So, what if ... ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
... I improved my truck to be like a Power Wagon?

Hello all

Been on the forum since last Christmas. I appreciate all of the insight provided here.

Looking at all the other tucks, I think about what I would like to do with mine. I've always wanted to improve the capability some but don't want to go over the top.

Then I thought, "THAT'S A POWER WAGON! "

I'm not looking to throw some stickers on and sell it to some gullible schmuck. I'm looking for a basically stock truck with improved performance and mild off road capability.

So the question is this. What would I do to mod my mega cab to bring it closer to a power wagon?

I know of the larger bfg stock tires, winch, sway bar disconnect, and locker. I also know the newer pw has the 6.4 hemi.

What else is there?
Are there stock performance parts? Intake? Exhaust? Lift or level?

I would start on the easy/cheap end and work my way to the more complicated.

Of course, I could always sell my mega cab and just buy a pw, but I have 4 kids in car seats so I like the space :D

Suggestions, thoughts, comments, and ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance

Rok

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put a full Carli suspension under it.
4.56 gears with a locker in the rear, selectable locker in the front.

Do everything a PW does.

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks White,

I don't know that I will get it "all the way" to power wagon status, but I'll start moving that direciton.

My truck had the 4.10 option, which was one of the available gear sets for the pw.

I'll probably leave that, but I will get a locker.

Other things I've noticed in my research are a 2 inch lift (like you said), and fender flares.

I will also upgrade my rear leaf springs to 2500 status since mine is a 1500 mega...

:favorites13:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If im wrong please correct me but I thought I read that the 1500 megacab has 2500 suspension on a 1500 frame.... so you should have the 2500 springs as it sits. If I'm right that is :)

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
4.10s were never an option on a Power Wagon. It's always been 4.56s up until 2014, which are now 4.10s with the 6.4L.

Your 1500 Mega Cab is a 2500 with slight softer rear leafs. There nothing else that's different except for the badges on the doors. It shares no suspension or frame parts with a 1500.

As mentioned, if you want an awesome suspension package, slap on a full Carli suspension package. The performance 2.5 pin-top package is awesome. I don't think a regear from 4.10 to 4.56 is going to be worth the swap, big bucks for little gain. If you do a gear swap, I'd go with 4.88s with some ARB air lockers. That's a much better gear for 35s on a heavy 2500. Having said that, if you can find a couple of power wagon axles and just swap them over, that would be much more cost effective.

I'd also forget about the electric sway bar disconnect. It's not something that you can just bolt up and expect to work. Just go with the Carli sway bar, it's softer than the stock bar and will articulate better. If you need more articulation for some more extreme offroading, just unbolt it.

Last thing I'll mention is keep in mind that your Mega Cab is very long. The Power Wagon is already a long truck and the extra length on your truck isn't going to help anything. This make turning on tight trails pretty tough (without body damage at least) and high centering becomes a bigger possibility. And don't slap on Power Wagon decals. You can make your truck an awesome offroad truck, just don't say it's a Power Wagon... ;)

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Once again, Myoung84 nails it perfectly. Tech and opinion are spot on.

Good luck with the project and enjoy yourself in the build.

:favorites13:

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Awesome input.

Thank you much.

Don't worry about pw decals. Never part of the plan. I want the truck... if I really wanted a power wagon pedigree that bad i'd trade this one. ;)

I do very little hard core off roading, but go down plenty of donkey trails for hunting and fishing here in Alaska. These mods will get me close enough to what I'm looking for.

I was looking at the carli suspension packages. Not sure which one I will go with at this point, but I appreciate the advice. And good idea on the sway bar.

Other minor things that I noticed: cab marker lights, fender flares, and lose the mud flaps :D

I'll start with the mud flaps this weekend. Just went back to work for the school year.

This will be a slow build, but I will drop in from time to time and keep you updated.

Thanks
Rok

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am in the process of trying to do the same thing you are trying to accomplish. I just have to wait until tax return season hopefully. The difference is I have a 2014 2500 so i need the factory front radius arms which I'm sure will cost as much as an entire lift kit for the pre 2014's... I have been trying to aquire the front and rear axles and smartbar but have been unsuccessful so far... And i even work for the company that makes them!

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
progress update

duratracs mounted and mud flaps removed (finally).

Looks nice.

Phone too dead to take a pic tonight. Will post pics tomorrow.

Slowly but surely...

Rok

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pics

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414947136679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414947136679.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 57
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414947191023.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414947191023.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Mega Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've heard both sides too. My brother had some duratracs on his 2010 r am 1500. He liked them and then had trouble getting them balanced.

Of course, they were 19s and he just did highway commuting, so I'm sure it was easy to notice.

It was between these and bfg at and I couldn't pass up this deal.

A guy on here who works for an oil company up on the slope says they use them on their company trucks and he was so impressed he bought a set for his truck.

I was sold.

I'll rotate regularly like with any at or mt tire and hope for the best.
:D

Rok