Camper Shell insulating windows DIY ideas..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshj84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I plan on doing some camping during the winter in the mountains and I'm looking for some ideas on an idea I had unless you have a better suggestion.

I have a Leer XR camper shell and I'll be sleeping in the bed of the truck on some of these trips.. Well I would like to be able to insulate the windows at night to keep some of the heat inside.

My idea would be to have something I could roll down and up and secure it above the window when not in use. When in use I would just roll it down and affix with velcro covering the windows...

My problem is I have ZERO idea what I could use that would work well with that idea...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,254
OP
OP
J

joshj84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One idea I came up with but not as compact as i'd like is getting king size pillow cases and filling it with cellulose insulation or something?

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I plan on doing some camping during the winter in the mountains and I'm looking for some ideas on an idea I had unless you have a better suggestion.

I have a Leer XR camper shell and I'll be sleeping in the bed of the truck on some of these trips.. Well I would like to be able to insulate the windows at night to keep some of the heat inside.

My idea would be to have something I could roll down and up and secure it above the window when not in use. When in use I would just roll it down and affix with velcro covering the windows...

My problem is I have ZERO idea what I could use that would work well with that idea...

If you have more space below, you could get some roller shade and install them upside down. They usually come with clips you place on your window sill to keep them tight. You could mount those clips to the top of your cap to hold the blinds tight.

hdvespa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How effective will any thin window covering actually be? Is the rest of the camper shell insulated? What about the bed of the truck,. is it insulated? A properly rated sleeping bag might serve you better then trying to insulate the windows.

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with spending the efforts on a good sleeping bag. Several years ago, I spent a night on an air mattress in a camper shell. I had what I thought was a good sleeping bag. Boy was I wrong. It was the coldest night of my life. The cold came through the bed of the truck into the air mattress.

OP
OP
J

joshj84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a good sleeping bag already rated for 0 degrees, and i have a bed rug in the truck as well that has a nice barrier between the metal and the sleeping bag.. But just seeing what options are out there :)

Thank you LilredRam thats a good idea and KahneFan thank you too! both ideas i'll look into.

Shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Watch out for condensation dripping off your roof if it's aluminum. I camped in the back a few times but your breath has a lot of moisture when it gets cold out. It was almost like niagara falls back there. You might consider foam panels on the inside of the shell, but I never tried them as the wife wanted to move up to a tow behind.