Help Conversion not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just finished hooking everything up from the conversion harness that I made. Followed instructions to a T. I already had the 8.4 radio put in weeks ago and it was working fine.

I installed the 7sp blower resistor, HVAC mod, etc, and plugged in my new radio bezel, etc. and NOTHING>>>

I set everything on the seat before I finished to make sure it worked. I never took the radio out, just plugged in the new bezel and conversion harness.

Anyway, no power to the radio, no power to the HVAC controls. Just dead. Any suggestions??

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked your fuses? Are you saying everything worked when you had it laid out on the seats plugged up and then when you did the final install nothing worked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you checked your fuses? Are you saying everything worked when you had it laid out on the seats plugged up and then when you did the final install nothing worked?

No. I just removed the center bezel ( existing ) to hook up the 24 pin connector and 8 pin connector to see if everything would work. Dash Lights, door chime, etc. all work fine. Nothing from the radio, no HVAC bezel lights, etc. Radio doesn't even come on with the key in the ignition.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you set everything back to the way it was first does it work again? If not , check your fuse. Then double check your wiring of the conversion harness. Pin to pin checks will reveal a short or solder overlap. Not sure how proficient you are will wiring or solder so not trying to insult your intelligence here.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also if you're truck was originally a 4spd fan you need additional wiring.

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will put everything back and see if it works correctly.

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also if you're truck was originally a 4spd fan you need additional wiring.

I did do the 4sp conversion harness. Anyway, everything is back original and working fine. Radio did come on with the conversion plugged in, however it read " climate off" on the screen, so I couldn't control the climate. It's almost as if the whole HVAC system had no power.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ICON for the climate said "off"? It can be adjusted via the knob and the touch screen, neither of these worked? If you touch the screen for the climate controls there should be a button that's says "on". Touch that and see what happens.

Now that's based on all your wiring being correct and having the correct resistor:HVAC module. If somehow you mispinned the harness or one or two pins aren't all the way seated these might be all your problems. Also with the 4spd original there is a pin swap I believe that needs to be done on the existing harness of the truck for your new harness to work.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Double check you have the correct module and your pin outs. Attached the PDF for you [emoji106]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you had a 4 speed blower to start with right ?

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
yep, same module. Did the pinout as follows. I was uneasy about the instructions for the ground lug. the bolt grounded to the frame is too big for the ring terminal ( 10 gauge ). So I loosened the bolt, and put the ring terminal underneath the bolt flange, and tightened it down. The instructions were not to clear on securing the ring terminal.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You still have no radio coming on at all ?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No. he's got the radio working just no HVAC controls. Possible defective module but I would lean more towards the wiring...it's the major variable here

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi

Everything is put back to pre-conversion harness and all works like it did. I already had the upgraded 8.4an radio for several weeks now. After I made the conversion harness, I plugged everything in ( new control bezel, 24 pin harness ( radio side and control module side ) etc, all according to instructions. Then I had nothing, no radio, no fan, no bezel lights or control. When I would unplug, and plug in the control module ( 24 pin female side ), I would get the radio, but no climate control, no bezel lights, no functionality. The radio displayed climate off, but I couldn't change it

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh , sorry I should've read the whole post ... my bad ...

Well then it's basically down to process of elimination.
Imo
1) double check harness ie ring wires end to end to ensure proper placement , make sure pins are seated properly and crimped

2) try a different bezel

3) try a different Module

Hope this helps !

OP
OP
M

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
The only questionable part of the instructions I had was dealing with the ground lug. The ring terminal is too small to attach to the bolt about 6 inches above the 132A connector on the passenger side kick panel. I loosened the bolt and set the ring terminal between the bolt and the frame, and tightened it back down. The instructions weren't too clear on this part.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt the ground is the issue , but maybe ?

Hope you don't mind but I'm posting a link to the conversion thread .
Lots of great troubleshooters there .

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What R.I.K. said [emoji106]. Troubleshooting is eliminating the variables one at a time. Only bad part for you is unless you have a buddy nearby with the bezel and module might turn out to be a costly jump in of parts lol. Seriously though, check those pins for looseness and not being seated correctly. Happens to the best of us. Good luck and let us know what you find.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep 12sportmc is right on imo , the least expensive thing is to verify the harness 100%.