Power Wagon / Rubicon Unlimited Winch Recovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Too dark for any good footage.

Bummer, we had been 'saving' the batteries and memory card on both the digital camera and my old GoPro for 'something good'.

For the record - I was letting my son drive the Jeep , teaching him the fine art of speed, throttle and momentum vs finesse and picking good lines.

On second of hesitation in the wrong spot (a hidden quicksand trap in flowing creek sand and muck) and that was all it took. Then the sun went down. 4-Lo, Locking her up Front and Rear with me behind the wheel just churned it right down onto it's belly pan.

No worries. Time to call in my daughter with the Power Wagon. She found us out in the sticks just fine, but driving on the hard pack dry ledge, she rolled right up in 2WD to position for a straight line winch pull on the Rubicon in the stream bed, and it promptly began to sink .

Again, activating both lockers, shutting down the T/C and Stability Controls for some manual wheeling, in 4-HI with the swaybar disco'd for a little more articulation, and it crawled back about four feet and then the front steering skid plate served as a big snow shovel and buried the front end full of goop.

After running about 175' or so of line, we freed the smaller Jeep, then repositioned on higher ground and pulled the PW right out, as I slowly applied throttle to help it along.

No real damage to either vehicle, other than scratching some clear coat off the factory machined wheels on the truck. All the sand, pebbles and golf ball sized rocks churning and flowing into through the wheel openings, and in behind the hubs between the calipers and tin heat shields made for some nasty noises for a little bit, but that was it.

It actually took longer to wash off, re-organize and store all the recovery gear and clean and re-spool the Synthetic line evenly across the Winch Hub under a little tension, than it did to get both vehicles out in the first place.

Great Lessons, Memories and a fun story, all in a beautiful setting.

Nothing like spending 'quality family time' together on a Sunday evening.
Just irritated that the sun went down before we could capture some shots or footage of the actual pull itself and the techniques we were using for such a long distance pull.

Until next time...

sidedrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We own both a 2016 Power wagon and a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon. They both have their limits but they are both great rigs.