2013+ Upgrades correct me if I am wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No worries man. Here's another sweet pic to get your bearings lol 60dfbdf838ff6ffa788662b09e419a21.jpg

And I'm in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm I not Fort Mill SC just outside of Charlotte. Good to know your not far.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to follow up on some things that were said here. It's not a hard and fast rule that the lower trim level trucks have completely different t harnesses everywhere.

My truck is a '13 1500 Express regular cab. It was pretty basic and even had the RA1 radio. However, the interior was wired for pretty much everything I've attempted to add - heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, power inverter, etc.

So far I've successfully added a lot of factory options. I'm going to try to tackle auto temp controls next.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just being honest here so do not kill me with the following question (please lol) With the price of the parts needed, the hours of labour (you or a tech, hey time is money after al) which would be cheaper, ordering a loaded truck or the route you are about to take. I hope your project treats you right and all goes well. Cheers.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just being honest here so do not kill me with the following question (please lol) With the price of the parts needed, the hours of labour (you or a tech, hey time is money after al) which would be cheaper, ordering a loaded truck or the route you are about to take. I hope your project treats you right and all goes well. Cheers.

Lol. I had the same though before I bought my Express. When I add it up with all the things I have done plus the cost of my truck I'm still cheaper than a long horn much less a Laramie lol. It might be cheaper for the not so mechanically inclined that is very true. For me personally, I love doing things like this and so the time spent really isn't a factor for me and I'm an Avi Tech by trade so wiring is super easy lol. Now my future truck when my wife takes this one from me(it's bad , every week I find myself driving the minivan more and more [emoji30]) will be a 2500. Not sure if I'll go the same route on that one or not.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm I not Fort Mill SC just outside of Charlotte. Good to know your not far.

Hoping this is bc you've got some running boards you wanna trade me lol. And why not drop that in here....hey all got some sweet Westin Gen X side steps I'm looking to sell or trade. Check it out in the classifieds[emoji2]. But ya man I'm within a drive for you if you run into snags on your mods

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

As far as the money and price for all the add ones compared to buying a loaded truck, personally I'd rather not pay for all the options for 4 or 5 years of financing and like 12sportmc said, I'm an engineering tech with extensive mechanical skills plus a lot of automotive in my background since I love to tinker. I've never had a vehicle that I didn't try to upgrade.

I have one other bonus at this time, my work truck is a 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon so a lot of what it has is where I'm heading with my Express.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For me, I could not find a regular cab truck with a lot of bells and whistles. The Sport is the only trim level that has a bunch in regular cab, and the closest one was close to 500 miles away. The truck I ended up buying was close, priced right, and in great shape. I won't end up saving a lot, but I do really enjoy going this stuff. If you're paying someone else to do it and are trying to do it to save money, you're better off just shelling out the cash out front.

The other thing for me is that I was able to minimize how much money I put out up front. Instead, I now spend money little by little when I have extra in the toy fund.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As far as the money and price for all the add ones compared to buying a loaded truck, personally I'd rather not pay for all the options for 4 or 5 years of financing and like 12sportmc said, I'm an engineering tech with extensive mechanical skills plus a lot of automotive in my background since I love to tinker. I've never had a vehicle that I didn't try to upgrade.

I have one other bonus at this time, my work truck is a 2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon so a lot of what it has is where I'm heading with my Express.

the only reason I asked the question would be this, I have always bought lets say the upper type models as I do not have the skill set to complete most of the conversions. My Pops tried to teach me back in the 70's but rather than hanging out with him I was more into sports and chasing the ladies. My older brother was the opposite of me and helped/learned from me Pops.

I have been fortunate in so far as financing vehicles, I avoid that like the plague. Ah who knows, maybe in my next life I will be a so called "tinkerer":happy107: and Merry Christmas. Oh nice company ride I must admit,

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which would be cheaper, ordering a loaded truck or the route you are about to take.

Didn't know my wife was on the board ;)
As was said, don't like the idea of paying a lot more for little things for years. And besides the tires I put on, and the 8.4 radio mod, much of the things I have done are pretty reasonable money wise.... $150 for mirriors, $150 for a rear window, $50 for adding the Homelink. Those alone are well over 1k to have a dealer add them. Most of the mods I've done are under $100. I've learned a ton about working on my truck, had fun doing it (mostly), even made a few friends. My truck is different than 99% of the same models out there. There isn't to much of, I wish my truck had this or that, and when that has happened, it now has it. I spent 12 years driving a Dakota, which I never did a thing to, so my new truck is going to be just the way I like it, and even for a lower trim model...it's pretty bad ass ;)

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MaizeNBlue; my new truck is going to be just the way I like it said:
Exactly my logic. My Express was a blank canvas for me to make my own when I had the cash set aside to do it up front. I paid 28 for my truck new OTD. Which I thought was worth it. Had all the basics I needed. 4wd 4doors. Hemi spray in liner and brake controller. Hate the chrome clads it came with but those will be gone soon. So all in all I'm happy with my choice. Again not for everyone but I have a huge toolbox in my garage , all the wiring tools I could ever need, and 3 boys to teach how to take care of their own vehicles so they don't get taken advantage of later in life by dealerships or mechs. Win win in my book [emoji41]

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Deleted double post

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly my logic. My Express was a blank canvas for me to make my own when I had the cash set aside to do it up front. I paid 28 for my truck new OTD. Which I thought was worth it. Had all the basics I needed. 4wd 4doors. Hemi spray in liner and brake controller. Hate the chrome clads it came with but those will be gone soon. So all in all I'm happy with my choice. Again not for everyone but I have a huge toolbox in my garage , all the wiring tools I could ever need, and 3 boys to teach how to take care of their own vehicles so they don't get taken advantage of later in life by dealerships or mechs. Win win in my book [emoji41]

Let me know what you want for the chrome clads. Mine came with painted 20's. Most say they look perfect with the silver stripes I put on it but have a thing for chrome and the fad of murdering everything has to come to an end soon?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me know what you want for the chrome clads. Mine came with painted 20's. Most say they look perfect with the silver stripes I put on it but have a thing for chrome and the fad of murdering everything has to come to an end soon?

PM'd. Maybe we can work some Christmas magic lol

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Not sure were you are located but north of the 49th vehicles generally are quite a bit more expensive, having said that my R/T had a msrp of 45,400.00 and out the door I paid them cash in the amount of 34,800.00 which i think is a great price. As far as mechanics/dealerships not all are crooks and even though i do not turn a wrench I feel like I have not been taken advantage of for at least 25 years. The dealer I use treats me great (I assume it's all the business I give them) although I have no doubt many do indeed get run over. Education is the key and it's easy for me to read/research.

I will admit that there can be some advantages to a person purchasing the Express, years ago Stacey David built an Express including a s/c and it turned out great. Merry Christmas:favorites13:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn