Question about 4lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 PW with the manual transfer case. I know what the manual says, the recommended way to put it into 4lo is to be rolling in neutral at a speed of 5 mph or lower. That's all fine and dandy when that's possible, but what about those times when you're stuck and want to put it into 4lo to engage the lockers? I've done it a few times and it went into 4lo just fine, but a few other times when I've tried it just didn't want to go into 4lo at all. I had to drive the vehicle a few feet and then it went in. Again, that's fine if you're not stuck, but if you're already stuck and can't move the vehicle, what do you do if it just won't go into 4lo? And why doesn't it want to go into 4lo sometimes?

Also, one more quick question. What does the tire light load button do?

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tire light load reduces the required minimum pressure in the tires to keep the low tire pressure alert off. I think it is supposed to be for when you are empty and want a smoother ride, but I keep mine at 60psi all the time and don't use it.

The 4lo not going in is the same thing on just about every 2 speed transfer case. They want you to be rolling to the teeth have a chance to mesh up better. If you are stopped and the teeth are not lined up, you will just be ramming one set of teeth against the other and it will not engage. If you are really that stuck you can either winch out, or recognize your terrain a littler better and realize when you will need 4lo so you can engage it before you are stuck.

I engage 4lo on anything but easy logging roads. It is just much easier on your engine and trasmission and will keep temps down. It will also help keep the transmission from up/down shifting all the time.

Hope I am close on this, for some reason I am doubting the validity of what I just wrote. Must be one of those days.

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply, I think you're right.

Would spinning the tires at a very low speed help line the teeth up? I haven't actually been stuck yet (although I tried yesterday in very deep snow, but it climbed right out), so I'm just curious for when the time comes

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you only do that once in a blue moon, you should be OK. The best bet would be to plan ahead and engage 4lo when it looks like you are likely to need it.

Use the light load button when you lower your rear tire pressure to 45 PSI so that your TPMS doesn't keep throwing alerts.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really see how you could spin the tires to get it into 4lo since you need to be in neutral to shift it into 4lo?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the truck is stationary and won't engage 4Lo you can bump the tranny into drive a couple of times to move the gears a little. It will clunk, but it will engage.

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the truck is stationary and won't engage 4Lo you can bump the tranny into drive a couple of times to move the gears a little. It will clunk, but it will engage.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

I don't plan on needing to do this, but it's still good to know

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shaner, good to hear you are out getting to know your truck. This can be fun, intimidating and confusing all at the same time. Especially with a Power Wagon that is equipped with so many options / combinations of settings.

Believe me, I've been 4-Wheeling in a wide variety of numerous vehicles over the years, in all kinds of terrain. I still get embarrassed that I cannot simply answer some questions with total confidence, when it comes to certain combinations and when and what the truck is doing aside from what I am trying to get it to do.

The truck almost offers too many options in this regard, and a mind bending, almost secret programming that has it do things automatically that are second nature, while NOT doing or allowing things that would be considered just the basics in the world of old.

Just like the advancement of technology in cars and motorcycles, for 80% of the drivers in 90% of conditions, it works. For those "Ten Percenters" that get into one of those odd situations, those folks can use skill, experience and intelligence to obtain a better outcome. That is when you have a problem.

I've said it before, and though the liability lawyers and drivetrain management (warranty) people would see no point, some times it is fun, sometimes it is plain necessary to have a motorcycle that will lock only the rear wheel, loft the front tire or have a car that you can shut the stability control off completely. I have almost gotten stuck, by going into a small damp sandy cove, and tried to "bust a donut" by going into 2WD from 4WD. Instead it fought me tooth and nail to remain in "control".

Driving these complex vehicles is work. Just as you shouldn't just drive down the highway on "autopilot", going off road is tremendously more demanding. You are always reading terrain, evaluating your available traction, and speed compared to suspension parameters. This means, you will be going in and out of 4 Hi / 4 Lo and definitely turning on and off the lockers in various combinations. This is good for you - getting where you want to go - and the truck, as you can harm it being dumb and leaving it "Fully Locked Up" with a load on hard, dry pavement.

Take your time. Take an experienced friend, and a back up vehicle when possible. Have a good recovery kit and a plan. Then go have fun and experiment. Find the limitations... slowly. Speed kills. Ease into things and again, take your time to learn what drags, what surfaces you will sink and what air pressures work. Don't panic and "Whisky Throttle" through stuff... you'll get stuck, break stuff and get angry.

Ask questions. That is what we are here for. If you were close, I would take you out and show you the ropes.

Double the time you plan on being out... work or the girlfriend DO NOT want to hear you were out and "lost track of time" and did not show up to a prior engagement. And you will... That is part of the fun. Getting away.

Hope that encourages you to go experiment. But, do it smart.
Wish I could join you. Exposing the great world of off roading to someone is a great experience.

Just expect little hang ups. Take notes if you have to. Taking pictures is a MUST!

Good luck!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I engage 4lo on anything but easy logging roads.
Hope I am close on this, for some reason I am doubting the validity of what I just wrote.

I hear you on just about every point you made. Thing is, every person, driving style and type of terrain is different.

When my '07 was basically a "city" truck for the first five years, I would switch it in 4Hi and drive around on anything other than packed pavement. This, more to put some miles on the drivetrain, and keep everything "lubed up" and functioning in the transfer case and rest of the system, so that it WAS there when I did need it.

Now that I am out in the sticks, the Power Wagon has logged more miles in 4Lo than the 1500 has in its entire lifetime in 4Hi in the last six months !!!

Funny, comparing the two goofing off on the Dune Hills down by the lake this afternoon while trying to grab a "Photo Challenge" shot, it struck me as to how different the two trucks feel. The 1500 is very capable, yet soft and low. A little more "fragile" feeling with the IRS than the solid axles in the 'Wagon. That just may be in my head. Though, even with the 3.92's in the 1500, it's 4-Lo feels just a notch below the 4Hi in the 'Wagon. The PW really has a serious set of deep gears in it's 4Lo, combined with the 4.56's etc. Talking about not wearing things out... I feel like I have to really stand on the brakes to come to a complete stop in 4Lo or get it to really creep around. It feels like it could overpower it's brakes with all that torque multiplication going on, definitely not the case in 4HI or in the 1500 at all.

Believe it or not, I wish 4HI in the Power Wagon were just a tad shorter geared. I have had a few times where it would bog, even WOT in first gear, typically trying to churn through deep sand uphill. Then 4Lo would just dig holes, when I needed just a tad more momentum and wheel speed to stay on top. I guess that is where the 6.4 lust comes in. I bet that, with the 4.10's bridges that gap nicely.

Then again, I've never tried running around in anything higher than 2nd or 3rd when I was in 4lo. Maybe just let it exercise all Six transmission gears and whine away? Spinning the transfer case internals that fast at higher road speeds always sort of freaked me out. Again from the old school of thought, were 4Lo meant nothing over 25 mph or so. I guess I don't think I have read or heard of any speed limitations regarding 4Lo and transfer case damage with these trucks. I mean I wouldn't try going 60 all day or anything, but now I wonder.

Anyone know the official word on that? They used to put stickers in glove boxes, dash boards or sun visors. Maybe that has gone the way of the dinasours as well?

Last edited: