Backup camera - Manual mode question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
While running the wires for my OEM backup camera and watching Briansmobile1 channel on this process. Around the 13:30-14:00 minute mark he mentions a red wire that when spliced into the PDC gets 12 volts whenever the truck is placed in reverse. I'm guessing a little bit here but maybe that 12 volt signal is the trigger that switches the radio display from normal operation to backup camera mode. If this is the case, it seems like I could install a SPDT switch and feed power from the PDC on one lug and accessory power to another lug on the switch. I am guessing this would trigger the radio into thinking the truck was in reverse anytime I want and allow me to put the backup camera in normal operation mode and then be able to turn it on anytime I want by flipping a switch. Has anyone attempted this? I have seen other posts regarding putting the backup camera in a manual mode but nothing I have seen has addressed the red wire as the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
While running the wires for my OEM backup camera and watching Briansmobile1 channel on this process. Around the 13:30-14:00 minute mark he mentions a red wire that when spliced into the PDC gets 12 volts whenever the truck is placed in reverse. I'm guessing a little bit here but maybe that 12 volt signal is the trigger that switches the radio display from normal operation to backup camera mode. If this is the case, it seems like I could install a SPDT switch and feed power from the PDC on one lug and accessory power to another lug on the switch. I am guessing this would trigger the radio into thinking the truck was in reverse anytime I want and allow me to put the backup camera in normal operation mode and then be able to turn it on anytime I want by flipping a switch. Has anyone attempted this? I have seen other posts regarding putting the backup camera in a manual mode but nothing I have seen has addressed the red wire as the trigger.

Radio grabs when its in reverse over CAN not via just a simple 12v line.

OP
OP
R

Robert66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Radio grabs when its in reverse over CAN not via just a simple 12v line.

Thanks. Figured there was a catch with the canbus system.