DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
^^^^ this

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RockyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
the factory steering wheel control buttons wont work with an aftermarket stereo until you put in a steering wheel control adapter like this one

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter Connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to select aftermarket car stereos at Crutchfield.com

Thanks. Yes, the vehicle came with one of those in it. The previous owner had an aftermarket head unit hooked up to the "up, down, left, right" controls on the front of the wheel, but they were always controlling both the car computer and the stereo - making them useless in reality.

The dealership I bought the (used) truck from agreed to install the Mopar behind-wheel-controls for free, since they sold the vehicle with that wonky control configuration.

They got the controls installed and they look great. Unfortunately, they weren't able to program the PAC to work with the new controls, AND they left my horn disconnected which I found out right after they closed. I should have just done it myself. Now I'm off to try to hook the horn back up in case I need it this weekend. I'll worry about the controls after that. What a day.

RockyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dealer had pulled the horn fuse during the switches install and forgot to put it back.

Geez. Now back to programming the PAC...

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Odd that they would pull the horn fuse? Personally I just disconnect the battery, step on the brake pedal to drain the system, wait a couple minutes for the caps in the airbag to drain fully. After work is done reconnect battery, the horn circuit itself is barely part of the equation either way except when you reinstall the airbag, which I do prior to reconnecting the battery. Just seems weird to me that they would do it that way.

What brand/model aftermarket HU is in the truck?

RockyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought it used with a Kenwood KDC-X599 installed, which seems like a downgrade from the factory unit so I don't know what the previous owner was thinking. Maybe they sold the factory head unit on eBay before selling the truck and replaced it with the $150 aftermarket unit? I know the factory ones can catch a pretty penny because that was my first thought - put it back to stock. I'm not sure how the original owner put up with the buttons always controlling both the computer and stereo, it's absolutely annoying, so that sort of supports the idea that the did it right before selling the truck.

The dealer has been really cool about it and acknowledged that I've put a great deal of time and effort into fixing this to get nowhere so far, other than having non-working buttons installed (at the moment the PAC is disconnected so as to not interfere). They offered to install a new Pioneer Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS touchscreen DVD head unit and make it work with the new buttons/PAC at their cost in exchange for my troubles. That was above and beyond what I expected as a resolution and if they can actually make that work for me, I'll be beyond satisfied. I'm scheduled for the install on Wednesday morning. Here's to hoping that works out!

RockyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't believe I'm saying this after all the running around I did, but.... DONE! The buttons are in and working. Not only that, but I was able to have them set up so the volume is on the left side - I think it's usually the other way around by the factory, but I wanted my left hand to operate the volume to free up my right hand. I'm stoked! I never would have known it was possible if not for this thread. HUGE thanks!

Matt Jobe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
the kit states it is for the 1500, will it work on the 2500 as well?

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
I'm have been thinking of getting the kit. I traded a 13 300c for my 15 Express and didn't think I would miss the steering wheel controls as much as I do. Ironically I kind of miss the leather steering wheel too!

So my question, when on car-parts.com, I see a bunch of Big Horn steering wheels for a little more the a $100. Could I skip the kit and just buy a used steering wheel with the factory controls, and get the leather as a bonus?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm have been thinking of getting the kit. I traded a 13 300c for my 15 Express and didn't think I would miss the steering wheel controls as much as I do. Ironically I kind of miss the leather steering wheel too!

So my question, when on car-parts.com, I see a bunch of Big Horn steering wheels for a little more the a $100. Could I skip the kit and just buy a used steering wheel with the factory controls, and get the leather as a bonus?

I'm not sure that all Big Horns have leather wheels and audio controls.I'm not sure that all Big Horns have leather wheels and audio controls.
You can however just swap out our steering wheel for a leather wheel with audio controls and it will work fine.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Check on Ebay, there is a seller SeatsandSuch that sell Leather Steering wheels with audio controls already installed for $169. the Steering wheel kits are around $140, so for $30 more you get a leather wheel.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check on Ebay, there is a seller SeatsandSuch that sell Leather Steering wheels with audio controls already installed for $169. the Steering wheel kits are around $140, so for $30 more you get a leather wheel.

If I had an option I would've bought a leather she'll with buttons installed already but I did the mod before I found leather ones for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
If I had an option I would've bought a leather she'll with buttons installed already but I did the mod before I found leather ones for sale

I already had done the Controls before I got my leather one. Sold the whole kit to a member on here for $105. Check your PM's too.

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I even saw the Laramie wheels for around $125 on car-parts. My 300c had the wood but not gonna be able to pull it off on a black express! Regardless, I'm gonna go wheel with leather instead of the kit.

Here is a cut and paste from their site. Again says wood so not for me but they are out there

Steering Wheel
Dodge Truck 1500 WOOD/LTHR W 12BUTTON ,HTD A AA0493 $125 Highway Auto Parts USA

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks guys. I even saw the Laramie wheels for around $125 on car-parts. My 300c had the wood but not gonna be able to pull it off on a black express! Regardless, I'm gonna go wheel with leather instead of the kit.

Here is a cut and paste from their site. Again says wood so not for me but they are out there

Steering Wheel
Dodge Truck 1500WOOD/LTHR W 12BUTTON ,HTDAAA0493$125Highway Auto Parts USA

I think the black wood and leather wheel would look nice in an Express.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I want a black wood and leather one, so if anyone finds on/or buys one and wants a 100% leather wheel I'll swap and pay any price difference.

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a steering wheel so I can get leather and audio controls. I have a 2015 black express CC with the 5.0.

Definitely plug and play??