Electric shift 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mshaddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello all, this is my first post and question about my new to me 2012 2500 ST 4x4 6.7l diesel. Please forgive me if I missed this question elsewhere in the forum. Currently I have the shifter on the floor for my 4 wheel drive. I would like to know if it is possible to change this to the electric switch on the dash? Has anyone attempted this, or is this something I just need to leave alone and just make sure my next truck has from the factory? I have a lot of mods on the list to do, and have started some already. My goal is to take everything off the floor (cup holders, storage bin, shifter, etc.) that's in front of the front jump seat and change it to all be on the dash.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you accomplish this. I would be interested in all the goods for your floor shifter. Is your tranny shift on the column and your 4x4 on the floor?

OP
OP
M

mshaddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes, tranny on the column and 4x4 is on the floor. I would like to have the 4x4 shift knob on the dash to gain my floor space.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have a 3500 with column shifter and transfer case shifter on the floor. I would like to do this as well, but looking at it as the previous poster stated it would not be cheap or easy to do. I have to wonder why there are so many different flavor shifter combinations on these trucks anyway. What really seems stupid to me is with the console and xfer case shifter on the floor, the jumpseat is all but useless as there is no place to put your feet? WTF were they thinking?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mshaddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My thoughts exactly! Not too sure why the floor shifter is even an option anymore with all the other technology in the truck. I'll start researching this with one of the local dealers here and see what I can come up with. Sure would be nice if it was a simple fix. If I'm not mistaken the change from the factory costs only a few hundred dollars. I'm sure it will cost a little more to do after the fact. I'll keep y'all informed of my findings.

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will be shocked at what this will cost and by how many trips to the dealer are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
Agreed! I didn't get the factory back up camera which I wanted. It was a $200 option. Asked dealer for cost to have them install after the fact was told $750!!!

Parts along on eBay are around $250-300!! Mad I didn't hold out for the back up camera!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Agreed! I didn't get the factory back up camera which I wanted. It was a $200 option. Asked dealer for cost to have them install after the fact was told $750!!!

Parts along on eBay are around $250-300!! Mad I didn't hold out for the back up camera!

The OEM backup camera kit (p/n 82214240-001) is around 250.00, I paid 225.00 when I bought it, installed myself and dealer flashed it for $55.00 total cost $280.00

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/installing_oem_backup_cam-53505/

I got lucky though and not everyone will, my truck was prewired so I only needed the camera, tailgate handle and the jumper harness. Sold the rest of the kit for 75.00, final cost was $205.00

But this is not about the camera, so lets please keep this about moving the Xfer case shifter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mshaddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I didn't get a chance today to contact the stealer. Just started a new position at work, so it's like starting a new job all over again. I will have time tomorrow to start my investigation and will let y'all know what I find out.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not going to happen. The transfer case is different from the electric shift to the manual shift. I actually prefer mine on the floor because I don't have to look down when driving, I know exactly where it is and which direction to pull. It would make a big difference if there wasn't a front axle disconnect because there would be no waiting like the electronic shifting transfer case.

OP
OP
M

mshaddock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just got off the phone with the stealership, I was told it couldn't be done. As I asked a few more questions, the parts guy said I would need a new transfer case (as previously stated on this thread) and a complete new wiring harness. I could tell he didn't want to go further with any information, but I'm still gonna poke and pry the rest of the info out.