85mm TB install (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up. but I have a beef with some of the above for anyone to carefully consider
10hp from a single mod such as a TB? Wishful thinking. 10hp on a 390hp engine is 39Hp. You'd feel that; that is a measurable gain. You'd do well to gain that much from a tuner.

On the gasket note, there is a small, white, rubberized gasket semi-inlaid into the top the intake manifold where it meets the base of the TB. Unless you're working very haphazardly you should not dislodge it during a normal TB installation, and it does not need to be touched or replaced if upgrading to a ported TB. I had to carefully pry mine out with a jewler's screwdriverwhen port-matching my TB to the intake manifold.
This is something I think most people overlook because its not a bolt-on. When I placed my 87mm TB on the manifold and held the butterfly plate open I could feel a good sized lip of manifold jutting out below the base of the TB, as the TB diameter was now larger than the manifolds. Why on earth would you continue to bolt the TB down and call it a day?? I'm not sure what the difference would be with an 85mm but I suspect a few minutes with a Dremel would also benefit you there. I'd still give my polished, knife-edges TB to someone if they could show a dyno gain of 10Hp for this one mod.
My $.02

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nice write up. but I have a beef with some of the above for anyone to carefully consider
10hp from a single mod such as a TB? Wishful thinking. 10hp on a 390hp engine is 39Hp. You'd feel that; that is a measurable gain. You'd do well to gain that much from a tuner.

On the gasket note, there is a small, white, rubberized gasket semi-inlaid into the top the intake manifold where it meets the base of the TB. Unless you're working very haphazardly you should not dislodge it during a normal TB installation, and it does not need to be touched or replaced if upgrading to a ported TB. I had to carefully pry mine out with a jewler's screwdriverwhen port-matching my TB to the intake manifold.
This is something I think most people overlook because its not a bolt-on. When I placed my 87mm TB on the manifold and held the butterfly plate open I could feel a good sized lip of manifold jutting out below the base of the TB, as the TB diameter was now larger than the manifolds. Why on earth would you continue to bolt the TB down and call it a day?? I'm not sure what the difference would be with an 85mm but I suspect a few minutes with a Dremel would also benefit you there. I'd still give my polished, knife-edges TB to someone if they could show a dyno gain of 10Hp for this one mod.
My $.02

10 Percent of 390 hp is 39 hp. 10 hp is 2.5 percent of 390 hp. Perhaps changes the perspective slightly? :Violin:

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got me. Math (and reading, apparently) was never my forte.
10hp still seems ambitious, esp. if you just bolt it onto an intake manifold which is smaller i diameter than the larger TB.
I think the PTB is a great mod as part of a planned approach to increased power & MPG, but not as a standalone.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
I don't think anyone adds a TB as a stand alone mod. I've never seen anyone do this mod as their first anyway. It's always after exhaust and a CAI , or with a CAI.