Talk me into or out of a PW.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trikebubble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I'm looking to change directions a little from our present adventure rig. I currently have am Xterra kitted out for overland travel, backcountry adventure, etc.
I have decided that I want to move to a full size truck and 4 wheel camper combination. I realize in everything is a compromise and am prepared for the few limitations that a full size rig might bring, compared to my current smaller rig, given the advantages of its capabilities of hauling a 4 wheel camper.
My plan is to purchase a full size capable rig that will (hopefully) serve me for 10 to 15 years. Our adventures consist of day trips, weekend outings, and multiple week overland on and off road expeditions. Next summer we are planning on driving to Inuvik and beyond.
I am trying to figure if a PW is the tight vehicle for me. Honestly the only concern I question is highway mileage. My Xterra is lifted and locked, has a winch that gets used, and has taken us some pretty amazing places. I would want a full size rig that is as close to capable off road as the X, as possible.
I like the idea of the PW, as it seems to be ready right out of the box.
My budget is about 35K Canadian, which puts me I to the 2012'ish range it seems.
So here (finally) is my question. Is the PW something I should consider. The X gets horrible mileage so I'm prepared and ready to get friendly with a fuel pump. Us their a real benefit of the new 6.4 over the older 5.7? In my case I will not ever be towing anything of substance, and I figure my max payload would top out st 2000pds. I have built both a Jeep, and X from stock and would really like the idea of just stepping into a very capable truck. It is the mileage and the difference/benefits of motor units that I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2054d0be2a94b5d21ae157f2ee7dcc5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of the box the Power Wagon is very capable. Already has a winch, 3 lockers, and a motor with plenty of low end grunt when needed. The Hemi regardless of its 5.7 or 6.4 has the power to get through nearly anything, will last if you maintain it. Fuel isnt a great thing for a 3 ton truck, but on average my father whos 50% highway is averaging in the 18mpg range.

Great truck and if I could afford one I would get it.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
If you are going to want a 2000 lb payload, you will need to look into some long travel air bags as Power Wagons have a 1500 lb rating. Other than that, get yourself a Power Wagon!

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I'm looking to change directions a little from our present adventure rig. I currently have am Xterra kitted out for overland travel, backcountry adventure, etc.
I have decided that I want to move to a full size truck and 4 wheel camper combination. I realize in everything is a compromise and am prepared for the few limitations that a full size rig might bring, compared to my current smaller rig, given the advantages of its capabilities of hauling a 4 wheel camper.
My plan is to purchase a full size capable rig that will (hopefully) serve me for 10 to 15 years. Our adventures consist of day trips, weekend outings, and multiple week overland on and off road expeditions. Next summer we are planning on driving to Inuvik and beyond.
I am trying to figure if a PW is the tight vehicle for me. Honestly the only concern I question is highway mileage. My Xterra is lifted and locked, has a winch that gets used, and has taken us some pretty amazing places. I would want a full size rig that is as close to capable off road as the X, as possible.
I like the idea of the PW, as it seems to be ready right out of the box.
My budget is about 35K Canadian, which puts me I to the 2012'ish range it seems.
So here (finally) is my question. Is the PW something I should consider. The X gets horrible mileage so I'm prepared and ready to get friendly with a fuel pump. Us their a real benefit of the new 6.4 over the older 5.7? In my case I will not ever be towing anything of substance, and I figure my max payload would top out st 2000pds. I have built both a Jeep, and X from stock and would really like the idea of just stepping into a very capable truck. It is the mileage and the difference/benefits of motor units that I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How capable is a Power Wagon stock? This capable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2wa_0GtzvA

You won't regret it, but I do feel the 6.4 is better than the 5.7 in terms of power and performance. The later years 2014+ have a better suspension setup. You can clear 35's for example on the 2014's with no modifications what so ever. On the early years, you'd have problems.

My rig is setup to do double duty. Tow and Overland and as you can see, I do both pretty dang well. I love this truck. And I bought it like you as it was just ready to go and super capable.

If you want some ideas, check out my build thread on Overland Bound: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/boldadventures-2015-ram-power-wagon-build.7523/

Ghaugo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use mine for hunting, off-road, towing, and everything else. It seems to be the best at doing everything. The mileage is not great, but no big trucks get great mileage. I have a 2012 with the 5.7, and it seems to do very well. I have not done any heavy or long distance towing yet, but it has handled all of my trips very easily. I test drove the 6.4, and it did not seem as quick as the 5.7. I think the different rear end gears make a big difference, but I would need to drive them side by side to tell. Either way, I think most of the guys who are into your type of trips would like the power wagon. Have fun looking!

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my last build was an extremely capable JKU Rubicon...snorkel, dual battery, OBA, IBP OME BP51 shocks, 37s, mid arms,Winch,Lights.......

had i just stepped up to the plate with the POWERWAGON years ago, i would have never bought another jeep, and i would have already had the Powerwagon for 5 of the 10 years i plan to own it...

this is the ultimate SHTF/OVERLAND/EXPO/CROSSCOUNTRY/ANYTERRAIN/ANYWEATHER TRUCK!

between the Axle spec with factory lockers
factory WARN
spacious
generous stock tire/suspension spec
most rugged looking truck

10K and you turn your PW into the ultimate overlander.
it is heavy but have you heard anyone actually complain? at least it can always get itself up and out, with reliability.

(p.s. owned the jeep for only a couple months after it was built...no power,terrible mileage,week axles for oversized tires,not very comfortable cabin. sold it for a Hellcat....so i probably would have never owned the hellcat had i got a powerwagon instead of the jeep. so win win)
IMG_0427.jpg IMG_0431.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I use my 2016 Power Wagon to tow our a 2016 Starcraft AR-one 15RB Extreme travel trailer with its stock 5 inch lift, 29 inch light truck tires, and the Arctic weather package. Even though being retired we continue to explore some very isolated areas within the Intermountain West of the USA.

In order to assure that we make it to our designation and back my wife and I chose the Power Wagon due to its off road extreme capabilities with the winch.

Last edited:

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I use my 2016 Power Wagon to tow our a 2016 Starcraft AR-one 15RB Extreme travel trailer with its stock 5 inch lift, 29 inch light truck tires, and the Arctic weather package. Even though being retired we continue to explore some very isolated areas within the Intermountain West of the USA.

In order to assure that we make it to our designation and back my wife and I chose the Power Wagon due to its off road extreme capabilities with the winch.

Do you have any pictures of your PW and TT? Do you know what the weight is of your TT?

RAYDEL PORTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok here is my 2 cents. I live in miami so no offroad experience whatsoever or desires really. I dont own a trailer or a boat. And after owning a 2012 ram 3500 dually (for no reason either just because i could) for 6 years i decided to trade down or up depending on opinions and i just cant be any happier. Its just a bad ass truck and the only reason i would ever get rid of it is to get a newer one lol

20180207_100235.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of your PW and TT? Do you know what the weight is of your TT?
2018011795074904.jpg 2018012495114152.jpg
Photos taken in January 2018 at Dewey, Utah and Sand Mountain Recreation Area, Nevada. Last photo taken today in my yard. 20 lb propane tank under the TT showing plenty of ground clearance.

Empty 2,786 pounds with full propane and
3,200 gross for the 15RB AR-one Extreme.

KIMG0354.jpg

Last edited: