2013+ Upgrades correct me if I am wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
In the hours I have spent on this forum in the last three days, I "think" I have come to this conclusion: Did Chrysler wire 2013+ model years so similar that it makes all of these upgrades simple? Perhaps to save money? The wifes 2016 Jeep Cherokee has the same cluster as many other Chrysler models. I read somewhere that they did this to bring down costs.

Anyway, it looks entirely possible to me that I can turn my 2013 express quad cab into a laramie longhorn edition with some blood and sweat, and have it all function like it came from the factory???

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
In the hours I have spent on this forum in the last three days, I "think" I have come to this conclusion: Did Chrysler wire 2013+ model years so similar that it makes all of these upgrades simple? Perhaps to save money? The wifes 2016 Jeep Cherokee has the same cluster as many other Chrysler models. I read somewhere that they did this to bring down costs.

Anyway, it looks entirely possible to me that I can turn my 2013 express quad cab into a laramie longhorn edition with some blood and sweat, and have it all function like it came from the factory???

Far from it the trucks are wired quite differently and wired stupidly enough around the Radio! The express will have a different body harness than the Laramie. If you replaced your clockspring, door and seat modules, Body hareness (or made up you own jumpers) etc. Even if you were to physically configure your truck with all the physical parts, only some will work thanks to Fiat ensuring you need the right sales codes added to you BCM. Much harder than it might seem!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got it. More specifically, I am interested in the premium gauge cluster, and premium steering wheel. Maybe change my door panels down the road to something softer. I am already working on the radio and heater bezel upgrade.

very interested in the various headlight upgrades too. The main point is that I was considering trading in with only 38,000 miles. now I can refresh the truck more upscale with a little investment.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there's something to them being wired similarly, for instance I've already added Mopar remote start, Upper Console, RA2, Mirror w/Mic on my 15 Express. I still plan on the steering wheel radios controls and back up camera. Local dealer has no problem flashing the needed codes. I think you do some things but some will be out of reach. Just my 2cts.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your after a Laramie you won't be able to get there with blood sweat and tears. The Express models are missing key harness connection points for things like the power seats. Heated cooled seats dual zone climate control. Etc etc. I think you catch my drift. As far as lighting you can't go wrong with. a set of TYC OE replica sport or chrome (depending on your taste) projector lights and ad a drop in HID kit for both looks and functions. Just did this on mine today. The premium cluster is another good one along with the 8.4 Nav unit. Seating wise I opted for Katskins to replace my crappy Express gray covers. Couldn't be happier with the looks and quality. Plus side,it's your truck and you can style it how you choose without paying the Laramie price tag. Looks like my wife is trying to take my truck from me so I'm waiting on the new Power Wagons to come out . Go big or go home right? Lol. Good luck man and enjoy your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
If your after a Laramie you won't be able to get there with blood sweat and tears. The Express models are missing key harness connection points for things like the power seats. Heated cooled seats dual zone climate control. Etc etc. I think you catch my drift. As far as lighting you can't go wrong with. a set of TYC OE replica sport or chrome (depending on your taste) projector lights and ad a drop in HID kit for both looks and functions. Just did this on mine today. The premium cluster is another good one along with the 8.4 Nav unit. Seating wise I opted for Katskins to replace my crappy Express gray covers. Couldn't be happier with the looks and quality. Plus side,it's your truck and you can style it how you choose without paying the Laramie price tag. Looks like my wife is trying to take my truck from me so I'm waiting on the new Power Wagons to come out . Go big or go home right? Lol. Good luck man and enjoy your truck.

Damn, I was hoping to find some used power/heated seats from a wreck or something down the road and swap them out

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, I was hoping to find some used power/heated seats from a wreck or something down the road and swap them out

You still can. Just will have to hard wire them to your own switches instead of OEM

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can do a lot of different things with a Express.... more Big Horn type..... can change the steering wheel, door panels, add floor lights, illuminated sun visors, power sliding rear window, folding side mirrors, premium cluster, cabin air filter, vent trim, under the hood light, 8.4 radio ...that's just some of the things I have done to my Express.

I know that RicksRam, a member here, has put power seats in his 14 Express. ..don't remember off hand what they came out of or what's involved.... I will get a hold of him and ask.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From Rick.....
Seats are from a 2014 Laramie. You can hook up the power adjust it's just a positive and negative but the the heated and cooled option is another story. Even if you could add the wiring you wouldn't be able to have the dealer add the sales codes to make it work.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ricks pretty much the DIY pioneer so looks like aftermarket might be your best bet.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can do a lot of different things with a Express.... more Big Horn type..... can change the steering wheel, door panels, add floor lights, illuminated sun visors, power sliding rear window, folding side mirrors, premium cluster, cabin air filter, vent trim, under the hood light, 8.4 radio ...that's just some of the things I have done to my Express.

I know that RicksRam, a member here, has put power seats in his 14 Express. ..don't remember off hand what they came out of or what's involved.... I will get a hold of him and ask.

How much was involved with the folding mirrors, I'm just starting to consider that for my Express?

