How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueRamMan

Now RedRamMan
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
might be something I add later. looks easy enough

joedodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 2012
Engine
360 and Hemi 5.7
this web site has the green plug and black plug pinouts behind the headlight switch on my 2012. Mopar Connector Repair Kit Website The green plug is KIT 68057297AA, the black on the back of headlight switch KIT 68057283AA. I actually added 3 pins into the green plug when all needed was one for the read lamp. Will have to tap the panel lamps or/br when i get my overhead for the led.

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to get this mod done... I constantly reach up for light and nothing there forgetting that i have to use my dimmer dial to turn on any cab lighting. It is slightly annoying when the wife needs light in the passenger seat can't turn one on herself then complains i havent hit the dial quick enough LOL...will be searching for these parts on the cheap via ebay/forums/etc... if nothing I'll just suck it up and get the basic setup thru the dealer and be happy. I can hook this up without running power to the LED light obviously right? I see no real need for that and I like it to be dark inside the cab when driving at night.

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
the led is a nice feature, it glows a tad and lights up the cupholders. you can't even tell the led is on honestly. you can hook up the 3 wires only if you desire

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suppose while I'm at it I may as well complete the mod the right way and wire up the LED along with the map lights... I am definitley going to take care of this after the holidays.

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
I installed the Compass/Homelink module too. The homelink works great and displays messages in my EVIC (I've got the E Brake option) but the compass doesn't display. I've got a appointment with the dealer to add sales code FJF (Temperature & Compass Gauge). Hopefully it will be a sales code that can be added to my VIN.

joedodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 2012
Engine
360 and Hemi 5.7
Light Bulbs

Does the light bulbs come with the overhead unit or do they charge you for them? Has anyone put LED bulbs in them. I suggest getting the smd type. The ones that look like old school LED's are not bright. I bought one from amazon to put in the back overhead and it was light blue and not bright at all.

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
The overhead console will have the 2 map lights and LED installed if you buy it from the dealer.

joedodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 2012
Engine
360 and Hemi 5.7
Got my overhead console installed today along with my upper glove box with door. The LED in the console isnt worth crap. It only lights the edge of my center seat. It's good if you have a full center console to light the cup holders. My 2012 Express doesnt have it. Attach the positive of the LED to the orange/grey wire behind the headlamp switch using a quick splice from auto zone. It pushes a thin piece of metal thru the coating of wire, it allows you to attach one wire to it. Easy as pie to do. This lead when the lights are on will vary the voltage to the LED making it dimmer/brighter. The orange/brown doesnt have enough voltage. Hope this helps

teamwilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentstar
does anyone know if these part numbers and directions are good for 2013 models also?

jmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
The part numbers should carry over to the 2013. If your worried give the parts guy this list of part numbers and see if they are listed for the 2013 too.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Adding Overhead Console

Does anyone have pics of the install? The original pics won't show up for me

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Here are some of the originals...

console and retainer
pin-out kit
green plug access (left side cover can be removed for access)
green plug (bottom 3 banks with black left, empty center and yellow/wht right.

photo.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
picture.php

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
where is the best place online to order these parts? I want to do this for my 2013 express but the closest dealer is over 1 hour drive away and shipping to alaska is usually outrageous.

Thank-you for the pics, on the green plug do the wires from the map lights just plug into the empty pin spots and then it works or do I have to run any other wires?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
there are some on brand new ones on ebay

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
You have to tap the black wire and the yellow/white wire for the maps to work with the doors. Those wires are for the overhead dome light. The bank between those two is the one for constant power so the maps work all the time. That's the one you can pull the green connector apart and plug a wire from the pin kit into.
**You can get constant power from other places but that's where I got it from.

FMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 Ram Overhead Console install

Hi,

I was reviewing your write up on installing an overhead console in a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express. Very clear details, especially wire colors and functions.
For some reason none of your pictures were available.
It would be interesting to see any you have about the wiring and the actual cutting of the headliner (the most nervous part).

You can either post them or just send to my personal email:
[email protected]

Thanks,
Eric

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Sorry man, I don't have any pics of the cut headliner. I was on a roll at that point and stopped taking pictures.