30000 mile 30k service @ dealership = $1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris. lerma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got off the phone with local Dodge dealership here. They took care of 4 recalls my truck had. He wants me to pay him $1000 for the 30k service. It consists of swapping out Front and Rear diff fluid, Transfer case fluid, alignment, air filter and a few other things, I think.
My question is can I do it myself or should I let them do it? I'm about to drop $2k on tires, Ranchos, OEM LSD, and would really not like to make that number $3k. I also want to buy several of Moe's suspension goodies to firm up the suspension with that extra money.

2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L

Thanks for any help you guys can lend.

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wtf....1k

Just follow the exact PM fom the OM
ldBMxfQ.png

It consists of swapping out Front and Rear diff fluid, Transfer case fluid, alignment, air filter and a few other things, I think.
My question is can I do it myself or should I let them do it? I'm about to drop
I can't see this, except the air filter and you can buy much better air filter like AEM or K&N and replace it by yourself.
Spark plug is on 32k miles from my 2012 OM and you can follow yt tutorial if you want.

Go find another service shop or wait for 32k miles(not sure for your model if you have 30k miles, check your OM Maintenance sked)

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow ! , do it yourself IMO , just document it and have receipts.

I'm very **** about my vehicle maint . I keep a Maintenance Log book and document everything I do and I file the receipts. I have a separate part of my log book for Mods , dated , mileage and receipt as well .

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Follow your manual you don't need to do diff service or trans service till like 75k range of your truck is a 14 you have the 100k iridiumn plugs get a alinemnet when you get new tires. Just oil change and air filter at 30k imo.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can we say major "upsell"!!! Obviously that service writer is looking for a nice commission check this month.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer told me they wanted to do front and rear diff between 15-20k miles, so I did the rear myself and I might try the front when I have time...they wanted to charge 255 each diff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can we say major "upsell"!!! Obviously that service writer is looking for a nice commission check this month.
Yep yep on the Svc writer. My son was a service writer for an Audi dealership in Colorado , the stories I've heard on Rediclously overpriced services that wer not required. He left that dealership because he felt bad for the customers , he then went to work for another dealership in Co. A Dodge , chrysler & Jeep same story there as well .
Do your own maint , record it , keep receipts. This way it's done correctly and you don't get screwed , if you do your research you'll likely use better products such as oils and such as well .

Just my .02

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the other things?

If you're able do it yourself go that route to save some cash. Probably around $150 in materials for that work.

OP
OP
C

Chris. lerma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are the other things?

If you're able do it yourself go that route to save some cash. Probably around $150 in materials for that work.

Here are the things I can remember him telling me.
Front diff fluid swap
Rear diff fluid swap
Transfer case fluid swap
Air Filter change
Brake fluid swap
Steering fluid swap

I asked what the Diffs and transfer case service would cost if thats all I had done, $399. :flipthebird:

Which of these things are actually needed?
I can agree with the brake fluid needing to get swapped I suppose.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The front diff is as easy as the the rear except you will need a $10 pump to fill it. You can find them at any auto parts store.

The tcase you don't need a pump for but it will make it a LOT easier. If you have the borgwarner 44-44, you will need special fluid from the dealer. Borg Warner 44-45 just takes any ATF+4.

Brake fluid you could do yourself but just make sure not to run the reservoir dry. Not really necessary at 30k IMO.

Steering fluid is questionable seeing as it's electric in the 2013+ 1500s. Might be fluid that needs changing but I'm not sure.

$1000 is insane for that.

OP
OP
C

Chris. lerma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The front diff is as easy as the the rear except you will need a $10 pump to fill it. You can find them at any auto parts store.

The tcase you don't need a pump for but it will make it a LOT easier. If you have the borgwarner 44-44, you will need special fluid from the dealer. Borg Warner 44-45 just takes any ATF+4.

Brake fluid you could do yourself but just make sure not to run the reservoir dry. Not really necessary at 30k IMO.

Steering fluid is questionable seeing as it's electric in the 2013+ 1500s. Might be fluid that needs changing but I'm not sure.

$1000 is insane for that.

Insane is exactly what I thought. 1k for oil/fluid changes.
How can you differentiate Tcases?
Which fluid should I put in the front and rear differentials?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Insane is exactly what I thought. 1k for oil/fluid changes.
How can you differentiate Tcases?
Which fluid should I put in the front and rear differentials?
The tcase has a tag on it that says BW 44-4X. If you can't find the tag, the 44-44 has the 4Auto function while the 44-45 4Lock only. As far as I know both tcases take 1.5qts.

Front diff takes just under 2qts of 75w90 and the rear takes 2.5qts of 75w140. I used Redline fluids for mine but Mobil 1 is an excellent choice as well.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would they worry about an alignment,are the tires wearing weird?? Are they gonna replace them through warranty or somethin??
Oil service is not that expensive my god..How do they even know it needs changeing,have they tested it?? If you want it sampled for your own knowlage and piece of mind POLARIS Laboratories
Air filter you can do in 3 minutes..

Service guy must saw you when you opened that thick wallet with all the $$ fallen outta it to want a grand for that..

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep Yep

Yep yep on the Svc writer. My son was a service writer for an Audi dealership in Colorado , the stories I've heard on Rediclously overpriced services that wer not required. He left that dealership because he felt bad for the customers , he then went to work for another dealership in Co. A Dodge , chrysler & Jeep same story there as well .
Do your own maint , record it , keep receipts. This way it's done correctly and you don't get screwed , if you do your research you'll likely use better products such as oils and such as well .

Just my .02

For my last career/profession before retiring for good, I was a service writer and a fill in service manager when my service manager struggled fought and won a lengthy battle with cancer. There still are honest and talented FCA dealership service departments out there, but it is unfortunately in this day and age not as easy as it used to be to find one. In the mean time when you go in for service just stick to your guns and just "go by the book" for maintenance and if it ain't broke don't fix it!