DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
2013-18 ram 1500/2500 and 2019-21 1500 Classic 4th gen wheels will work.

It will usually be a leather bighorn or higher trim wheel to get the audio controls. If the 2500 wheel doesn't have your gear +/- buttons (ie column shift), you should be able to disassemble the wheel and transfer your switch over to it.
If the wheel is heated, you can use it, minus the heated portion.

toby7362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I found a 2015 3500 dually steering wheel. Would that work with my 2019? Thanks

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes it should, but as mentioned, up will need to take it apart to swap over your gear +/- button assy.

toby7362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just finished the steering wheel mod. Switched out a leather with radio controls from a plastic without controls. Everything went very easy because of all of you. Thank you so much for all of your advice in every way. I really appreciate it. I used a mirror and a 1/4 inch tack remover. It looks like a v at the tip and has a screwdriver handle. Using the mirror, I could see the clips perfectly and with the tool, airbag was off in a few minutes and I was very careful. I then rented a steering wheel puller from NAPA. it actually was free on e I returned it. I never knew that they loaned tools…pretty cool for that one tool that you won’t use often or never again.

Once the new wheel was back on the splines, and everything was assembled, all controls worked.

Only question is…the wheel is very slightly turned when tracking on the road. I cannot tell if this is road crown but I think if I took it off a d moved the wheel one spline, it might be too far the other direction. Has anyone come across this with a new/different wheel than the original? It seems like such a small adjustment could be made…possibly with an alignment. Please let me know your thoughts as it was 96 degrees today and I really don’t want to pull this wheel off again if I don’t have to. I know its hard to know without seeing it but any thoughts, advice, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'd take it off and shift it over one spline and see if that helps before messing with the alignment any day.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I just swapped my plastic wheel for a leather wheel with the same switchgear (plus audio on back side), but when I started the truck back up, I have lost a number of functions on the radio (Sirius is gone, climate is missing settings, no backup camera, and prob other issues).

The wheel I swapped to is one I bought some years ago and never installed on my '15 2500. I found the email exchange with the ebay seller and it was originally listed as a '13-16 RAM Sport wheel, which theoretically should have been plug-and-play.

I presume there must be a harness difference, so I'm going to pull it back off and switch all the harness and switchgear from my old wheel and see if that corrects. Will report back when done.

… later …

I swapped the original harness and switches from my plastic wheel into the leather wheel, and am still having probs with no Sirius and no backup cam. Climate is screwed up, too.

I’ll start reading through more of the 65+ pages in this thread for clues, and appreciate any suggestions.

... even later still ...

Pulled the airbag out one more time (with feeling) just to double-check I actually plugged the harness back in, which I did. Still no go on Sirius, backup cam and climate controls.

I did find this info in another thread where someone reported losing Sirius and backup cam after a battery disconnect:

It will take the radio several key cycles to read the BCM and restore all the functions. Every time you disconnect the battery it starts all over again. This is normal for the newer 8.4 radios. There is no reset procedure for the 18 up radios. The reset procedure was for the 13 to 17 RA3 and RA4 radios.

I've cycled power several times, including a drive to the post office just now. I guess I'll leave it sit and see if things are back in the morning. I did do an AlfaOBD Radio Hub Reset, with no change.

... and yet even later ...

Just finished reading through this whole thread, and it looks like I shouldn't have needed to swap my harness. The switchgear for the gear selector probably did need switching, though (6sp vs. 8sp). So I might put the old harness back in, to get the audio controls working again, which presumes the harness won't have issue with the different gear selector switch.

I was unable to find any way to force a Uconnect reboot on my '21 truck. Tried all the different combinations I found for older trucks, and the only one that worked was Dealer Mode.

I've got to run to Lowe's tonight for parts for another project, and will see what Uconnect looks like tomorrow.

... RESOLVED ...

All is good now. Apparently U(don't)connect finally reset itself, as everything was back to normal when I fired 'er up to head to Lowe's.

I'll yank it all back out tomorrow and swap the harness with audio leads back in, then wait for it to reset itself again, and I can then call this project "done!"

... Final Update ...

Swapped the harness and everything is now working as it should. I guess the lesson here is A) believe all the posts that say it's "plug-n-play," and B) my truck takes a while to reset itself after a battery disconnect.

es

Last edited:

speedkills66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic Warlock
Engine
Added steering wheel audio controls to my 2019 Warlock this weekend. Previously had a Big Horn with all the bells and whistles and didn't realize how much i liked having the steering wheel controls.
Super happy that this could be done, and no trip to the dealer needed!

I have the plastic steering wheel now, which i don't mind, so I just replaced the back cover of the steering wheel, added the 2 buttons, and swapped the wiring harness.
I bought the airbag removal tool from Amazon (a MUST have IMO) and the Performance Tool steering wheel puller.
I had the airbag off in under 5 minutes, and could have had the whole job done in 45 minutes or less, but really took my time, especially with replacing and routing the new harness.
All in it took just under 2 hours, with breaks to show my wife my progress along the way....

My best advice to any one wanting to do this would be to buy the airbag removal tool and steering wheel puller. Everything else needed you probably already have.

I was worried about getting my steering wheel back on properly centered, but my truck has splines on the column and in the steering wheel that are "keyed" so it can't go on any other way but centered.

Overall a very easy and necessary addition if you don't already have these controls.
The buttons work perfectly and I couldn't be more pleased.

Thanks to all in this thread for learning everything before me, it made the job even easier.

Cheers.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just received my steering wheel radio controls. Thanks for the write up.