How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
Great write up!!! I'm going to be doing this mod soon on my 2WD Express Quad Cab. That Console LED is used to light up the cupholder in the center console at night.

To do this you'll need to use the panel light source since it should only come on when the headlights are on. The Green headliner connector doesn't have that lead being feed to it. I would use the power source I used for lighting the fold down cup holder in the center bezel, and that was the panel light source that is part of the 4WD selector leads. My 2WD Express had the leads sitting unplugged behind the center bezel and the lead works great to power a Green #194 bulb to light up the cupholder at night and can be dimmed by the headlight switch. Although I'm not sure that the Console LED light is really needed in my case.

jayz ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7, CC, Express, 4x4
great effort and write up!
i am planning to do this in my '12 crew cab hemi and was just wondering:
a) if you could elaborate a bit more as to how the retainer is installed in place? or where did you get the drawing/parts list for the green connector behind the head light switch?
b) do you know how to do wiring for garage opener & compass modules,
c) I couldn't find the PN you listed for the 3 pin wire kit on the "mopar parts overstock" store.
thanks so much.

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
a) The retainer is bolted to the sun visor clips. You need to pull the grab handles, sun visors and drop the headliner to slide the retainer in from the front.
I figured out the green plug with the diagram from the 3 pin kit and a test light.
b) We covered the garage in this thread but I'm not sure about the compass. I do know you will have to get the dealer to re-flash your truck for the compass to work.
c) try another store or go to your dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
The Green headliner connector doesn't have that lead being feed to it.

Grab your test light and double check the green plug to be sure.
If not you could tap the headlight switch, it's right there next to the green plug.

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
On my console install I connected the console LED too by using the panel light from the 4WD switch behind
the center bezel since it will dim and only light up when the headlights are on. My Express is a 2WD so the
4WD switch connector was just sitting unused behind the bezel. The MOPAR connector repair website shows
the connector but there isn't a part # for it, so a friend of mine is a GM tech and he got a connector that
is used for GM's headlinger lights which matches perfectly to the shape/size of the LED connector.

Last edited:

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i just tapped into the wire behind the headlight switch, in that area anyways, might as well save yourself some work, referring to the wire for the green led

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
ATOM,
Do you still have that compass module connector?
I buy it from you if you want to sell it.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
are you the same guy from ramforumz? i sent you an email if you are..

brynm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 SXT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice mod, what did the parts end up costing you?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i had a total of 50 bucks in mine, bought mine from a rolled '12 dually

jayz ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello again, do yo have a pic. of the wires tapped to the green connector behind the headlight switch that you can share? I ordered the overhead console and I am not sure which wires from console connect to the green connector terminals. how many wires connect to the console lights? thank you.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
how many wires depends on what your all hooking up. for my specific install, this is how I did mine.

to make the map lamps works when you open the doors
--black/tan is ground
--yellow/white

when you take off the A-pillar cover, you will see those wire, you can tap into them here. I took off the wire clips from the A-pillar and secured everything nicely so they don't rattle

then you need to add a constant power
--yellow/light blue strip, i tapped this into the bottom side of the green connector behind the fuse panel cover.

for the green led, you will need to ran 2 more wires.
--black/dark green, this is ground, tap that into the A-pillar as well

for it to turn on
--orange/grey, tapped into the back of the headlight swtich,I think it was orange/blue, not 100% sure on that

jayz ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I would want the light to come on when you open the door and off when the door is closed. also to turn on when manually pressed. I also want the LED to come on when headlights come on automatically.
that said, couldn't we just tap into the 2 wires in the driver-side A-Pillar directly for the first 2 scenarios above (not sure why we're connecting to the Green connector?) and tap the 3rd scenario wire to the blk. connector behind the headlight switch for the LED?

how many wires come out of the console?

best.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
you need to connect to the green connector for constant power, if you would just hook up the black/tan and green/white stripe, the lights will only work when you open the door. so by tapping the yellow/blue stripe in the green connector you gain constant power, ability to use the map lights when your driving for example. now you need to grab an illumination wire to turn on the led, so i tapped into the light behind the headlamp switch, you can tap anywhere you want, but since i was behind the headlight switch tapping to the green connector, it was the easiest. add the other side of the led to the ground (same wire than you used before) on the pillar and your set. everything will work like factory, map lamps turn on when the doors open, turn off when they close, able to turn them on when the doors are shut, as soon as the auto lamps turn on, the green led to illuminate the cupholders turn on

Last edited:

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
your welcome! Sildeshow is the one who got the ball rollin' on this mod! Hand down the most useful mod you can do to an express IMO

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
very nice write up, may look at doing this mod to mine somewhat down the road, would be nice to have, rather than flick the lights on with the dimmer dial everytime i need interior lights at night! about what did it cost to do this?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
cost depends on what you get the parts for, if you buy new or used. i think all new is about $300, mine was about $50 total

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
My basic console, (maps only) was just over $100 new from Chrysler.

55365119AC retainer $32
1PQ03BD1AA console *map lights only* $74

Real cheap and easy mod.

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
I wanted to keep it looking factory behind the dash. I tapped the constant power (Yell/Blue) by taking the green plug white retainer off and snapping in the lead from the pinout kit. The other side of the green plug is pre-wired so your only tapping one side.