Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Guys, need your help.

Just did my mod today (with bruises and cuts on both hands....) with a boxcutter.....(2012 Sport)

Anyhow, maybe an advise from one of you.
The filter door cover fits perfectly and also seals the filter opening, BUT, I tried and pushed as much as I could, I am unable to latch the door on both sides. It simply doesn't snap in.

I checked for the littel plastic hooks on both sides of the filter housing and they are there.

Is it possible that they are maybe a little bit too long, and that I need to rasp off a bit of the plastic latches from the filter door?

Anyone had a similar issue?
Mine did the same thing, also a 2012. You just have to play with it a bit... well, a lot lol.

Eventually you will get both sides to clip.

Trying hooking one side on. And then apply pressure to the very edge of the other side. And be pretty forceful

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep trying....mine was the same way.......once you get both sides to latch, it will be easier the 2nd time....

2012 here also

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Guys, need your help.

Just did my mod today (with bruises and cuts on both hands....) with a boxcutter.....(2012 Sport)

Anyhow, maybe an advise from one of you.
The filter door cover fits perfectly and also seals the filter opening, BUT, I tried and pushed as much as I could, I am unable to latch the door on both sides. It simply doesn't snap in.

I checked for the littel plastic hooks on both sides of the filter housing and they are there.

Is it possible that they are maybe a little bit too long, and that I need to rasp off a bit of the plastic latches from the filter door?

Anyone had a similar issue?
That is a common grip about the door ! I have a hell of a time to get mine to lock as well ! If I remember right when you put the door on hook 1 side first then push the other side on ! Helps sometimes .

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered my kit today, just in time for allergy season!

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where you live....allergy season has been on here for almost 2 months now......
Northwest Arkansas. Tree and pollen are just starting to get bad here over the last couple of weeks.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
got relatives out that way.....Springdale.......I was out there a few years back when EVERYTHING out there flooded.....

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, I never realized there wasnt a factory one. I'll be doing this real soon
Same here,Seems easy enough..
Now to find the cover in canada at reasonable price.

Is there updated list of good cabin filters that fit?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Last edited:

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got mine done today!

It took a bit longer than I was expecting. You definitely need to do this with a rotary tool. A razor blade just won't cut it. With the rotary tool I traced over where the edge line is over and over until it got weak enough to punch through. The plastic got a little chewed up. I'd say once you get the plastic rectangle cut out, make sure that you go back with your hand and pull out the rough plastic threads along the edge. If you have a sanding type tool like in the picture I used that to try to clean it up some more. It will look kind of gnarly, but you can decently clean it up so it isn't rough. Some plastic dust will get inside where the fan is, I don't think you can avoid it, but as you go you can get your hand in there to try to wipe some of it out. I also used a shop vac with attachments to clean up any plastic dust too. You need the little notches cut out at the bottom of the hole so that the cover fits in. The cover was hard to get on, it's tight with the filter.

View media item 29398View media item 29397View media item 29396View media item 29395View media item 29394

AngryBish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anybody send me the pics? They don’t seem to be working in the original post for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
After consulting You Tube U, I popped the glove box and started with the box knife with new blade. However, the cramped space and arthritis in the hands made it difficult. Ended up using a sharp 1/2" wood chisel and tapping out the opening with a small hammer.
On a side note, I also couldn't get the cover's right side to click in. Ended up using a piece of gaffer tape to hold it in place.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
After consulting You Tube U, I popped the glove box and started with the box knife with new blade. However, the cramped space and arthritis in the hands made it difficult. Ended up using a sharp 1/2" wood chisel and tapping out the opening with a small hammer.
On a side note, I also couldn't get the cover's right side to click in. Ended up using a piece of gaffer tape to hold it in place.

Yea getting the right side clip is a royal pain ! After a while it will finally seat !
Stop into the Senior Citizen Thread and say hello ! A bunch of us Crusty Old farts hang out there, A lot of shooting the bull and also help as needed !

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can trim ,ever so slightly the tab on the cover that hooks over the heater box. Just needs a little material removed where it hooks .the tape tends to loosen after awhile

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot I did this mod and didn't put in filter lol.
Hopefully the cover is still in tact. It's winter here and minus 30 so gonna wait till spring.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Did this mod today in my 2010. Simple order from Amazon got me a filter and the door. 15 minutes and done. That included wiping out and cleaning the hole it goes in. Was quite dirty.

Less than 20 bucks. Easy mod.