DIY: C-Bar taillight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are the ones I used however I would not recommend due to the leads being super small making them a pain to work with. As I mentioned to another member, I would opt for a little bit more expensive set if I were to do it again.

Other than that they do work as described.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Do you know how many zip ties I have under my hood? haha.
I don't recall any one of them breaking.

I thought about the zip ties blocking the light, but I was thinking I have some frosted ones that are very small.

Just an idea
Enough to where the truck would fall apart if you removed them all?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I did consider zipties but I didn't have any small enough at the time that i would've used. Bird dog raises a good point about them breaking...it gets hot as hell here. Plus the wires are super thin that you can't really see them once there in there. I'd have to point them out to people who didn't know.
I have another idea... . Get ready, here comes the smoke!

If you don't mind waiting an extra day to do the install, get a squeeze tube of clear silicone. Place a dot of silicone and lay the tube on top of it. Hold it in place with scotch tape. Keep doing that along the light tube. Leave it to dry over night and then remove the tape. Viola! Tube stays in its place and held from behind by silicone that won't break off for crap in any heat, moisture or anything else.
I know this works because I put a magnetic mount cb antenna on my roof and a glass mounted ham radio antenna on the glass. I ran the wires along the edge of the back glass because I hate unsightly hanging wires down the back of my rig. Looks like I fed them into a hole and you cannot see the silicone. Check it out.
812074dadba0d01932723eb965fc3e2d.jpg96065c2548413480b4ea232a0d46861c.jpg

If you look closely you can see the coax running along the edge of the glass. Hard to see the silicone because it's clear. Where I have it, I really should have used black silicone but what's done is done for now. You guys can use the clear better.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I might try this...the only issue I see may be the tube moving before the silicone sets.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I might try this...the only issue I see may be the tube moving before the silicone sets.

Would you be using the same method i did?

I put the silicone on after I wired them down.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Would you be using the same method i did?

I put the silicone on after I wired them down.
Only if I must to get them to stay. I would prefer less drilling but it does seem to be the most practical way to get them to stay.

I thought that you had used the wires for shape, and only used silicone to seal everything back up. I didn't realize you used silicone under the led as well...

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73

That's what the scotch tape is for. To hold the tube while the silicone dries.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wired them down and then moved the big sections (between the wires) aside and put some silicone beneath and then moved the tube back over the silicone.

Hope that makes sense.

Took some maneuvering skills.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's what the scotch tape is for. To hold the tube while the silicone dries.
They must sell really different scotch tape by you. The kind I have only hold on to wrapping paper...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's what I thought. I guess I need to see how malleable the tube is first. If it has a tendency to return to a more or less straight shape, I may need something with a little more grip...

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
That's what I thought. I guess I need to see how malleable the tube is first. If it has a tendency to return to a more or less straight shape, I may need something with a little more grip...

I didn't look. Does it come in other colors? White or amber?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, all kinds. Even a White/Amber switchback...

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I need to see how malleable the tube is first. If it has a tendency to return to a more or less straight shape

They wanna stay really straight lol

I thought about doing the switchbacks as well. I was lookin for a red/Amber or a red/red. All I found was white Amber.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They wanna stay really straight lol

I thought about doing the switchbacks as well. I was lookin for a red/Amber or a red/red. All I found was white Amber.
I'm thinking about switchback for a combo running/turn signal setup. I shouldn't need any resistors as the original incandescent will still be in play. It might look funny with the quick on/off of the LED vs the pulse like on/off of the factory bulb...or it could look really cool like I meant to do it!

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking about switchback for a combo running/turn signal setup. I shouldn't need any resistors as the original incandescent will still be in play. It might look funny with the quick on/off of the LED vs the pulse like on/off of the factory bulb...or it could look really cool like I meant to do it!

Couple things...

Where/how would you power the switchbacks?

If you tap into the turn circuit you might still need resistors.

This is the debacle I came across....the tubes couldn't be seen very well with the tail bulbs constantly on.....so I disabled that with a lil modification to the bulb itself (which I don't suggest anyone do). Plus, I personally think it looks better with just the tubes on as running lights.

But yes, it would've been cool if the tubes worked as turns themselves.

Haagster89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this question might be out of place so if some one could point me in a better thread it would be very kind of you. But has anyone swapped out their regular halogen tails with the factory led tails?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know this question might be out of place so if some one could point me in a better thread it would be very kind of you. But has anyone swapped out their regular halogen tails with the factory led tails?
Contact jjretroshop. He can hook you up.