Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > 4th Gen DIY

4th Gen DIY

How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade

This is a discussion on How To: 13-14 premium cluster upgrade within the 4th Gen DIY forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by 00R/T Haha. At least you're on the eastern side of the country and we're not THAT far ...

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #521 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by 00R/T View Post
Haha. At least you're on the eastern side of the country and we're not THAT far apart. There's a potential we could cross paths as your state is near the top of my list of places to visit. Poor Rick is out there on the left coast away from everybody. He has his own tool now though so he's in business.
If you ever head to Tn. Just let me know , I'm about to install a premium cluster and like cptwing I'm gonna try and get compass & temp in the cluster & radio .
My truck was an RA1 Original as well , and as you know I've already struggled with the compass heading 😆

Poor RicksRam! He's a smart guy with the tool he can figure it out ha ha !
Ricks Ram and DeereGuy like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
R.L.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #522 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by R.L.K. View Post
If you ever head to Tn. Just let me know , I'm about to install a premium cluster and like cptwing I'm gonna try and get compass & temp in the cluster & radio .
My truck was an RA1 Original as well , and as you know I've already struggled with the compass heading 😆

Poor RicksRam! He's a smart guy with the tool he can figure it out ha ha !
LOL I had to buy the tool I'm out here all by myself! Fortunately my truck came with the RA2 so the temp and compass heading in the EVIC was one I didn't have to try to figure out.
R.L.K. likes this.

2014 Quad Cab Express 4x4 3:92 LSD 8 speed
32 Gallon fuel tank, Premium Cluster, RA4 Upgrade,Heated /Ventilated Seats,Heated Wheel upgrade. Power sliding rear window,Homelink, 6" BDS lift Bilstein 5100 shocks set one notch up, 20x9 Chrome fuell Hostage wheels,Toyo Open Country AT Extreme 35x12.5x20 tires.
Ricks Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #523 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummings 6.7
Cool
Originally Posted by cptwing View Post
If you toggle thru the cluster menu there is a reset to factory default option. I do have the outside temp in the cluster. The only things I do not have are the compass and temp on the radio, but that is because my truck came with the RA1. I know in my case its a BCM sales code issue, but there does not seem to exist the Fiat service world anyone with enough brain cells to know how to enable it.
I found the EVIC "return to default" mode but it didn't help. The top left or right numeric displays has 8 modes to scroll through but outside temperature or compass setting isn't one of them :-(

2013 Ram 2500 6.7 4x4 CC 68RFE 6spd auto ST 75K miles 8.4RA4 upgrade, Laramie Front bumper w/factory fogs, fog light & backup camera sales code flashed, 7" cluster upgrade, Leather steering wheel w/volume controls, functioning 2015 Tan Leather heat/cool seats, 18" Laramie mag wheels, BW Gooseneck & 5ver hitch, Edge w/Attitude, kick panel LED's installed. Wish list: USB port, fog lights functioning, backup camera install, heated steering wheel install
69mach1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #524 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine: 6.4l Hemi
Weird one?
Ok so you had outside temp and compass on both evic and radio before the swap? I know the RA1 and RA2 do not display outside temp. But all was working as it should prior to the swap?

Ok did you do anything with the side mirrors or overhead console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R.L.K. likes this.

MODS TO DATE 8.4 RA4 / COLOR MATCHED SHARK FIN ANTENNA / LED OVERHEAD CONSOLE WITH HOME LINK / 7 INCH PREMIUM CLUSTER / UPPER GLOVE BOX WITH LIGHT / CD PLAYER / HEATED LEATHER STEERING WHEEL / LARAMIE HEATED AND COOLED LEATHER SEATS /CABIN AIR FILTER / FACTORY LED FOOT LIGHTS / UNDER HOOD WORK LIGHT / BACK UP CAMERA / LED CHMSL WITH CARGO CAM / FRONT CAMERA / MIRROR CAMS / LIGHTED SUN VISOR VANITY MIRRORS
cptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #525 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummings 6.7
Cool
Originally Posted by cptwing View Post
Weird one?
Ok so you had outside temp and compass on both evic and radio before the swap? I know the RA1 and RA2 do not display outside temp. But all was working as it should prior to the swap?

Ok did you do anything with the side mirrors or overhead console?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before the swap Temp was on the EVIC and compass was on the 5.0 radio.

