How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
As soon as the stealership gives me my truck back, it was supposed to be ready today, now they told me next Thursday. Was gonna vent but not productive. I have and have had the seats, switch, and the clock spring came in yesterday. I am going down there very shortly and raise Cain. I just hope the delay is not cause the damaged or crashed my truck, just got a bad feeling. Sorry was not going to vent

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much did it cost you in total for all the parts?

The parts weren't bad. I payed about anoutv $100 dollars for the heated wheel new. These wheels come with just the leather steering wheel. You newton's witch everything over from your old wheel. I payed $30 for the heated wheel harness around $90.00 for the switch panel and got the clockspring from RT for $100 I don't recommend buying a used clockspring unless you are sure it has been locked in place so it can't move. The pin connectors and plugs weren't much but I had to special order the gray pins and that cost me 75.00. I already had the seats so I would say the total was around $375 to $400.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would my truck have the wiring, just not the clockspring and wheel?

and your dash bezel lights up for both heated and cooled right?

Yes your truck will have all of the wiring for the heated wheel. As stated all of my lights in the buttons illuminate. They all worked before I ever added the codes.

Attachments

• 20170115_105937.jpg
    20170115_105937.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Adding Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

I have the clockspring and wheel also. Just have to find the time to get it installed. I'll see if I can find some time tonight to plug in the AE tool and see if it's reporting any errors.

Could one of you guys walk me through enabling the setting in the BCM tonight just to see if that makes a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the clockspring and wheel also. Just have to find the time to get it installed. I'll see if I can find some time tonight to plug in the AE tool and see if it's reporting any errors.

Could one of you guys walk me through enabling the setting in the BCM tonight just to see if that makes a difference?

Please do! If thats the case Im all about getting it asap

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Is yours not lighting up or something? I really think you guys should hook up the wheels...gonna say that's should solve this issue. As 00R/T said, right now you are running it in a way they never came from the factory so it could be what's messing up the seats. Also don't think it's sales code related as that only makes them appear on the radio. As Rick stated, his worked without any codes and he just added them for the stuff to work on the radio

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is yours not lighting up or something? I really think you guys should hook up the wheels...gonna say that's should solve this issue. As 00R/T said, right now you are running it in a way they never came from the factory so it could be what's messing up the seats. Also don't think it's sales code related as that only makes them appear on the radio. As Rick stated, his worked without any codes and he just added them for the stuff to work on the radio

My heated will light up, and funny enough show up on the radio! The cooled buttons do nothing at all, and I dont have the wheel to test. I never intended on the wheel and if I dont have to spend the cash I would rather not. Its not a huge need in Florida.

Adding some pics because I thought it was interesting that my seats show up on the radio without it knowing it has those options.

20170126_155224.jpg

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My heated will light up, and funny enough show up on the radio! The cooled buttons do nothing at all, and I dont have the wheel to test. I never intended on the wheel and if I dont have to spend the cash I would rather not. Its not a huge need in Florida.

Adding some pics because I thought it was interesting that my seats show up on the radio without it knowing it has those options.

View attachment 83541

Those icons will show up because the radio just sees a "heated seats on" message and doesn't consider anything else. The codes will get you the soft keys on your screen so you can turn them on from there.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I'll wait to play with the code until I get the wheel and clockspring installed to see what happens with it installed. Maybe I can find some time this weekend to get it installed.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what year steering wheel and clocksprings are compatible. and are they specific to options? Mine has the gear controls, will all of them have that or will I have to find a specific one?

As well to confim the wiring is in place. I have a 2015 at my dealership with the heated wheel that I might just pull apart to test tomorrow if the wiring is there I just have to move the wheel and clockspring.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the order codes to add the heated, cooled seats and heated steering wheel. I'm going to get them added before the steering wheel to see if it "wakes up" the cooled seats.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
what year steering wheel and clocksprings are compatible. and are they specific to options? Mine has the gear controls, will all of them have that or will I have to find a specific one?

As well to confim the wiring is in place. I have a 2015 at my dealership with the heated wheel that I might just pull apart to test tomorrow if the wiring is there I just have to move the wheel and clockspring.

The wheels are all compatable 2013-2017, I am selling one in the for sale section. The switch with or without the gears swaps right out.
nothing else to buy except the clocks spring itself. It does not have the gear shift in it but I have one to swap in.

http://www.ramforum.com/f21/laramie_longhorn_steeering_wheel-97031/

Last edited:

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes your truck will have all of the wiring for the heated wheel. As stated all of my lights in the buttons illuminate. They all worked before I ever added the codes.

Would you require replacing the clock spring to get the heated steering wheel to work, or does it come with the wheel?

I know I hear it "click" on, but then immediately shuts off.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Would you require replacing the clock spring to get the heated steering wheel to work, or does it come with the wheel?

I know I hear it "click" on, but then immediately shuts off.

The post was referring to having the wiring in the column, the clock spring is different animal and not part of the steering wheel. There are two different clock springs in these trucks one with the wiring for the heating element in the steering wheels, and one without. If your truck did not come with a heated steering wheel then your clock spring wont have the wiring for it, so you would need to upgrade it as well. The price for use ones vary but around 125.00 or so average, new they are around 250.00.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the whole assembly, the turn signal part, clock spring, and heated wheel.

