What is the best Exhaust up grade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montanapowerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Laramie Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have just received my new Beast .A 2014 Power Wagon Laramie in Black Gold.
She needs a little throatier sound.The dealer ordered a magna flow cat back for the hemi 6.4 short bed.It would not fit ! the skid plates and hanger placement put the pipes right next to the drive line.She remains a whisperer for now. Any luck out there with yours ????

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome!

No advice on Cat-back systems, but I just wanted to remind you, if you were not already aware, that when they upped the motor size from the 5.7 to the 6.4 in the 2014 rigs, they went back and put the Cylinder Deactivation feature on the Power Wagons.

Make sure you know what you are getting (may put a tunable programmer on the shopping kart list to deactivate that feature) so that you are not surprised when it starts droning and sounding like it is not running correctly, when light on the throttle. Which is what made many with the other trucks with the 5.7 crazy early on.

Good luck! I am sure someone will come along shortly with a good suggestion on brand name, part numbers, etc.

:)

OP
OP
M

montanapowerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thank you very much Brakelate !!!! I was wondering about that.Magna flow sells one for the 6.4.But the the hangers dont work on Power wagons because of the skidplates. It puts it right up next to the driveline.The dealer I bought the truck from ordered it and spent several hours trying to make it work at no cost to me ! Any way I am hoping that a exhaust company can tweek the pipes , and that these mufflers were designed for the 6.4 . I will contact magna flow on monday and ask them about the deactivation . THANKS AGAIN !!!!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No problem. Glad to see another PW owner around!

Sure is nice, that the whole experience did not cost you anything... most make the customer pay for their mistakes.

It is usually a bit slow around here on weekends (when the weather is nice). Everyone is out playing. Wait until Monday, when everyone gets back to 'work' and logs back in to catch up. Then you should have several people chime in about what systems work, what they decided to go with, and why.

I am bone stock, so I am afraid I cannot help. But, I have heard of these issues before.

Also go over to the "6.4 thread" in the driveline section and do some reading. It does go on for days, and takes a few odd twists and turns (the strange "3rd shock" phenomenon, etc. But it is worth your time to hear all the other new and prospective owner's opinions, questions and comments.

Everyone sure loves the new 6.4 in the 2500's, with mpg right at what the 5.7's were getting, but with more "truck like" power.

Just watch your oil filter gasket, as some have had issues with those blowing out on brand new rigs for some reason. Other than that, they sound bulletproof.

Maybe do your first oil change early just to get that factory filter off there and be safe.

Good Luck and happy reading!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is the link to that "6.4 Thread". It can be a bit hard to go back and find things, with all the various "topic / model specific" sections and areas in this fine forum board.

You'll get used to it pretty quickly and likely become a fun obsession, or at least a great resource for tech info.

Like I said, it is long, as it started before they even hit the streets with the new motor. So, some scanning and skipping will be required to get through the 100+ pages with your sanity in check. But, it will be worth the trip.

Again, good luck. OH, and POST PICS of your new rig!!! Go ahead, start a new thread and show us what you have! We would love to see it!

:favorites13:

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/6_4_hd_hemi_thread-41378/

Steve21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't have the powerwagon, but I do have a 6.4

I have a gibson exhaust on mine. No drone at all. Try buying there muffler and having a reputable shop fab up a kit. 100% satisfied with mine.. It actually sounds like a truck now.

viper919

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always like the sounds of magnaflow

OP
OP
M

montanapowerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would love to if i knew how to put the pictures in here.And thanks for the 6.4 link. Magna Flow says they are working on the Power Wagon cat back so if they dont make it in the next month or two,I will have a shop make one.AND I did change the oil at 1000 miles.Thanks again my friend

OP
OP
M

montanapowerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Nice Ram Long Horn very nice trucks !!!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would love to if i knew how to put the pictures in here.

Hit the "Reply" button.

When the page opens, scroll down below the narrative box to the "Manage Attachements" area.

Hit "Browse".... it will open up files in your computer where your photos are kept. Hit "pictures" file. Double Click on the one you want.

Then hit "Load". If the files are not too large or of an odd origin, it should do all the work for you, showing that it is loaded.

You can add three or four pics per post.

Then when done, just hit "Submit Reply". It should pop your response right up with the pic inside.

Repeat as necessary. :favorites13:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45