heated wheel install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

busted1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am replacing the steering wheel in my express with one that has the radio controls and is also heated. Is it ok to go ahead and hook up the plug for the heated wheel (at the wheel) even though I don't have the switch on the dash for it. I will at one point add the switch at the dash and thought I would go ahead and make the connection at the wheel while its apart.
Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I recently did the same thing but the plug for the heated element is not there. Correct me if I am wrong but to get that plug I believe you would have to replace the clock spring.

Here is a picture of the wheel without airbag, the lower left white plug needs to plug into the clock-spring, however the no heated steering wheel clockspring does not have this plug.

Heated steering wheel.jpg

If you remove the upper cowl, you will see a blue 2 cavity plug it is connected to nothing and sits in that molded socket just to stow it out of the way. I believe you have to get the upgraded clockspring that this would plug into, and that clock spring would have a pigtail that would plug into the heated steering wheel. I believe along with the clockspring the baclplate needs to be replaced as well.

See picture for blue plug
DSCN0575.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

busted1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for info. Very helpful. Who needs heat anyway. Lol.
Got the wheel done and still a great improvement.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Actually I'm sure someone will figure a way to do this, from what I have read some have already tried but I am not sure if anyone has succeed yet.

I understand we would need a new clock-spring, back plate, heated seat module and new switch bank in addition to a sales code flash or two.

I have guinnea pigged a few projects but I'm not going to on this one. I am going to sit back and see if someone else can figure it out..

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you could get all of the parts necessary pretty easy. I think the problem. Would be adding the sales code. I have been able to add some sales codes in my 14 Express and some I was not able to add. I think.it depends on weather it was an option that was available in your trim level....not sure.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know when I had my trailer brake install flashed there was no spot to put the code in for it. There was not a lot of "upgrades" that I could do to my 14 Express. Glad I waited to see that before I went and ordered a new clockspring

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Heated steering wheel install

Just wanted to say great pics and information here. I'm gathering parts to try and make this happen, I still need to find out which sales codes can (or cannot) be flashed to my 2013 Ram 2500 ST CC 4x4. I have installed the leather steering wheel with volume controls for my 8.4NAV upgrade. Camera sales code installed and waiting for a camera install to happen. Also have leather seats due to arrive soon and then will see what wiring I'll have to mod to make this work. I'll need a heated seat module for the heated/cooled seats & Heated steering wheel to work. Not sure how much other mods will need to happen:crazy: