DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy_H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Just to be sure, this kit will work with my 2015 Tradesman Crew Cab with uConnect 5.0 right? The dealer will install for $150.

Thanks,

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just to be sure, this kit will work with my 2015 tradesman crew cab with uconnect 5.0 right? The dealer will install for $150.

Thanks,
yes !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to be sure, this kit will work with my 2015 Tradesman Crew Cab with uConnect 5.0 right? The dealer will install for $150.

Thanks,
Order it from www.allmoparparts.com
$125.00 , watch the videos within this thread and install yourself ! It's pretty easy and you'd feel good about doing it yourself !

Just my .02

Furyious Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport C/C sunroof leather
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thread cgeorgemo , many thanks to all , this is exactly what I need.

RamForum Rocks :)

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Thanks,

I did this in my 2014 Tradesman Crew Cab with the 5.0 radio. It should be fine...

jllss77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great post. A huge asset when I installed a steering wheel from a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie into my 2015 2500 Tradesman. I wanted the leather and steering wheel audio controls. It was a two hour job following the directions above. it took a little extra time switching out the controls on the right side of the steering wheel. I did not need the transmission controls on the wheel.

Sean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great post. Helped a lot just got mine done took less than an hour thanks to this write up thank again

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Just joined so I could post to this thread and say thanks. I just got my 15 Tradesman without audio controls. I really was not going to do too many mods but this one is important. I like to be able to tweak the volume or change stations without diverting attention.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Can someone confirm if all leather wrapped steering wheels have the audio controls?

getupkid

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
No, not all leather wrapped steering wheels have buttons. I do have a leather wrapped steering wheel without buttons if anyone is interested. I also have a rubber steering wheel without buttons for sale. I have another wheel on the way and if it has the controls, I will add them to the leather one I'm selling. Both have connect controls if you are wanting to add that too.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Thanks, ebay has a leather one for cheap. Scratch that, its gone. You probably got it huh? I have all the controls on the front of the wheel, I was hoping for a cheap leather one with the buttons on the back to swap out. I will keep checking here and ebay for some gear.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Have any of you guys had the recall done yet. What I am wondering if anyone got any grief over replacing their steering wheels. I have a copy of the procedure including pictures. What they do is remove the top column shroud and the airbag. They shorten the steering wheel harness by pinching it off with a plastic wire tie. They then put rubber caps on the two posts coming out of the back of the airbag, and reassemble.

Here is a copy of the procedure:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM485943/RCRIT-15V459-0715.pdf

What I wondering is first anyone get any mouth or problems from the dealerships , because you took it apart previously. And of course how careful they were preforming the recall, I do not want a single battle scar on my truck, and these clowns have a reputation to uphold of damaging customers vehicles by using the wrong tools, rushing and in general just not giving a crap.

Things to look for will be:
1. Gouges and scratches in the steering column shroud.
2. Missing screws that attach the upper and lower shrouds around the column, and as we all know care must be taken not to strip the plastic threads in the upper shroud.
3. And chewing up around the slots of the plastic steering wheel shroud where the airbag tool is inserted. My guess in many of these guys will use a pry bar, screw driver or whatever they have close by instead of using the proper DAB removal tool.

Maybe I am just being cynical, but there is very good reason why consumer groups, various auto reporting websites and the NHTSA rate Fiat (Ram) service centers at or near the very near the bottom of the list in terms of quality, skill level and customer satisfaction out of all vehicle maker worldwide. They have earned it

Here is one
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/03/top-10-worst-car-dealerships-by-brand.html

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the recall directions Link. I will be looking this over before I take it in as well.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Have any of you guys had the recall done yet. What I am wondering if anyone got any grief over replacing their steering wheels. I have a copy of the procedure including pictures. What they do is remove the top column shroud and the airbag. They shorten the steering wheel harness by pinching it off with a plastic wire tie. They then put rubber caps on the two posts coming out of the back of the airbag, and reassemble.

Here is a copy of the procedure:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM485943/RCRIT-15V459-0715.pdf

What I wondering is first anyone get any mouth or problems from the dealerships , because you took it apart previously. And of course how careful they were preforming the recall, I do not want a single battle scar on my truck, and these clowns have a reputation to uphold of damaging customers vehicles by using the wrong tools, rushing and in general just not giving a crap.

Things to look for will be:
1. Gouges and scratches in the steering column shroud.
2. Missing screws that attach the upper and lower shrouds around the column, and as we all know care must be taken not to strip the plastic threads in the upper shroud.
3. And chewing up around the slots of the plastic steering wheel shroud where the airbag tool is inserted. My guess in many of these guys will use a pry bar, screw driver or whatever they have close by instead of using the proper DAB removal tool.

Maybe I am just being cynical, but there is very good reason why consumer groups, various auto reporting websites and the NHTSA rate Fiat (Ram) service centers at or near the very near the bottom of the list in terms of quality, skill level and customer satisfaction out of all vehicle maker worldwide. They have earned it

Here is one
Top 10 Worst Car Dealerships by Brand » AutoGuide.com News

Yeah, there is some risk there. If they hose up your steering wheel with any damage, they are only going to replace it with whatever your truck was built with by ordering per VIN number.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
DELETED (was steering wheel found on ebay)

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone know if it's possible to swap the volume controls to the left side of the steering wheel? it's dumb that the volume is on the right side, mere inches from the volume knob of the radio. i tend to drive with my left hand and would love to have my volume buttons on the left side.
and, other cars i've owned have had volume controls on the left. kinda got used to that.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I doubt it. When I added the steering wheel radio controls and new harness to my wheel there wasn't any extra wire in the harness (or room) to shift it over.

You would have to remake the harness and extend/shorten the relevant wires as appropriate.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

getupkid

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have the two steering wheels, one rubber and one leather from 2013s. I have 1 set of audio controls that can go with either one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 169