DIY Driving Light Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AGZ951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All, First Post on here. Hope this can help someone who is troubled by the lack of Light Bars available for the 2012 1500 Rams. I built my own with some angle iron and flat bar, a small welder, grinder, and flat black spray paint.

First I built a frame behind the grill out of 1.5 inch angle iron. I welded the two vertical pieces to the horizontal piece on the bottom. The horizontal angle iron ran across the frame behind the oil cooler. I then welded 1.5 x 1/4 inch flat bar 90 degrees forward from the vertical angle iron on each side. I extended it out three inches beyond where the grill sits. I then welded 3/4 inch flat bar across between the two 1.5 X 1/4 inch flat bars just behind the grill location for stability. The frame is held in place by two verticle 1/4x20-1 inch long bolts on through the bottom of the frame and two 1/4X20x 3 inch long horizontal bolts through the top angle iron and frame. All areas between the angle iron and frame have double sided sticky tape to reduce any vibrations.

I then had to cut the grill to let the light mounting bars come through the grill. I first found a replacement grill insert on Craigslist for $50. Than I cut out the two slots for the bars. Not to bad!

You can see in the photos in the photos where I mounted my two 30 Amp relays, and then tied the power into the + side of the battery with two 30 Amp fuses.

The switch is located just below my hand in the center console storage box. I like this location so I don't have to reach up to the dash each time I need to turn the lights on or off. You may think that is lazy, but I used to have it on the dash and it was a PIA at times. I tapped into the switched power wire for the cigarette lighter in the same storage bin as the switch. I didn't take the power from the high beams switch because I like to be able to run the fog light as they do fill the ditches fairly well.

Lastly I mounted the lights (four LightForce 170s) staggering the outer lights back form the inner to make them contour with the grill and bumper. Hope you enjoyed reading and the photos. Let me know if you have any questions.

AGZ951

Attachments

• Grillshot.jpg
    Grillshot.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 389
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Frame3.jpg
    Frame3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 226

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well that is a hell of a first post. May be better posted in the diy section for people to reference in the future. But thats definetly some awesome work! I had never thought of coming through the grill before.
Thanks for sharing. Gave me some ideas ;)

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that is some great work you did there, it looks very clean and not out of place as some light bumpers look imo

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sorry, 3rd Genner here, do the grills on the 4th Gens not go up with the hoods anymore? Seems like that'd be an issue with that setup..

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, 3rd Genner here, do the grills on the 4th Gens not go up with the hoods anymore? Seems like that'd be an issue with that setup..

They don't. :)

Seemed odd when I opened the hood the first time on my '12, as compared to my Dakota and Durango.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a damned creative and nice looking solution! Good on ya!

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Genius. Now I have some new renderings for my 42" light bar sitting in my garage.

OP
OP
A

AGZ951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, This one took a bit more thinking time then the behind the grill 3rd Gen lights mounted I've made in the past. I honestly like to looks of he behind the grill, but these fourth Gens don't give many behind the grill options. At least not for the size lights I wanted to mount. I also like the light bar option but am not familiar with the technology to jump into at this time. It's starting to get dark up here, and these will be useful. Here are a couple more pics of the parts/install.

Attachments

• Frame1.jpg
    Frame1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Frame3.jpg
    Frame3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Frontal 2.jpg
    Frontal 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Frame2.jpg
    Frame2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 180

Nubster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, I wasn't aware either so after I test drove my Gen. 4, in the dealer's lot I popped the hood to check out the heart of the beast and when I grabbed the bottom of the grill to open the hood, I gave it a good tug and popped the grill partially off...I was like WTF?!?!