Power wagon upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtmoparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum so forgive me if I don't know what I'm doing.

I currently have a 1978 Power wagon body mounted on a 1973 frame. I was looking for any documentation as to what it would take to put a 4 or 5 speed auto behind the 318 that is in the truck currently. I am also considering swapping to a 08 or newer 4.7.Anyone out there done this swap or am I crazy!
Thank s
Mtmoparman

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you need a complete doner truck for the swap for all the electrical involved that makes an 08 work. I think would need a custom harness made, fuel tank, ect, and ect.
For the cost of all that work/parts you could build a bad *** 318 and tranny combo that would make a 4.7 swap look weak IMO.

OP
OP
M

mtmoparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply...I really have one thing in mind since I want to drive it and that is gas mileage. I have 3 old 318's and a 340. I like the new 318 magnum as well as a 4.7. Do the 318 Magnums have a hydrlic roller set-up or woulod I not gain anything there. 5 speed auto a must.
I know I will need ECU's for any new motors but that would only make the engine run more efficient ,right.
mtmoparman