Now I have neither :-( Really the Temperature is the one I'd like to get back on either on the EVIC or the radio 8.4 now ;-) No messing with the mirrors or the overhead console. Also somewhere along the line my horn quit working :P

I'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere I don't know about. But I do love the leather seats

2013 Ram 2500 6.7 4x4 CC 68RFE 6spd auto ST 75K miles 8.4RA4 upgrade, Laramie Front bumper w/factory fogs, fog light & backup camera sales code flashed, 7" cluster upgrade, Leather steering wheel w/volume controls, functioning 2015 Tan Leather heat/cool seats, 18" Laramie mag wheels, BW Gooseneck & 5ver hitch, Edge w/Attitude, kick panel LED's installed. Wish list: USB port, fog lights functioning, backup camera install, heated steering wheel install
69mach1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #526 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2013 Express Flame Red
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Originally Posted by cody4130 View Post
Just like the title says

Tools needed:

1 towel or similar

T20 torx bit

9/32 or 7mm socket

Ratchet

First cover the top of your steering column with a towl to prevent scratches. Trust me the cluster is a tight fit for install and removal and you will scratch it if you don't cover it.

Second remove the 4 T20 torx screws from the top of the cluster bezel and push down lightly on the top of the bezel pushing it down about 1" releasing it from the dash. Once the top is free of the dash pull straight out on the bottom part of the bezel it is held in by two clips.

Next remove the two 9/32" bolts in the bottom corners of the cluster. These are the only things holding the cluster in place. Once they are removed rotate the passenger side of the cluster to the left. You should be able to reach behind and unplug the cluster.

Once the cluster is unplugged rotate it back around and pull it out toward the steering wheel. Then rock the bottom towards the wheel and feed the top up behind the wheel and pull it out through the top. You may need to tilt the wheel up or down and move the cluster around to find the "sweet spot". my express cluster came out easier than my premium one went in due to a slightly different shape.

Installation is the reverse of removal remember to be gentle and try not to fingerprint the lens up. Plastic cling wrap can be applied to your new cluster prior to installation to prevent unwanted fingerprints

Enjoy your new fancier cluster
I did the swap. Found it easier to remove the top steering wheel cowl first. gives much needed room and avoid touching the cluster on anything. No towel needed.
mdxers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #527 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2013 Express Flame Red
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Originally Posted by cody4130 View Post
Just like the title says

Tools needed:

1 towel or similar

T20 torx bit

9/32 or 7mm socket

Ratchet

First cover the top of your steering column with a towl to prevent scratches. Trust me the cluster is a tight fit for install and removal and you will scratch it if you don't cover it.

Second remove the 4 T20 torx screws from the top of the cluster bezel and push down lightly on the top of the bezel pushing it down about 1" releasing it from the dash. Once the top is free of the dash pull straight out on the bottom part of the bezel it is held in by two clips.

Next remove the two 9/32" bolts in the bottom corners of the cluster. These are the only things holding the cluster in place. Once they are removed rotate the passenger side of the cluster to the left. You should be able to reach behind and unplug the cluster.

Once the cluster is unplugged rotate it back around and pull it out toward the steering wheel. Then rock the bottom towards the wheel and feed the top up behind the wheel and pull it out through the top. You may need to tilt the wheel up or down and move the cluster around to find the "sweet spot". my express cluster came out easier than my premium one went in due to a slightly different shape.

Installation is the reverse of removal remember to be gentle and try not to fingerprint the lens up. Plastic cling wrap can be applied to your new cluster prior to installation to prevent unwanted fingerprints

Enjoy your new fancier cluster
I did the swap. Found it easier to remove the top steering wheel cowl first. gives much needed room and avoid touching the cluster on anything. No towel needed.
mdxers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #528 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Cummins
Completed my swap. Thank you for the info!!
R.L.K. likes this.
bullitt5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #529 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine: 6.4l Hemi
Selling a 2016 Sport cluster with 6955 miles in excellent condition.

2016 7" premium cluster
R.L.K. likes this.

MODS TO DATE 8.4 RA4 / COLOR MATCHED SHARK FIN ANTENNA / LED OVERHEAD CONSOLE WITH HOME LINK / 7 INCH PREMIUM CLUSTER / UPPER GLOVE BOX WITH LIGHT / CD PLAYER / HEATED LEATHER STEERING WHEEL / LARAMIE HEATED AND COOLED LEATHER SEATS /CABIN AIR FILTER / FACTORY LED FOOT LIGHTS / UNDER HOOD WORK LIGHT / BACK UP CAMERA / LED CHMSL WITH CARGO CAM / FRONT CAMERA / MIRROR CAMS / LIGHTED SUN VISOR VANITY MIRRORS
cptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #530 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Got my premium cluster swap done. Had Dominic at TVandNav2go.com do the correction to the hours and miles. $175 including 2 day shipping back to me. LOVE it way more than the original cluster! Def a mod worth doing!
R.L.K., Bill507 and Avgas like this.
allena is offline   Reply With Quote