DIY: C-Bar taillight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disclaimer: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL IN THE AFTERMARKET MODIFICATION INDUSTRY...WITH THAT BEING SAID, IF YOU MESS YOUR **** UP IT AINT MY FAULT :favorites13:

First remove taillights. If you need instruction on this....reconsider this mod now.

Next bake open. I did 215 for 12 mins. Then start peeling it apart CAREFULLY.
image_zpsdrn9qonh.jpg

Tailight opened. I cleaned it out while it was open. I recommend gloves because you'll leave finger smudges all over the chrome area.
image_zpsgkhpsa0o.jpg

Test fit the tubes to see where you need to drill/silicone.
After you select your spot....drill a hole for the leads.
image_zpst3wix5ja.jpg
image_zpsbeqyj4m7.jpg

This was probably the hardest part. The tubes came with some cheap plastic holders and the worlds smallest screws known to man that kept stripping out. I wanted to insure they would not move...ever. So I drilled tiny holes and used 20gauge wire to hold them down. Finished wiring it down. With the lens cover on you can hardly see the wires through the VHT. Twist the wires on the back so they don't come loose. At this point I put silicone under the tube for double-tapping purposes. Them ***** arent goin anywhere.
image_zpsdth3bizb.jpg

Next, flipped over and put silicone on leads and wires for sealing purposes. I let it dry at least 30 mins before continuing.
image_zpssie1dyhz.jpg

Next, test that sum_itch.
image_zpsjm5axe1n.jpg

Power and ground....this can be done multiple different ways. This is how I did it. I'm a fan of the heat shrink. Also, with a quick connect if the tube starts acting up it can be quickly disconnected.
image_zpshg48hyw9.jpg

Finally seal it up. Use some clamps and let it set 24hrs to get a good solid seal.
image_zpswj1pzyli.jpg

From here....reinstall on the truck and power it up as you like. There's so many ways I won't go into that.

Questions?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome work! Did you say these could be cut to fit different applications? What did you use to seal it back together?

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well done man! Great write up

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

freekie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did you get the Tubes? part numbers?

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome work! Did you say these could be cut to fit different applications? What did you use to seal it back together?

They can be cut. I didn't cut them though. They don't recommend it. I had a tube of silicone in my garage I used to seal it back.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Good job man..

You think some thin white zip ties would work better than the wire?
I need to get some pare tails to play wtih.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good job man..

I need to get some pare tails to play wtih.
I was thinking fishing line...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Great job! That looks awesome!

As far as fishing line or zip ties go... I like the wire he used best. Zip ties dry out and crack in high heat and fishing line might just stretch. Jmho

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

pitajr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As far as fishing line or zip ties go... I like the wire he used best. Zip ties dry out and crack in high heat and fishing line might just stretch. Jmho

Not just that, the zip ties might block too much light and be obvious with the lights on

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was thinking fishing line...

I did consider zipties but I didn't have any small enough at the time that i would've used. Bird dog raises a good point about them breaking...it gets hot as hell here. Plus the wires are super thin that you can't really see them once there in there. I'd have to point them out to people who didn't know.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can't see the wire in th pics. I was just thinking that to myself until someone brought up zip ties. All valid arguments against using them.

I was looking at some OEM LED taillights and it appears this MOD wouldn't work in those. There doesn't appear to be enough space in those lights. Anyone think differently?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Do you know how many zip ties I have under my hood? haha.
I don't recall any one of them breaking.

I thought about the zip ties blocking the light, but I was thinking I have some frosted ones that are very small.

Just an idea

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know exactly the kind your talking about. They would probably glow with the tube and allow enough light through to be imperceptible if they are small/thin enough.

For no redo, metal wire is probably the way to go, but there are plenty of fasteners that could work.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at some OEM LED taillights and it appears this MOD wouldn't work in those. There doesn't appear to be enough space in those lights. Anyone think differently?

This was a possible issue I saw with the led tails.

Hell, I went into my tails blind. I didn't really know what or how the plastic would be formed in there without actually opening it up.

aldair_feliciano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the actual led strip called looking to do it myself I'd appreciate it just looking to see how to find it online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk