Brake light out message after evic upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I have a 2014 ram that i just purchased (only 10k miles on it). I obtained a cluster, part # p68242852ac and installed it. Everything is working great but i am receiving a brake light out warning. From what i can see it seems to be indicating the 3rd brake light and the passenger brake light. The driver side light is illuminated in the warning screen. All lights actually work when i hit the brakes. The brakes appear to be a bulb, not a led. Unfortunately i am not sure if anything was switched by the previous owner. The original cluster did not indicate a problem with the bulbs.

any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to add that when i turn the fogs lights on the 3rd brake light "backup lights" turn on. I wasnt sure if this was by design or a possible attempt at a mod by the previous owner.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I wanted to add that when i turn the fogs lights on the 3rd brake light "backup lights" turn on. I wasnt sure if this was by design or a possible attempt at a mod by the previous owner.
That's not normal. Sounds like they tapped a wire to the third brake light somewhere. Possibly at the green connector behind the driver's side air vent (pop it out and the side panel for a look). See a picture of it here.
Maybe something wired in at the third brake light also (or the taillight).

Are they factory fog light's (turn on with the headlight sw/push button) or an aftermarket light and switch setup?

Someone else may have some suggestions.

PS: just to make sure we are talking about the correct switch, post a picture of the fog light switch you are talking about.

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the upgraded clusters are more sensitive. I have a 16 Express, I have changed all my bulbs to led''s no error messages at all. I purchased a cluster out of a Big Horn, that I have waiting on my shelf for the milage to match up. Anyways I plugged it in and drove the truck around the block to make sure everything worked on it.... got reverse light and plate light error messages..... so I will be dealing with adding resistor's soon enough.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just an update, i had my wife hit the brake pedal today. from what i can tell the brakes are fine but the 3rd brake light does not respond to the pedal press. I was initially thrown off because it shows the 3rd brake light as fine in the cluster and indicates the passenger is out. I just got the truck so seeing the third brake light having running lights but no pedal response left me wondering what the factory behavior is. At this point i have 2 921 bulbs coming. Ill update once i have a chance to replace.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Aside from the weird symptoms you posted, some of it sounds like what cptwing posted (took me a while to remember where I had seen it). You should take a look at his thread which may be related ...
I made up 5 of these to clear the error message when upgrading the third brake light from incandescent to the OEM LED. When you do this you will get a brake light out error message in the EVIC. This device which is pure PNP no splicing or wire taps, fools the computer and you do not get the message and it does not use resistors to do it. Note: When you get the third brake light out message it shows the pass brakelight out in the graphic on the EVIC.

I am selling the remaining two for 25.00 each shipped. If you added an aftermarket LED third brake light and are also getting the error this should also work for you as well, provided it uses the same OEM plugs.

View attachment 60145

Here is a screen shot before installing. Ahh Error message!
View attachment 60146

Here is a screen shot after installing. Error message gone!
View attachment 60148

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

Last edited:

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Are you sure you are turning on FOG lights or the CARGO lights?

57buick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Probably not connected to your problem but last week for the first time I had a message on EVIC that my passenger side rear brake light was out. Even showed a picture of which one it was. I Went and changed it and still had the message?

SO I backed up to a window so I could see them and only my 3rd brake light didn't work, didn't think about that one. Swapped 3rd brake light bulb and message went away.

Why did my truck say rear passenger bulb was out? weird. So moral is that these computers can get confused very easily. My guess on yours if you say they all appear to be working is that someone in past has done a mod to the wiring somewhere so it is confusing the EVIC. Example...tapped a wire for something