DIY: Folding Rear Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I cut 5/8" off the hooks. Very satisfied. Here's pictures:

AF1QipOfU0e4XrjpOHdpb8U2btttuGqdkYxhgjkecU8w

AF1QipNjIefllv7qikR13EW3iCZ1GGnvL0ZrjMonRDqA

AF1QipPE-xZq_tHFueZtr8UOrQShCC_JnyX__vqHSr5V

Oops! Pics not appearing. Sorry, don't have time to mess with pics. In the mean time:
If you right click on the image and select "open in new tab" the pic will appear in the new tab

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut 5/8" off the hooks. Very satisfied.

Oops! Pics not appearing. Sorry, don't have time to mess with pics. In the mean time:
If you right click on the image and select "open in new tab" the pic will appear in the new tab

Doesn't work that way either.. 404, not found..

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hopefully this works

http://www.ramforumhttp://www.ramforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90205&stc=1&d=1500663315.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90204http://www.ramforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90206&stc=1&d=1500663315&stc=1&d=1500663315

Attachments

• Rear Seat Hook-Original.jpg
    Rear Seat Hook-Original.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Rear Seat Hook-Modified-1.jpg
    Rear Seat Hook-Modified-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Rear Seat Hook-Modified-2.jpg
    Rear Seat Hook-Modified-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 272

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lots of hook left too...thanks!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

XabuJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cut my hook, and left the spacers in and it works flawlessly. While hooked it is solid and when you lift it comes right forward, no slamming, pulling hard, just a smooth operation.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I don't get how after adding spacers, you can lift the seat to unhook the backing so it folds down. How can you lift the seat when it is still bolted down. Is there enough wiggle that you can lift a little and the hooks can come out of the holes?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I don't get how after adding spacers, you can lift the seat to unhook the backing so it folds down. How can you lift the seat when it is still bolted down. Is there enough wiggle that you can lift a little and the hooks can come out of the holes?
When you lift the seat the back slides upwards just a little bit... Just enough to fold the back forwards

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Go lift your back seat and watch it raise slightly and drop back down slightly as it goes through the folding motion. The goal is to add spacers or remove hook material (or a little of both) to allow the seat back to release from the retainers on the rear cab wall when that raising motion reaches its apex...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Or what jgrub said much more succinctly.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

Here at 1:13 mark I show you as I lift my bench to drop the rear down.

ediggity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Pistol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cut mine like the pictures John Jensen posted. The only difference is I polished the cut off and tapered the inside cut a little. Works flawlessly without spacers under the seat. I actually did it before ever finding this forum.

Pixel shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good posts. Going to give this a try this weekend.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much space behind the seat does this actually give you access to? Is it really usable for something other than an audio amplifier? I might try this but I don't know if it's worth the effort if it doesn't really gain me much.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I can't process how you can lift the seat up before pulling the back rest forward when there is no play in the seat with it being bolted down.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't process how you can lift the seat up before pulling the back rest forward when there is no play in the seat with it being bolted down.
This can be best observed by watching the seat back and how it moves when you lift the seat bottom. If you watch, the seat back will raise slightly when you lift the seat bottom. Normally this raise of the seat back in the middle of the range of motion of the seat bottom does nothing (because the hooks are long enough to keep the seat back secured at all times). Trimming the hooks, or raising the whole seat assembly with spacers, allows the seat backs to come off of the hooks when the seat bottom is halfway folded up.

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How much space behind the seat does this actually give you access to? Is it really usable for something other than an audio amplifier? I might try this but I don't know if it's worth the effort if it doesn't really gain me much.

Have not done the mod yet but did build a shorty and plan to mount a truck gun in there like these guys did.
9mm AR pistol build.jpg IMG_3350.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
For the guys that did this, can one of you post a pic of the loop the hooks go into? I seen a video where a guy can unbolt that loop and flip it over maki g the hitch point lower, no cutting g of hooks or spacers needed. It was and older Ram, idk if the newer ones are welded or bolted?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye