Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Does anyone think that this will void the warranty on the hvac system if something goes wrong in the future..? I love my warranty..

I do not think so.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Honestly I doubt that any of the service technicians will even know it was a mod and not factory.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5
They aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed...

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I did this mod and immediately took the filter back out. Our blower isn't strong enough to begin with and the filter made it worse...Is there any way to beef up the blower on the truck?

htxdc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this install this past weekend. I haven't noticed any loss of air flow after the install. Pretty easy DIY if I say so myself. I spent a total of $20.96. $9.03 for the vent cover and $11.93 for the filter. Ebay is the greatest!

BraveAir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a great mod.. 1st Ram truck,, always had GMC Serra's with cabin filters and just assumed a Ram Sport would have so didn't ask... Now I know why my wife's asthma kicks into high gear when she's with me in the truck... This mod is a must... if I'm to keep this truck and stay with the Ram.. Pretty poor decision on Dodge's part to eliminate this option... It would have turned me back to running GM's..

BraveAir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a great mod.. 1st Ram truck,, always had GMC Serra's with cabin filters and just assumed a Ram Sport would have so didn't ask... Now I know why my wife's athsma kicks ito high gear when she's with me in the truck... This mod is a must... if I'm to keep this truck and stay with the Ram.. Pretty poor decision on Dodge's part to eliminate this option... It would have turned me back to running GM's..

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did my install of the filter and door yesterday. I found it a little more difficult than I thought, probably through my own fault to some extent. I burned my fingers by touching the hot knife to see if it was hot, and drew some blood on some sharp edge under the dash. Cutting the opening out went slow but OK with the hot knife, it does however leave a kind of jagged cut as it melts the plastic. That was not a problem though, as the filter slipped in with no trouble after you figure out the angles to insert it. If I were to do this again, I think I would just use a box knife with a new, sharp blade, and make multiple passes. That would leave a nicer cut.

The cover went on with no trouble either, it latched right on with no need for any force at all.

I did have to use a tie-wrap to hold the large cable out of the way and left it that way to make future filter swaps easy.

If you tie a piece of string around that little spring loaded cable, you can easily retrieve the end and hook it back to the glove box door after you are done. The '14s have the cable, earlier models may not.

Ran the blower at full speed and am getting plenty of air flow and no whistling or leak sounds around the new little door. If air flow were to be an issue in really hot weather, one could easily pull out the filter and be no worse off than it was before the mod.

Got this done just in time for pollen season. Can not imagine what my blower and ducts would look like with all the pollen we get around here.

traceis3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I too installed the cabin filter. But went with out the plastic door I used duct tape.works great. I am sick of the price of mopar parts. 10-17 dollars for a 37 cent plastic door BULL. .duct tape works and when I change out filter at 7500 miles will pull it all out and install new... Just my thoughts.

Midnite Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a great idea! I think I will do the same!

Midnite Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&N Cabin Air Filter

I haven't seen this posted recently in this thread, but K&N makes a cabin air filter that fits our Rams. Part# VF2013. It's not listed under Ram, you have to look under 2010-2014 Dodge Avenger. It's washable/reusable. Warranty for 10yrs/100,000 miles. Wash every 12,000 miles. I installed it today...fits perfectly.

Pros: reusable, good fit, provides more airflow than a paper filter

Cons: its $40

20150312_181258_zpsp2nmxpue.jpg

20150312_181331_zpsbows6qgh.jpg

Filter inserted into slot....
20150312_181509_zpsewuloqxu.jpg

Installed with cover on.....perfect fit!
20150312_182645_zpst6d6cyhx.jpg

Joram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 3500 ST
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Have to get this mod!

I have a 2011 and I work off road a lot. I've had the truck lil over three years now, noticed the ac doesn't blow as hard. Should have done it as soon as I bought the truck, but like many didn't know of this fallacy until I searched why my ac doesn't blow as hard. There shouldn't be a reason Chrysler omitted the filter. Specially when the pickup class are off road and in the dust.
Now my vents look nasty(full of dust), and have to figure a way to clean them out. Pretty sure the duct work and system in general is full of dust. I removed the fan today thinking it had some sort of blockage, maybe filter preventing it from breathing. All I saw was the area covered in dust not enough to alter the fan but enough to get a moist rag to some what clean the fins and around the interior and exterior of the housing. when I took the cubby out there was also a lot of dust behind the dash. Can anyone advise me to what I need to change, clean, or rinse out to get my fan to blow like it used to???
For example shouldn't I be able to feel the air in my face from the sitting position without having to lean forward.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
So, like many of you I have a hard blowing, extra hot vent in the passenger foot well of my '14 2500 CC. To clarify, the air blows a LOT harder and a LOT hotter on that side than the drivers side.

Any thoughts on the missing filter being part of the problem? Anyone see a reduction in symptoms after doing the mod?

Thanks

rubberduck50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is my next item on my To do list! Like many others have mentioned here, I still can't belive dodge omitted placing a cabin filter at the factory. At least it looks like an easy fix!