2012 Ram 2500 SLT front bumper and fog light add

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardoza76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
SOOOOOOOOO,

I just completed the bumper swap on my 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 to have the Fog Lights added. I found a number of forums that I pieced together to get all the information I needed. There were a lot of questions I had once I started (obviously I figured it out). I decided that I would post exactly what you need (by part numbers), in one post, and how to complete this from start to finish. Here it is:

Parts needed:
68146507AA switch $43
68045949AA jumper cable $60
55372735AB left light $60
55372734AB right light $60
68054374AB Brackets $35
68045698AB Bumper $200 (I used the mounting brackets and skirt from my old bumper)

** You can use aftermarket for less, or MOPAR for more... up to you, but I went with all MOPAR

First, There are 8 bolts that hold the bumper on. You will need to remove the covers on top and bottom that are held on by the plastic one way clips. Then remove the grill. There are 2 bolts on top, then two clips at the bottom that pop out. removing the 8 bolts was fun (not really). The bottom ones were more difficult to get to, but eventually came out. The bumper comes off easily.

The bolts on the bumper have retainers. You can hammer the bolts and replace the retainers, or I used tape to hold the bolts in place on the install. Remove the brackets and skirt from the old bumper. Mount the fog light bracket and fog lights on the new bumper with the mounting brackets (you cannot put them in after...lesson learned) put the skirt back on.... keep track of your bolts to ease the reinstall.

Put the new bumper back onto the truck by working in reverse order. Once you have the bumper secured, you can install the jumper cable. Attach the passenger side first, then run it through the bumper to the other side. Do not zip strip until you have found the correct routing point (another lesson learned). I used a small wire to run a tail from near the fuse box to pull the jumper cable back up.

This is where I got hung up before.... Unclip the fuse box so you can see the plugs on the bottom side. The plug you will be looking for is in the middle on the bottom. It will have a red lift tab and the plug is a light grey/beige color. You will need to pull this plug out (lift the red tab and gently wiggle the plug off). you will notice little plastic tabs in some of the holes where wires are not present. To remove these and to place your fog light wires, you have to remove the bottom of the plug (opposite of where the individual wires plug in). The bottom looks like it separates the connections so they do not touch. The plastic plugs can be removed from here. You are looking for #11 and #16 positions for the fog lights. The jumper cable connections fit perfectly in here if you used the MOPAR jumper cable. Replace the cap, and put it back in the fuse box. Secure the ground to the ground near the fuse box on the fender, and put the fuse box back in place.

Take the switch with the fog light button, and remove the one in the truck without it. You can do this by reaching up from under the dash and popping out the old one. Unhook the plug, plug the new one in, and push it into the dash.

You are now complete with the entire installation. Head down to your local Dodge dealer so the can flash the fog light sales code and you are good to go!

**** Advice.... Do not buy any parts from the dealer. They will hassle you about your vin # and parts not being available for your vehicle if it didn't come that way from the factory. ROCKAUTO .com sells the after-market version of everything, and amazon and ebay has the MOPAR versions. The part numbers can be used in the search to find everything. The jumper cable and switch said they are for the 1500, but also work on the 2500 (I know because I used them). The dealers charge differently for flashing the sales code in your vehicle, so shop around... $75 should be the highest with $50 being about right.

All in all, A buddy and I completed this job in about 2 hours.

Hope this helps.... lot's of lessons learned.

Attachments

• plug pic.jpg
    plug pic.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 569
  • plug location pic.jpg
    plug location pic.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 945

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Been thinking about doing this and found your write up. Thanks.

Silverhawx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Ram 3500 that did not have driving lights. I swapped out the bumper for a 2014 with the lights and harness already installed. I have wires under the drivers front headlight area. Looks like 2 plugs together. Both look like 2 pin plugs.
The plug on my new bumper is a 4 pin plug for the lights.

It is my understanding with what I have I need the Headlight switch that is set up for the fog lights and a jumper cable 68045949AA.

After installing both of these as stated above then I have the system flashed with a code then the lights will work.

Does this sound right?

Thanks for the help.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have a 2011 Ram 3500 that did not have driving lights. I swapped out the bumper for a 2014 with the lights and harness already installed. I have wires under the drivers front headlight area. Looks like 2 plugs together. Both look like 2 pin plugs.
The plug on my new bumper is a 4 pin plug for the lights.

It is my understanding with what I have I need the Headlight switch that is set up for the fog lights and a jumper cable 68045949AA.

