Power Wagon issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adirondack Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon Off Road
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Recently bought a 2011 Power Wagon and hadn't had a chance to play in the mud with it till today . I had to do some work around the farm and decided to try the truck out in the mud . I got into a little wet area and played a little just to make sure the 4x4 worked etc . When it was in 2wd and the rear limited slip kicked in when the wheels started to spin I got a loud clicking noise from the rear end . Both side seemed to spin so the limited slip seemed to be engaged but there was a clicking the whole time like it wasn't engaging fully . I didn't end up not even needing to put it in 4x4 because with both rears spinning I walked right out of the mud . I did not engage the rear lockers as I didn't engage the 4x4 so not sure if that will get rid of the click . Anyone have any ideas or have experienced similar issues .

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the clicking sounds like the locker trying to engage.....

Not sure how you have a LSD AND a locker in the same axle.....have yet to see one made that way.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the clicking sounds like the locker trying to engage.....

Not sure how you have a LSD AND a locker in the same axle.....have yet to see one made that way.

All Power Wagons are made this way ('05+ anyway).

OP: might want to run by the dealer or a mechanic who knows what he is doing. Hard to diagnose stuff like this on a forum.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pull the diff cover, run the fluid that drains out through a coffee filter.
See if you're getting a lot of metal flakes. Hope you don't.

In theory, you should have no 'attempted engagement' of the locker by itself.

Make sure to clean out the housing really well, if you can get up to the pinion reservoir with your finger or a suction gun and get it ALL out.

I don't know what the spec oil is, but make sure it's the right spec for the Power Wagon. A lot of selectable lockers are quite picky with oil selection.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not sure what the clicking is but it doesn't sound right. The rear axle is a helical gear type limited slip differential and should not click. As others have mentioned, pull the cover and see what's going on.

This would also be a good time to clean the locker magnets while you're in there. I clean them with a q-tips and shop towels. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY OR YOU WILL FRY THE LOCKER ELECTRONICS! The lockers on the Power Wagons can be a little finicky to say the least and a common source is the magnets being covered in sludge.

Required oil is 75w90 and does not need the limited slip additive like the 1500. I used Mobil 1 for my last change.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wire the lockers direct and they will work every time and engage quick. Might having a few flashing lights though lol.