DIY Dual Relay/Dual Trigger Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been running HIDs in my ram since I bought it, recently the relay harness **** the bed. So I decided to make Dual relay, dual trigger harness.

What you will need.
- two 12V Relays
- Soldering Iron
- Solder
- 12ft Red 14 gauge wire
- 12ft black 14 gauge wire
- 2 male 9006 connectors
- 2 female 9006 connectors
- 1 Inline fuse w/30a
- Electrical tape
- 1 Eyelet Electrical connector
- Heat Shrink
- 3/8 loom
- 7" zip ties

The previous relay I was using only used the driver side connection to trigger the relay to turn on both lights, as it started to fail one light would not come on.

With this set up, each light triggers its own HID ballast, that way if a light does fail it will be easier to diagnose.

I made 2 harnesses (1 for my headlights, 1 for my foglights) for about $66, which included buying a soldering iron

DualRelay.jpg

Pins #30, I soldered 1 red wire to each connection.
Then soldered those 2 red wires into 1 connection with an inline 30A fuse

Pins #87, I soldered 1 red wire to the passenger side 9006 male connection, and another I soldered to the drivers side 9006 male connection

I then soldered two different ground wires from each male connection, made the drivers side short, passenger side long. Then did a 2 to 1 connection. And finally connected an Eyelet connection at the end.

Pins # 85 & #86 are the 'triggers' that will activate the relay sending power to #87 triggering the HID Ballast.

I again soldered one connection for + and - to each relay. Using a female 9006 connection.

Use the loom to cover the wires, use electrical tape to secure it.

After all is said and done hook it up and it should work like a charm!

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a great setup! Question though... Are you running capacitors?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

newtothegame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No capacitors? Wow you're lucky. Don't know about the 13 rams but my 09 would destroy the relays without running capacitors due to the pulsing signals.

OP
OP
T

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No capacitors? Wow you're lucky. Don't know about the 13 rams but my 09 would destroy the relays without running capacitors due to the pulsing signals.

Never had that issue with my 2010 either,

Knighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Installed HID's in my 2013 Sport Crew Cab 4x4. You need a capacitor before the relay to get the ballast to fire and not flicker. You will need a resistor on the factory connector for the CANBUS system to prevent the light out warning on the dash. If you buy a CANBUS HID kit you will pay more upfront but all this is built in. You can save money by building it your self. When you build your harness you will have to remember that the passenger side will not have a place for the input from the factory connector. Simply place your resistor on this connector and ground it to prevent the lights out warning. Place your Capacitor on your new harness (before the relay) so that your ballast does not flicker or not fire at all. Make sure that you have a resistor that is strong enough for your application.

Fog lights did not require the resistor's or capacitor's. I have to assume this is because there is not a pulse signal to the lights from the CANBUS system as there is on the high and low beams.