poor lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donbou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone,,im new to this forum. Bought a power wagon 2012 and was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with poor lighting . My low beams on my previous ford vehicle was stronger than my high beams on my power wagon..Also getting this annoying hum from motor area around 90 kms hour.For now im keeping volume up higher to try and mask sound but is really anoying..anybody else having these issues...thanks in advance..

don from canada

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its well known around here how much the stock lighting on these trucks suck. you could always get HIDs, or even better projectors for your HIDs. then you get some great output

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all my lighting with Silverstar bulbs, significant increase. There are quite a few people on here that put HID's in their lights as well. If you do a search, I am sure you will find it. I agree tho, the stock lights suck. You should look at wiring your fogs to come on with your brights too (do another search).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lighting in most of these trucks needs improvement. I've never been a fan of halogen lights. My first HID kit was a European option sold on the Chevrolet B-body sedans during the early to mid 90's. I upgraded my 1995 Impala SS with those and never looked back.

I'd look at getting a set of HID's and projectors for your headlamps.

As far as the hum is concerned, without hearing it I may not be much help but what RPM are you seeing at 90 kmh?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, these lights blow!

I can fix that though. :D

Hit me up if you need some HIDs, projectors, anything!

shoff95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my lights over to the Sylvania Ultra Silver Stars and it helped. Not sure if the increase is worth $80 to $90 for the four bulbs though.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I highly advise that you upgrade to HIDs. With the factory 'quad' lgihts you can easily install HIDs in your low beams, which will make a dramatic improvement.

The RetroShop sells quality units that will make you satisfied with your lights.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HID will def. get you the max benefit, at a cost.
If you want to stick with halogen bulbs, buy H9's instead of H11s for the low beams. By filing a small plastic tab off the connector will fit perfectly, and the output is substantially higher.

Be aware that Sylvania overdrives their filaments in order to produce more light; with a given input voltage there is only so much a bulb can do, and you can't cheat physics.

I just spent $175 on hi/low PIAA (H11 low)bulbs and have to say I'm disappointed.
I'm leery of retrofitted headlights (nothing against anyone who does the work) as its a bit of a franken-light approach to me, and I prefer plug and play, stock-like solutions. You'll have to choose whats most important to you and how much you want to spend to remedy the poor light output.