DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Another question. After putting the steering wheel back on what are the torque specs for the nut for the steering wheel, or do I just use the good en tight method??
Thanks

I used the good and tight method.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey CGEORGEMO, another question. Mentally going through the process when I do it tomorrow.

You said for each clip, you turn the wheel so that each position is centered on the top of the wheel's rotation. This will help when you are prying off the clip.

Question, with the negative battery terminal disconnected, you can't turn the truck on to use the power steering to move the steering wheel. So what is the secret to turning the steering wheel to get the clips at the 12 o'clock position.

Thanks, not meaning to be a bother, just thinking things through.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And be sure to re-center the wheel back once you get the airbag off.

Gotcha, use muscle power.

Then re-center. Is there a notch that the steering wheel lines back up with, or just use a couple of tic marks to line things back up?

Again, thank you for your help:waytogo:

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again cgeorgemo, THANK YOU!!

ZAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Will these parts work for a 2014 3500 truck?

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cgeorgemo, I felt like I owe it to you. Here is my After Action Review:

Honestly, airbag clips weren't my most frustrating part, they came off pretty easy.

I got the wrong steering arm puller, need the ones with the hooks to pull the steering wheel off, but I did give it a shot and the steering wheel did wiggle off.

The top right torx screw on the steering wheel while it is facing me, would not come out and it got stripped. I was able to get the wiring behind it anyway.

I went to put the left side controller in and it popped out of its housing. Freaked at first, but nothing appeared broken so I just snapped it back together.

Now putting the steering wheel back together, the 2 phillips on the back of the steering wheel at the bottom, was snugging them up and they stripped.

Putting the steering wheel back on, the clock spring was moving a little bit back and forth after I hooked the wires up. Was concerned I screwed that up.

Anyway got the steering wheel back on. Left the air bag off and reconnected the negative terminal to check if controls worked and they did. Yeah!!

Now concerned about that clock spring moving, I took my truck for a test drive on the interstate. Cruise controls worked fine. Came home, backed up, lines were straight when backing up.

1) Now after reading that does it appear that I didn't mess with the clock spring too much to screw things up, since cruise control worked fine and the back up camera line were straight with the tires when backing up??

2) Any idea on how to fix those 2 stripped phillips heads on the back of the steering wheel??

Overall, I would say it was a success. After I hear from you, to make sure everything sounds fine, I will disconnect the negative battery terminal again and install the airbag.

Again, your help help has been most appreciated.

Thank you:waytogo:

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you don't have the idiot light saying you've lost stability and the backup lines are straight. I'd say you've gotten the clock spring lined up correctly.
Did the screw heads strip or did the screw threads?
If it's the heads and they are on but not useable I'd leave them alone. If it is the threads and you don't have any bite so that the screw is loose I'd get some metal pin and put it in the hole while screwing the threads back in. They will bite on the metal pin and it will get wedged tight to make a hold for the screw.

Last edited:

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The threads in the plastic hole where the metal screw goes.

Teflon tape around the screw or maybe go up a screw size??

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I would think a screw size might work, it is worth a shot.

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to thank Cgeorgemo for the tutorial. I was able to get the parts installed yesterday afternoon. To help with the removal of the airbag I used a mirror so I could see what I was doing. I also bent the tip of a standard screwdriver so I could get a little more leverage on the retaining clips.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cgeorgemo, again THANK YOU for all of your assistance!!!:peace:

I love these audio controls now, wife doesn't understand, even though she has them and uses them????

I do have ONE more question for you, after doing this mod, I am noticing when I am getting out of my truck, I am getting zapped by a little static when I touch my door. I am wondering bad ground somewhere???

When I did the mod, I notice that the wires, not from the new wiring harness, but the ones that connect each of those white standoff things was flattened, no wire was exposed, just flattened.

Could one of the wires in this mod cause a bad ground???

I already had an appointment with the dealership to fix one of the door panels that was messed up when I got the truck, gonna have them take a look at this too.

Any thoughts????

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
cgeorgemo, again THANK YOU for all of your assistance!!!:peace:

I love these audio controls now, wife doesn't understand, even though she has them and uses them????

I do have ONE more question for you, after doing this mod, I am noticing when I am getting out of my truck, I am getting zapped by a little static when I touch my door. I am wondering bad ground somewhere???

When I did the mod, I notice that the wires, not from the new wiring harness, but the ones that connect each of those white standoff things was flattened, no wire was exposed, just flattened.

Could one of the wires in this mod cause a bad ground???

I already had an appointment with the dealership to fix one of the door panels that was messed up when I got the truck, gonna have them take a look at this too.

Any thoughts????

Not sure about any wiring being flattened in the truck. I didn't notice anything with mine.

Rub some dryer sheets on your seats to eliminate some static build up when you slide across the seats. Or you could spray some of that static guard to eliminate static cling on clothing.

weekley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about any wiring being flattened in the truck. I didn't notice anything with mine.

On one of the posts where a screw goes down on. Those 2 wires that run around the white posts, when I screwed the screw down, that wire was on part of the flat part and when I tightened it down it flattened it. At first I didn't notice it, but after looking around at my wiring, I noticed that wire was on a flat surface. No screw penetration or wire exposed. The only other weird thing that happened to me at first was the horn kept going off when connecting the negative battery terminal back up. So that was when I went back and looked at the wiring. I moved that wire, horn didn't keep blowing when I hooked up the negative battery terminal. IDK???

Gonna let dealership take a look at it.

Is there even a ground wire in the steering wheel or would that even cause a problem?? I would assume if there was a problem with that wire that went to the white posts for the airbag that I would get some air bag warning. Again, IDK??

Just weird getting zapped, don't know how to confirm if is coincidence or a problem??

But I like the audio controls:waytogo:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Lol. My wife told me the same thing the other day when I mentioned getting the allmoparparts kit to do this!

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just did the mod and upgraded to a leather steering wheel on my 13 express, not a hard mod but what a PITA to get the wheel off.

Do yourself a favor and use a small hand mirror so you can see the airbag clips so its very easy to lift them off. Now I can enjoy my new cluster, 8.4 with nav, leather steering wheel, and volume controls!!! Thanks to all the guys doing the mods and sharing the info.