2012 RAM 1500 Rear shock install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usafwarrior930

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
hey guys, I'm trying to do an install of new rear shock absorbers on my 2012 ram 1500. I've done shock installs before and never had any issues, but I can't seem to figure out how to loosen the top shock bolt. It's recessed from the frame enough that I can't get a socket on it, and there isn't enough room to fit in a wrench.

I've read some places that the nut is supposed to be welded to the frame and you just turn out the bolt, but when I crank on the bolt the nut turns with it, so I'm not sure if that's just BS or if maybe the weld broke free.

Any suggestions/comments if someone has done this before on this year truck would be appreciated. Thanks!

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a stubby. Some guys have had luck with a crows foot as well. I just cut a 21mm wrench and was able to get it eventually. There are a few threads on here about it.

The nut isn't welded, but a lot of lift kits come with new top nuts that have a tab. I'm sure these nuts could be purchased separately somewhere, so it would be a lot easier the next time around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

usafwarrior930

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Yea I was looking around and thought that possibly a crowsfoot might work out if I could find a skinny one. A 12 point would actually probably make it easier too.

Thanks guys!

ricky2010hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
After installing my lift I struggled with it too. I ended up getting vice grips on the nut side and ratchet on the bolt side, helps if you take your liners out too