After installing both of these as stated above then I have the system flashed with a code then the lights will work.

Does this sound right?

Thanks for the help.
You have the harness for 2013+ trucks. You'll need the fog light jumper for 2010-2012 trucks. Doesn't matter if it's for half tons or HD's. You'll also need the headlight switch w/fogs button then you'll need to have the dealer add the sales code LNJ.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Silverhawx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the jumper wire plug into the harness by the front driver's side headlight and then to the fog light connector on the bumper and 2 wires to the fuse box?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Does the jumper wire plug into the harness by the front driver's side headlight and then to the fog light connector on the bumper and 2 wires to the fuse box?
If I remember right, 10-12 jumper is 1 piece, at one end is your L and R fog light connections and the other is is the end that has pins that go into the TIPM. I have a thread on here on adding fogs to a 2012 1500. I'll see if I can find it. Everything will be the same for 2500/3500's. I used the same parts on a 2010 2500. Only difference is what color connector the fog light feed is in.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If I remember right, 10-12 jumper is 1 piece, at one end is your L and R fog light connections and the other is is the end that has pins that go into the TIPM. I have a thread on here on adding fogs to a 2012 1500. I'll see if I can find it. Everything will be the same for 2500/3500's. I used the same parts on a 2010 2500. Only difference is what color connector the fog light feed is in.

How about our 15's? Does the jumper cable come with instructions on where to plug the wires into the PDC or am I at the mercy of the internets?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
How about our 15's? Does the jumper cable come with instructions on where to plug the wires into the PDC or am I at the mercy of the internets?
The jumper for the 15's only goes as far as the driverside fender. For 13+ the remaining section is built into the headlight harness. @Mpgrimm should have the capability to build a harness to go from the jumper to the PDC. Then it's pins 23/24 that you connect to. There are a few threads on here that contain pictures from me and a member from another forum of the correct plug you'll need

Silverhawx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would seem if I have a bumper fully wired over to the drivers front side 10 inches away from the wires coming from my truck to run fog lights
There should only be a 10 inch jumper to connect the bumper harness to the truck harness. Or am I missing something.
Truck--------------------=. =-----------------------Bumper

=-------=
Jumper

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
On 2010 through 2012 HD and 09-12 1500's there is a single jumper harness that goes from the fog lights up to the tipm.

The end that goes to the tipm looks like this.
Screenshot_2015-11-25-08-47-09_zpslltofqaa.png

On 2013+ 1500/2500/3500 trucks the other half of the feed for the fog lights is built into the main headlight harness.
The end of the jumper that comes off the fogs looks like this

i150_zps9bcbabb5.jpg

There is no way to purchase just that small section separately. You can either have someone build one using factory components or buy the complete headlight harness. The harness you have won't work for your truck. You can find the correct harness online for $30-50

Silverhawx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information guys.
One more question and I'll be done.
If I wanted to put the lights on a separate switch.
The black wires in the plug would go to ground (1 & 4 )
Yellow and white plus the orange and white ( 2 & 4 ) would go to a relay
Like a regular after market fog light set.
Tossing around a $24 wiring kit rather than $54 switch, $60 wiring harness and $80 flash.

Again thanks for the info.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks for the information guys.
One more question and I'll be done.
If I wanted to put the lights on a separate switch.
The black wires in the plug would go to ground (1 & 4 )
Yellow and white plus the orange and white ( 2 & 4 ) would go to a relay
Like a regular after market fog light set.
Tossing around a $24 wiring kit rather than $54 switch, $60 wiring harness and $80 flash.

Again thanks for the info.
That would work also.

Silverhawx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think this might be more economical.
file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/5_fog_light_wiring.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If I remember right (I did this to a 2012 1500 I had) the bumper brackets are the same. Only thing you'll have to add other than the wiring, switch and sales code is the brackets for the fog lights themselves. You can get a pair off of rockauto.com for around $30 if you don't have them already, if you are going the factory route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wyowade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Updating an old thread: jumper has been discontinued for 2012 but fairly simple to make the jumper into the PDC/TIPM. Just need the ends which was confusing, being a non-electrical guy, but are available. I ordered different brands like delphi gt-150 female terminals and molex mx150 female terminals. it seems like both would work but the Molex mx150 is visually the closest and worked great. I just squeezed and soldered them to a wire, and pulled them into the harness. I now have power to my fog lights with the above steps. (Thanks for the original write up and replies, very helpful on this project)

Molex MX150 1.5 Female Unsealed Tin (Sn) 20-18 AWG Terminal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo