2011 Serpentine Belt Replacement -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwillis0415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey everyone, first off let me say hello as this is my first post to the community and with that said please if I posted this in the wrong section I do apologize.

Here is what is going on:

I have a 2011 Big horn with a 5.7. I tried to change out my belt yesterday as I have some nasty noise coming from it. After spraying it with water and having it quiet down I pretty much chalked it up to needing a new belt and idler pully. (truck has 110,000 Miles)

So I went to the part store and bought a new belt and a new pully. I go out to my truck, pop the hood, use a 3/8 ratchet and loosen the tension and pop the old belt off. I stuck half my body in the engine bay to reach the tensioner to loosen the belt and everything was now free.

Now my question is: HOW THE HECK DO YOU REMOVE THE FRICKEN BELT?

My fan is connected directly to one of the pully's, do I have to remove the entire shroud and fan and spline shaft to remove the belt? This seems a bit odd as I have never ever had to do anything like this for changing a belt.

Am I just not seeing how to get the belt out of the engine compartment? Do I have to remove the fan or is there a way around this?

Any help would be appreciated, its driving me nuts!

I cant imagine breaking down on the side of the road and going to do a simple belt swap and have to remove half of the front of the truck to do it.

This is my first Hemi, coming from a Ford F250.....

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be a diagram for the routing for the belt under the hood. The only thing you need is the belt and a 3/8 drive breaker bar for the tensioner pully to loosen the belt from the pullys. I believe you have to feed the belt over the fan but you do not have to remove the fan. There are YouTube vids on how to.

OP
OP
B

bwillis0415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey thanks for the info. I must have to take the shroud off then. I've had the old belt off two or three times but for the life of me couldn't get it routed out of the engine compartment. I can see removing the top shroud to get the belt around the fan, just wouldn't of thought ram would make it that much of a pain in the ass.

I drive around with tools and extra belts in all my trucks and it was hard for me to believe that you had to take the entire fan assembly out.

I'll pop the top shroud off and see if I can slip the belt over, that makes sense to me!

I'll post a response after I check it!

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

bwillis0415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so I'm an idiot, well maybe not an idiot just wasn't thinking. You have to pull the belt around the fan but you don't have to pull the shroud off, There is enough room if you can get at the right angle and move the belt over the fan and under the shroud.

Anyway, problem solved, 15 minute fix!

Thanks for the responses, I was way over thinking this one!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Ok so I'm an idiot, well maybe not an idiot just wasn't thinking. You have to pull the belt around the fan but you don't have to pull the shroud off, There is enough room if you can get at the right angle and move the belt over the fan and under the shroud.

Anyway, problem solved, 15 minute fix!

Thanks for the responses, I was way over thinking this one!

Don't feel bad man. I just went through the same thing. lol
Took the belt off and was like uuuuuuuuhhhhh. How am I supposed to get it over the fan pulley.

I also found it a little easier starting underneath and taking the lower shroud off. After that just took a few trys to get some routed and adjusted.