Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I expected my tcase fluid to be a lot more red than it was after only 19000miles of mostly 2wd. Knowing that, I plan on doing both diffs and tcase again at 40000miles

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i dont have my window sticker as i bought it used but i do have my build sheet it says i have 3:21 gears and conventional front and rear differentials not sure what that means if anybody can chime in that would be great i want to get the right gear oils

This means you don't have limited slip also called open differential. When you peel out or are on the ice it will be one wheel wonder.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah I expected my tcase fluid to be a lot more red than it was after only 19000miles of mostly 2wd. Knowing that, I plan on doing both diffs and tcase again at 40000miles

Its not that expensive or time consuming to do the front, rear diferentials and transfer case I may do mine every 20k for preventative reasons want to keep this truck going strong for many years

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 1500 LSD's are clutch-type, whereas the HD trucks have a helical-type LSD. Check page 781 of the user's manual.

The 1500's do NEED the anti-slip additive.

I put a Mopar LSD on my truck yesterday and I used Reline Oil and I did not put any LSD Additive. The Red Line Oil has additive included.
It is way smoother than stock and there is NO chatter whatsoever.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a Mopar LSD on my truck yesterday and I used Reline Oil and I did not put any LSD Additive. The Red Line Oil has additive included.
It is way smoother than stock and there is NO chatter whatsoever.

Which is all good and fine, but if you use something else without the additive in it, please remember to add some. :happy107:

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is there a list somewhere of compatible 75w-140 synthetic oils that don't require us to add the Mopar Limited Slip additive? I was thinking of picking up either Valvoline Synthetic or Royal Purple. Or is it still required regardless of the oil I pick?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Is there a list somewhere of compatible 75w-140 synthetic oils that don't require us to add the Mopar Limited Slip additive? I was thinking of picking up either Valvoline Synthetic or Royal Purple. Or is it still required regardless of the oil I pick?

You are going to have to refer to whatever tech data a particular brand states if their fluid in question negates the need for a friction modifier. Being "synthetic" gear oil is not a blanket statement to forego it.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You are going to have to refer to whatever tech data a particular brand states if their fluid in question negates the need for a friction modifier. Being "synthetic" gear oil is not a blanket statement to forego it.
Valvoline and Royal Purple both claim to have friction modifiers but wasn't sure if they are of the same caliber.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out the link ive posted here for you Sir ,

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=84221&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Differential oil change

or just read the OP ( Original Post) I've listed what I used that does not require the additive , actually if you use the REDLINE oil I used in the OP it doesn't matter what differential you have "Anti-spin or not " your good to go ! ( per the Redline Label ) don't take my word for it PLEASE do your own research ....

I'm just saying this is what I've done .. and it has worked out well for me ...
Just read the original post and you'll be fine my friend ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This guy is a legitimate all star ! Not many have his photo , but I found a couple check him out ...talk about a lady killer !

ba41db6885c17b1705c825e92414fef6.jpg

This one is very rare wow he drinks beer ! Like a normal guy !

38c163bdf40b2db26abc87f88becf0ab.jpg
Yep definitely from The Great state of Arkansas GO HOGS !

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go Hogs !

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep beer .

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
deleted

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This guy is a legitimate all star ! Not many have his photo , but I found a couple check him out ...talk about a lady killer !

ba41db6885c17b1705c825e92414fef6.jpg

Thisone is verry rare wow he drinks beer ! Like a normal guy !

38c163bdf40b2db26abc87f88becf0ab.jpg
Yep definitely from The Great state of Arkansas GO HOGS !

All I see in this post is the Busch light. Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sometimes my friend the Bush light alters your vision

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL , deleted

Last edited:

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The manual states that the pig needs to be inspected for leaks at 20K. That doesn't mean a fluid change. For most diffs you would change at 50K under what is considered "severe" use. Towing use is the main "severe" condition but exposure to water (off-road) calls for immediate changing of the fluid.

The high dollar fully synthetic $34/qt marvel currently used by the factory should be good for 100K under normal use.

Personally.... I'm going to change mine @ 50K and I won't use the Mopar mark-up fluid. I'll use any name brand 75W-140. Walmart has the Supertech flavor for $11/qt and your diffs won't know the difference (unless you have the limited-slip..in the 1500 and then you have to buy the Mopar LSD fluid).

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your analysis Sir ...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Come on man sombody stop me ? ?
Isn't there any (tiny 12) or (little 10) or (pac whatever you are now ) fans out there ?

I remember back, when all those Deep South, ******, under educated males, who fanatically cling to sports teams, in order to help make up for their own, justified, feelings of personal inadequacy, first started up this whole SEC is better than everyone, but most specially, the Big 10.

Bowl season, back when there where only a few of them.

Pretty sure it was ol Keith Jackson, College Football Personified, who had thus far, rightly and intelligently, stayed out of the fray. However, one babbling former SEC player, now turned announcer, was going on & on, about how an SEC team was beating up Northwestern. A game that was being played on another channel, not the game being called.

A field reporter, yet another SEC player, now on network sports broadcasting, jumped onto the SEC Love Fest.

When, finally, Keith Jackson made this quite simple, yet pointed, observation.
First, he [pointed out that, in order to play for ANY college team, one must first pass said colleges entrance exam. He also pointed out, that while he did not have ACT or SAT scores to justify his opinion, but only his own personal interactions with the various players of each school, he highly doubted if the SEC team clobbering Northwestern had more than one or two players who could even get admitted to the school, let alone get on the team.

The second thing he addressed was how slow BIG 10 players were, when compared to SEC. As an SEC player was being carted off the field, he commented that the reason the BIG 10 was so slow was they were so BIG. Each player had to survive a season of playing against other insanely immense players, While an SEC team could play one game, against a BIG 10 team, and run circles while doing it, he doubted any SEC team could survive a fill BIG 10 season of big 10 games and then still field a team, for a final bowl game.

I do not point any of this out to you, to STOP YOU, as you requested.
My sole intent is to, hopefully, educate you.
Though considering your location and preference for SEC schools, I think it, most likely, a lost cause.

I strongly suspect the reason no one else has attempted to "stop you" from your SEC rants, is for the same reason, while at a Zoo, one does not stop Monkeys from furiously ************.
To wit, it is futile endeavor, since they are far too stupid to understand why it is in poor taste and, honestly, it is funny to watch the fool creatures behavior.

Rant on, the rest of us find it amusing.

To think, this thread started out so grand . . .

he he he

Go Big 10

Last edited:

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
For me personally I'm glad I didn't wait until 100k to do mine it was inexpensive and fairly easy even for a novice in auto repair such as myself thanks again for the write up R.L.K it was very helpful