Power Wagon as a daily commuter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFD707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Newbie here, howdy to all. I searched a few pages back and couldn't find a similar title, forgive me if this is a recurrence of a common thread.

Long and short of it is that I am researching my next pick up, and it will be my first HD. I need an HD for the volunteer work I do at my second home which is a retreat/family recreation center located in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. The camp is literally built off a lake into the side of a mountain, and I'm up there a few times a month logging, building, repairing and delivering all sorts of furniture and supplies to and from and around the camp. The need (especially in the winter, when 2ft of snow is the norm of 90 days straight) for ground clearence and suspension for off road logging and vehicular mountain navigation and delivery, with no one around within yelling or gunshot distance, and no cell service (so if I get stuck I'm screwed) (after months of research) leave the PW as the obvious best choice for me... and I frankly love it and want one.

I can hear ya: " So stop you're yakkin and get one ya dummy, what's the issue?".

Well, the thing is, I understand they're gas guzzlers. I won't be able to buy one for another year or two, and am grateful the 2014 has at least reduced the axle ratio to 4:10, still not the best fuel economy. I do understand the new 6.4 Hemis include the cylinder deactivation technology, which hopefully will help. The bottom line is, I can't afford 2 cars, so the PW would need be my primary, everyday commuter as well.

Wondering how many of you out ther can fill me in on whether it is your daily commuter as well, and any advice on whether it's the best idea (based on your experience), or whether it's (in your opinion) best to do what I can with a standard stock HD pickup. As always, any info is greatly appreciated.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is always a natural contradiction between performance and fuel efficiency (some things excluded, such as adjustable tunes, or multiple tunes which can be made to run more efficiently while still offering performance gains.

Hard parts, like tire sizes, gear ratios, etc always are aimed at a improvement in a specific area.

So, this is where it really becomes important in determining what your personal priorities are (off highway or towing performance vs fuel economy) and then just accept the negatives along with the positives.

I have posted before, my Power Wagon obviously has 4.56 gears, and no MDS. It weighs more than my 1500 with MDS and 3.92 gears and has more capabilities as far as heavy towing, hauling and being more durable in hard core off road conditions (IMHO - based really on the limits of the IRS vs the strength and simplicity of the solid axle front end).

The difference between the two at the pump across the board has been 3 mpg for me.

I am curious to see how much the MDS helps the new 6.4. Gear Ratio will do little for mpg gains, if at all, as it really just is designed to put the larger motor in it's powerband, where the 5.7 runs a little higher, thus making the 4.56's a better choice in that model.

Do you need the lockers and Winch?

If not, a well equipped 1500 with the 5.7 and the tow package, along with the Limited Slip rear differential will cost you a whole lot less, just as much of a work horse if you are willing to push it, and deliver about the best fuel economy you are going to get in a full size 4x4 pick up.

Or, if you are still a couple years off on a purchase, and want the pleasure of owning a "real" Power Wagon, hunt around and purchase a good one that is used. A few years on any of these trucks, and they will have plenty of life left, and be very discounted when compared to the window sticker on a new truck. Then drive the hell out of it, knowing you have all of those thousands of dollars of savings to eat up in fuel before you hit the same point.

If you are going to get a new truck, especially a limited production, highly optioned out rig, You Will Pay. In monthly payments, fuel and all of that.

Other than that, these new Power Wagons are so comfortable, well equipped and versatile, that they can handle any Daily Driver duty you can throw at it, while retaining an amazing level of off road capability.

That, or go get a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, and a nice flat bed trailer to haul all the extra stuff. Then you get a smaller, slightly more fuel efficient, off road capable vehicle that can haul all but the largest of loads, and you have the option of taking off the trailer and just having a "normal" vehicle to drive daily, without having to park, fuel and deal with a big full size truck.

But, those aren't cheap either. And you have to buy the trailer and store it somewhere.

There is no real way to escape it. You want capability, capacity, durability and confidence, you will have to pay for it.

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Power Wagon isn't a fuel milage friendly vehicle,nor are any of the HD diesel pickups made today.
My 1984 Chevy 3500 crew cab 4x4 dually with a 6.2 diesel got 24 mpg on the hwy.
My 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega cab 4x4 dually with a 5.9 diesel got 14 mpg on the hwy
The 2012 PW was getting around 17 mpg on the hwy before I lifted it and installed 35" tires,now it gets 12 mpg. This truck is just a toy to me,and I only drive it a few times a month,so I don't care about the mpg I get.

The diesel engines have been ruined by the EPA,and none of them get very good fuel mileage anymore.
The PW if left in stock form,wouldn't be a bad daily driver,but it's a big heavy truck,and will never win any awards for fuel economy.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive mine everyday. Very comfy but 12mpg. I carry a lot of stuff tho and tip the scale over 8k lbs. Has been places a full size truck should not be able to. Its awesome. If you got the itch it won't go away unless you get one.

Another note on fuel efficiency, there are a lot of 40-45mph roads around me. When on these roads I get close to 20mpg because it just barely drops into sixth gear. My highway driving it actually what hurts my mpg the most.

HEMI-ALERT!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
picture.php
[/IMG]

So smooth. Super nice interior. Lots of grunt.

walc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4L
My 2016 PW is my only vehicle.
I'm very happy with it as a daily driver.
Average MPG is 14 to 15, using the recommended 89 octane.

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the freewheel hub on my Powerwagon and I can squeak 13mpg if I'm real easy. But usall 12.

HEMI-ALERT!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Imagine the mileage with 6.4 and 4.56 rear of Gen 3. :puke:

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya we don't drive these trucks for the fuel mileage. Lol