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not all that hard.... 12sportmc just did a real nice write up on them...most important is getting the correct mirrors

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12sportmc's writeup is great. He used the power sliding rear window switch to control both mirrors simultaneously. My writeup is similar but I mounted two momentary mini switches in my door panel and can control each mirror individually if I chose. Either way is fine its just a matter of preference. His way is actually a little easier because there are less wires to run. Using the power slider switch was a clever idea. I installed a power sliding rear window as well so my power slider switch wasn't an option.

Attachments

• 20151026_221649.jpg
    20151026_221649.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20151024_135650.jpg
    20151024_135650.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 91

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
12sportmc's writeup is great. He used the power sliding rear window switch to control both mirrors simultaneously. My writeup is similar but I mounted two momentary mini switches in my door panel and can control each mirror individually if I chose. Either way is fine its just a matter of preference. His way is actually a little easier because there are less wires to run. Using the power slider switch was a clever idea. I installed a power sliding rear window as well so my power slider switch wasn't an option.

I read thru that whole post and I'm still not sure what parts I need or even if it can be done to my truck? Lots of confusion in what works on what years. Mine is a 15 Express w/power mirrors only, not folding, not heated and without the temp sensor or turn signals. Not real sure on the cost of all that's needed vs some of the other things I have planned either? I'll have to think about this.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck has the temp sensor in the drivers side mirror. All 13+ do. The power folding feature is what the DIY is for, I also did not have that feature from the factory. If you buy the mirrors with heated glass, signals, and puddle lights you would need your dealer to flash codes LEC and LEB to make those specific features function but is NOT required. The power folding part is what you would be doing on your own with no dealer involvement. Your splicing the two wires at the mirror harness connector at your door module. I have 350 total in my upgrade. I bought used mirrors and used over head panel and had my codes flashed for 45 bucks at my dealer (prices for flashing will vary from dealer to dealer) You can do it cheaper if your use a DPDT switch, they are about 2-5 bucks depending on how "fancy" a switch you want. Hope this helps and keep asking questions man, there is a wealth of knowledge and people on this forum that "have been there done that " to their trucks and are ready to help you out[emoji106]

Last edited:

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It can definitely be done to your truck ;)
People on this forum are extremely helpful and generous with there time and knowledge. I must drive Rick absolutely up the wall with all my calls for knowledge ...and help! But he will sit on the phone with me and literally walk me step by step and make sure I get it figured out..... more than likely he''s aware I'd have 1/4 of my mods accomplished. ..and I'd probably would have burned my truck to the ground months ago with out his help.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck has the temp sensor in the drivers side mirror. All 13+ do. The power folding feature is what the DIY is for, I also did not have that feature from the factory. If you buy the mirrors with heated glass, signals, and puddle lights you would need your dealer to flash codes LEC and LEB to make those specific features function but is NOT required. The power folding part is what you would be doing on your own with no dealer involvement. Your splicing the two wires at the mirror harness connector at your door module. I have 350 total in my upgrade. I bought used mirrors and used over head panel and had my codes flashed for 45 bucks at my dealer (prices for flashing will vary from dealer to dealer) You can do it cheaper if your use a DPDT switch, they are about 2-5 bucks depending on how "fancy" a switch you want. Hope this helps and keep asking questions man, there is a wealth of knowledge and people on this forum that "have been there done that " to their trucks and are ready to help you out[emoji106]

So if I install the window switch panel w/mirror fold button and adding the codes still won't work? If not couldn't I just vampire off the wire harness in the door or is that the whole point, no wires are there for the fold option?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if I install the window switch panel w/mirror fold button and adding the codes still won't work? If not couldn't I just vampire off the wire harness in the door or is that the whole point, no wires are there for the fold option?

Correct you CAN add the new modules and OEM switch , but 99% chance dealer will not be able to flash for you. Confirmed this w/Ricks Rams who is a tech. The wires you will tap into are located on the black plug from the actual mirror harness that runs to the module in your door. I'd recommend you pull your door panel off and just familiarize yourself with the module location and plugs I'm talking about. It might clarify a lot of the guess work for you. Door panel takes about a minute to pull off Your current set up will only have one connector if you have just the basic mirror with heat and power movement , the power folding mirror will have 2. You WILL be able to get the codes flashed to your current modules for the puddle lamps, turn signals, and the flip up correction for the mirror controls while you have them in goal post mode lol. Let me know if you need some pics to help orient you on where to splice and I can pull my door panel off tonight or tomorrow and get you some.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll pull a panel, off this afternoon to get my mind straight on what I have vs what I need and can get done. Code flashing isn't a big deal at the dealership also, I had it done when I added the Mopar remote start and I got pretty cozy with the service tech.

Thanks 12sportmc for the quick responses.
BTW, where are you located?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
magician Thanks 12sportmc for the quick responses. BTW said:
No worries man. Here's another sweet pic to get your bearings lol 60dfbdf838ff6ffa788662b09e419a21.jpg

And I'm in NC.