DIY Rear Coil Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so recently i had the bilstein adjustable shocks put in and had them set at max. I felt like i had the nose up feel so I decided on a 1" tgc steel spacers for the rear. so here is the install.

First chalk front wheels. jack up the rear of the vehicle, i used the pumpkin just cause id have to use the floor jack to lower the rear axle later. I used two jackstands to support the frame and i had them on the max height to make sure i had enough clearance to drop the axle. Note: before tires are completely off the ground go ahead and loosen all your lug nuts. now remove wheels. should look like this.

9ff192e6.jpg

Now with jackstands supporting most of the rear weight lower the rear axle slightly 2-3". Now its time to remove the lower shock mounting bolts. seen here. One on each side, i think size was a 21mm.

025b2bfd.jpg

Once removed make sure the lower part of the shock is free from the axle.
now its time to take apart the sway bar end links. 18 mm i believe. in the picture its the one towards the top, closer to the bed.

b85e5212.jpg

One of those on each side and make sure the end links are free and clear of all hang ups. Now you can slowly lower the rear axle. lower it until it stops and than jack the jack up to just support it (just in case). Now remove the coil springs. dont worry they wont bite, they might be stuck in there with some rust just yank them out. this is what it should look like now.
9c1633a2.jpg

and the coil springs with the stock spacers in them.

ddc1cab0.jpg

Now in stall the spacers on the TOP side of the springs, they wont fit on the bottom side so you should be good. My TGC fit inside the stock rubber spacers so i left them in place to prevent squeeks. Seen here

15e7f5c8.jpg

Now re-install the springs with the spacers, it might be a little tricky but fit the tip in the whole (giggity) and they should slide right right in. Make sure they are seated right, Coil on the axle should be around the little hump and lift the axle back up. Reconnect shocks and end links. Now put on wheels and go ahead and tighten the lug nuts as much as you can before the wheel starts spinning. Lower vehicle to ground and the re-tighten lugs to specified torque. Remove jack and your done! Give the rear a little shimy and a listen for anything weird. Re-check lugs after 100 miles!

Before :
d40e0537.jpg

After:
229fc7d2.jpg

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
truck looks awesome

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exact set up I plan on doing. How do you like the ride quality?

that_blue_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so recently i had the bilstein adjustable shocks put in and had them set at max. I felt like i had the nose up feel so I decided on a 1" tgc steel spacers for the rear. so here is the install.

First chalk front wheels. jack up the rear of the vehicle, i used the pumpkin just cause id have to use the floor jack to lower the rear axle later. I used two jackstands to support the frame and i had them on the max height to make sure i had enough clearance to drop the axle. Note: before tires are completely off the ground go ahead and loosen all your lug nuts. now remove wheels. should look like this.

9ff192e6.jpg

Now with jackstands supporting most of the rear weight lower the rear axle slightly 2-3". Now its time to remove the lower shock mounting bolts. seen here. One on each side, i think size was a 21mm.

025b2bfd.jpg

Once removed make sure the lower part of the shock is free from the axle.
now its time to take apart the sway bar end links. 18 mm i believe. in the picture its the one towards the top, closer to the bed.

b85e5212.jpg

One of those on each side and make sure the end links are free and clear of all hang ups. Now you can slowly lower the rear axle. lower it until it stops and than jack the jack up to just support it (just in case). Now remove the coil springs. dont worry they wont bite, they might be stuck in there with some rust just yank them out. this is what it should look like now.
9c1633a2.jpg

and the coil springs with the stock spacers in them.

ddc1cab0.jpg

Now in stall the spacers on the TOP side of the springs, they wont fit on the bottom side so you should be good. My TGC fit inside the stock rubber spacers so i left them in place to prevent squeeks. Seen here

15e7f5c8.jpg

Now re-install the springs with the spacers, it might be a little tricky but fit the tip in the whole (giggity) and they should slide right right in. Make sure they are seated right, Coil on the axle should be around the little hump and lift the axle back up. Reconnect shocks and end links. Now put on wheels and go ahead and tighten the lug nuts as much as you can before the wheel starts spinning. Lower vehicle to ground and the re-tighten lugs to specified torque. Remove jack and your done! Give the rear a little shimy and a listen for anything weird. Re-check lugs after 100 miles!

Before :
d40e0537.jpg

After:
229fc7d2.jpg

Hope this isn't a stupid question... but in theory, If I just supported the frame with a jack... left the wheels and tires on and axel on ground, disconnected the sway bar end link and the rear shocks.. and then and jacked the hell outa the frame into the air would I get enought clearance to drop the rear spring out and get it back in with the 1.5" spacer on top

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hope this isn't a stupid question... but in theory, If I just supported the frame with a jack... left the wheels and tires on and axel on ground, disconnected the sway bar end link and the rear shocks.. and then and jacked the hell outa the frame into the air would I get enought clearance to drop the rear spring out and get it back in with the 1.5" spacer on top

1) you probably wont get enough clearance from most jacks to do that

2) its a heck of a lot easier to raise/lower the axle into position then it is to drop the body on the axle. you would be making it harder on yourself.

that_blue_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) you probably wont get enough clearance from most jacks to do that

2) its a heck of a lot easier to raise/lower the axle into position then it is to drop the body on the axle. you would be making it harder on yourself.

Well I just read this... after doing it lol and left the tires and rims on, took me 1hour including tool clean up and before and after picture takink. My jack is massive, I had no issue just using the jack to raise the frame up, did it one side at a time.. jack the crap out of it, spring practically fell out.. put my 1.5" spacer on top, seated it, used some good fashion elbow grease and Reefed up on it to get it fully in, lowered my jack, connected back up and done. [emoji736]

This is Bilstein 5100's set to max (stock rear end)... and then with a 3" BL..
3bc44a426c15faf5fe30069ecc76eca1.jpg

And this is just now after I added the 1.5" spacer!
41cb5ad47887c442631933a568a966da.jpg

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic write up to the OP !

Found this thread via Google (TGC Spacer Ram 1500 )

I'm about to do this same job , I'll be posting up my install as well .

To the O.P. , Thank you Sir !

Last edited:

CamdenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 BigHorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great. I'm doing a similar job over the holidays. I have a 3 front and 2 rear ready to install. I appreciate great posts like this.

345Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious, did you happen to take any measurements before and after? I'm looking to do the same build and I'm wondering what size spacers to use in the rear that will still leave me around a 1" rake with the front bils set at max.

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I know this is a older thread.
It seems that almost everyone on here is using TGC rear coil spacers. Are they better spacers?
I saw ones from Summit-performance on Ebay for $25.95 TGC wants $61.74 plus $26 for shipping. I don't mind paying the extra money if it is a get what you pay for type of thing, unless they are basically the same thing.
I have been trying to search for information on the differences and all I could find was differences between what type of material spacer can be made out of.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Top gun customz sure charges a lot for shipping

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Knock knock...anyone still here?

What about using a set of spring compressors to pull out the spring and put it back in?

Any reason that would be a dumb idea??