Power Wagon on Slick Rock -Pics-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Took the Power Wagon out to play on Sunday afternoon.

After running the shoreline and playing in the dunes and lower hills, we decided to ease 'er into 4Lo, dial up the front and rear lockers, hit the electronic swaybar disconnect and take a shot at some of the tall slickrock.

Even with wet, sandy tires, it just gripped and flexed all the way up and over without so much as a hint of wheel slip. *Like they all say; It was definitely taller, steeper and much more challenging in person that it appears in the pics. You you would almost have to crawl on your hands and knees to get up there, as you sure couldn't just walk alongside the truck.

Location: Glen Canyon Recreation Area / Lone Rock Beach OHV / Lake Powell right on the AZ / UT border.

Attachments

• 0302141609.jpg
    0302141609.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 0302141603.jpg
    0302141603.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 0302141608.jpg
    0302141608.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 0302141606.jpg
    0302141606.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 162

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Those pics are awesome. That looks like a blast. :waytogo:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I am so jealous of the area you are in because you have that playground in your backyard.

Truck looks greats and the view is just as good. Thanks for all these pics you take.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh, good. I thought everyone would be getting tired by now of all the pics I post all over the place.

I never get tired of seeing a badass Ram with the awesome backdrops you have there. If I could take a vacation I'd come hang with you and get some pics of my truck out there. All I have are fields, woods, and at the moment icebergs, lol.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You would have to try real hard in order to take a "bad" photo out here.

Though I am long overdue for a REAL camera. I take all this with my phone!

:boxed:

You let me know when you want to thaw out, I'll show you the sights!

:cheers:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good man. I'd love to have somewhere like that to go play in

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Damn I wish I had some terrain like that near me....Great pics btw

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Oh, good. I thought everyone would be getting tired by now of all the pics I post all over the place.

:doh2:

I never get tired of seeing a badass Ram with the awesome backdrops you have there. If I could take a vacation I'd come hang with you and get some pics of my truck out there. All I have are fields, woods, and at the moment icebergs, lol.

I'm originally from California so I enjoy seeing scenery like this and how beautiful it still is out West.

I agree with Cruizer, would be awesome to come out there but my stock 1500 would probably cry at the places you have gone in your PW! :boxed:

Plus all we got here is idiots, idiots and even bigger idiots, OH! Also icebergs as well that will take out pretty much anything short of a tank. :shakehead:

So both you and Cruizer are lucky, I wouldn't mind even a dirt path at this point. :mad:

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great pics. I'm jealous of your ride and your scenery

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my stock 1500 would probably cry at the places you have gone in your PW!

Thanks for the positive comments. I really need to find my GoPro and make some nice Vids to catch things in motion.

With more care, I could probably get my (or your) 1500 everywhere the Power Wagon has gone thus far. The Power Wagon just makes it so easy.

Instead of searching out the perfect line or worrying about getting stuck out in the sticks by yourself, you can just go. Most the time I just use basic 4Hi with the Sway Disconnect. The Lockers and Winch are just peace of mind, serving as sort of a virtual backup plan in case I ever get in over my head.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks for the positive comments. I really need to find my GoPro and make some nice Vids to catch things in motion.

With more care, I could probably get my (or your) 1500 everywhere the Power Wagon has gone thus far. The Power Wagon just makes it so easy.

Instead of searching out the perfect line or worrying about getting stuck out in the sticks by yourself, you can just go. Most the time I just use basic 4Hi with the Sway Disconnect. The Lockers and Winch are just peace of mind, serving as sort of a virtual backup plan in case I ever get in over my head.

Well that is some what comforting to hear that a stock 1500 could mostly follow you.

I hear you on the lockers and winch though, you have a stake or something to latch on to because I can't imagine to many things out there that a winch could use to get you out of trouble.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It doesn't help you much in the rocks, but a Pull-Pal is a good investment if you play in the sand or mud without nearby trees for anchors. I really need to buy one for myself. The one time I had the PW stuck was in wet sand with not trees around. The winch doesn't do much good without an anchor...

(Xtreme-Duty) PULL-PAL WINCH ANCHOR RW14000 : Amazon.com : Automotive

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The one time I had the PW stuck was in wet sand with not trees around. The winch doesn't do much good without an anchor...

That sounds familiar. But when I do it, I GO BIG! Why not sink it fully loaded with a trailer in tow!

Stopped on what appeared to be dry sand quite a ways from the shoreline and went to pull forward in 2WD and it broke through the crust layer and sank to the bumper in the underlying quick sand. The nearest good rock just out of reach. Luckily, just as I was getting ready to fully air down, disconnect the trailer and try a "self extraction" all locked up, a cool old timer showed up out of the Blue in a 1st Gen 3500 and let me use him as an anchor.

Out here I always carry a full kit of chains, long strap, water and a sheet of carpet in an old cooler in the bed. With the waterline receding daily, I also find old boat anchors that I can use if I am not in real bad shape.

If I really need to tug, without an anchor point around, like in a Sand Wash or Beach, I've heard you can dig a hole, drop your spare tire in it, bury it and then pull at a shallow angle with the winch. But, that would be a lot of work, and messy. Luckily that would be a last resort.

Attachments

• 1014131627.jpg
    1014131627.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 264
OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Deep, soft, damp sand seems to be the biggest challenge for this truck.

But I am always amazed at what a massive transformation takes place in both traction and ride quality just by airing down to like 30fr / 25 rr. It turns into a Dune romping Cadillac!

Though I just hate how long it takes to air down, then air back up again when I am done playing. But, it is a lot better than walking home!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 233
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 83

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I remember seeing the camper picture a ways back and wondering how in the world that happen, lol. Nice to see someone out having a blast in their truck. Once I get up on 35's (ordered) I'll be finding a mud hole to play in.