All together you need a flat head screwdriver about 4-6 inches long, t20 torx, and 13mm socket (deep or with 3 inch extension. I used an impact but a normal wrench will work.

It only takes about 10 minutes to pull it all apart, the hardest part is the air bag. The steering wheel takes a 13mm bolt, the rest are all T20 torx.

First you remove the shroud around the steering wheel. It has 3 torx screws, 2 are long black 1 is a short silver under. All 3 are under the steering wheel from the bottom. Remove the air bag, youtube will kinda get you there, its a pain in the rear. Then you will see a giant 13mm bolt staring back at you once you un-clip the airbag. There are about a million harnesses to disconnect, then pull the wheel off. It took some banging around and fussing with it but I didnt need a tool to get it. Then you have the clock spring and turn signal stalk. Pull this all as once, you do not need to seperate it. The turn signal base does not have the provision for the heated wheel harness, it wont work, dont try.

All that work then reverse to install the wheel.

Here is the sad news, for me it was a waste of time. I took the whole assembly from a longhorn with everything. Tested to make sure it worked in the other truck before i took it out and installed in mine. It did not work. The steering wheel did not heat, the light would not activate, and cooled seats were dormant, again for me nothing at all. Waste of time for me. So I reversed it all again, put back in the longhorn, and darned enough it will activate the heated wheel.

Now on a side note, when I removed the wheel from the longhorn, it will still allow the cooled seats to work.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the whole assembly, the turn signal part, clock spring, and heated wheel.

All together you need a flat head screwdriver about 4-6 inches long, t20 torx, and 13mm socket (deep or with 3 inch extension. I used an impact but a normal wrench will work.

It only takes about 10 minutes to pull it all apart, the hardest part is the air bag. The steering wheel takes a 13mm bolt, the rest are all T20 torx.

First you remove the shroud around the steering wheel. It has 3 torx screws, 2 are long black 1 is a short silver under. All 3 are under the steering wheel from the bottom. Remove the air bag, youtube will kinda get you there, its a pain in the rear. Then you will see a giant 13mm bolt staring back at you once you un-clip the airbag. There are about a million harnesses to disconnect, then pull the wheel off. It took some banging around and fussing with it but I didnt need a tool to get it. Then you have the clock spring and turn signal stalk. Pull this all as once, you do not need to seperate it. The turn signal base does not have the provision for the heated wheel harness, it wont work, dont try.

All that work then reverse to install the wheel.

Here is the sad news, for me it was a waste of time. I took the whole assembly from a longhorn with everything. Tested to make sure it worked in the other truck before i took it out and installed in mine. It did not work. The steering wheel did not heat, the light would not activate, and cooled seats were dormant, again for me nothing at all. Waste of time for me. So I reversed it all again, put back in the longhorn, and darned enough it will activate the heated wheel.

Now on a side note, when I removed the wheel from the longhorn, it will still allow the cooled seats to work.

I am honestly at a loss to what the difference may be. There is something we are missing. If you have a Multimeter I would suggest starting the truck and see if you have power to the two pink/yellow wires in the drivers side seat yellow plug. I have mine hooked to a relay to have power when ignition is on run. That is the only thing I can think of where my truck may be different. So I recommend starting the truck and checking those two terminals for power in the yellow plug then turn on the heated seats and then see if there's still power to both pink/yellow wires my truck has power to both of those terminals all the time when it's running because I put it on a relay I'm thinking that may possibly be something that's different. Maybe I inadvertently bypassed something by hooking mine up directly to the battery in a relay where I'm getting power to the modules needed and your truck doesn't Supply it when the heated seats are on

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am honestly at a loss to what the difference may be. There is something we are missing. If you have a Multimeter I would suggest starting the truck and see if you have power to the two pink/yellow wires in the drivers side seat yellow plug. I have mine hooked to a relay to have power when ignition is on run. That is the only thing I can think of where my truck may be different. So I recommend starting the truck and checking those two terminals for power in the yellow plug then turn on the heated seats and then see if there's still power to both pink/yellow wires my truck has power to both of those terminals all the time when it's running because I put it on a relay I'm thinking that may possibly be something that's different. Maybe I inadvertently bypassed something by hooking mine up directly to the battery in a relay where I'm getting power to the modules needed and your truck doesn't Supply it when the heated seats are on

Ill take out the meter tomorrow and give it a shot, its wearing thin on me. Pulling apart 2 trucks to test the wheel theory really has me pulled apart. That any my wife being sick for 2 weeks and losing a loved one last night. I might just be tired but something has to be up! Also here is the harness, if you can see if there is something missing?

20170127_153609.jpg

Also on the diagram for the seat the pink/yellow(orange) is not in the diagram but they are in my harness. Should they be 12+?

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you are saying the pink wires with orange striped in your harness are 12+ when running? There are 2 in there. The power seat works, the heated in the back and bottom work, so in terms of function those work great.

82990d1484547924-adding_heated_ventelated_seats_heated_wheel_express_tradesman-20161222_134900.jpg

The pink wires in opposite corners you have 12v all times when running.

Last edited: