How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Partial? Screw that, you should get every damn penny back. The guys that have to go back to the dealer for a reflash is even more reason to get it all back.

Trust me I agree. If I were one of their customers going through this they would have to block my number and email address because I'd be blowing their crap up. There is no excuse for releasing an untested product that could potentially brick someones $30k+. Yes, the AE tool is also capable of bricking your truck, but modifying vehicle's computer systems is not its main purpose and also clearly states doing so is at your own risk. Whereas the genie's sole purpose is to modify the computer system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Trust me I agree. If I were one of their customers going through this they would have to block my number and email address because I'd be blowing their crap up. There is no excuse for releasing an untested product that could potentially brick someones $30k+. Yes, the AE tool is also capable of bricking your truck, but modifying vehicle's computer systems is not its main purpose and also clearly states doing so is at your own risk. Whereas the genie's sole purpose is to modify the computer system.

Correct. The Genie's whole value proposition is that it is thoroughly tested and will only change what it is supposed to. You're paying for the testing, the support, and the piece-of-mind. I'm really disappointed to see this happen.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For any of you guys that are having issues - do you know anybody with a RAM that has factory ATC or maybe a dealer who would let you take a solo test drive?

If you have a Genie that gives you the single zone ATC (I guess this is the second in the two stage process), all you need to do is pop your module into a truck with working ATC. It will then work properly in your truck.

My offer to help still stand. If anyone is close to me, I know how to fix it.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i was thinking about a genie but i don't like the idea of it being one way and not being able to go back to stock either.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
i was thinking about a genie but i don't like the idea of it being one way and not being able to go back to stock either.

I'm not certain that is true. They could create a Genie that returns it to default settings. If I bail--and I'm getting close--that is what I'll request, along with a refund.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For any of you guys that are having issues - do you know anybody with a RAM that has factory ATC or maybe a dealer who would let you take a solo test drive?

If you have a Genie that gives you the single zone ATC (I guess this is the second in the two stage process), all you need to do is pop your module into a truck with working ATC. It will then work properly in your truck.

My offer to help still stand. If anyone is close to me, I know how to fix it.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean.. Is this to get it running the way it should? Buying a genie, plugging it into a factory ATC truck, then plugging it into your modified truck?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not quite sure I understand what you mean.. Is this to get it running the way it should? Buying a genie, plugging it into a factory ATC truck, then plugging it into your modified truck?

Yes. But not the Genie, the HVAC module in the dash.

The problem is that in order for the HVAC module to work in a truck that has been programmed for single zone ATC, that module must have previously been in a truck programmed for dual zone ATC.

The first way to accomplish this is to program your truck for dual ATC and then single ATC. This is what most of us with the AE have done, and what the two Genie solution should have done (except it incorrectly did dual MTC first and not ATC).

The second way is to swap modules with an ATC truck or plug yours into it for a key cycle or two and then remove it.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. But not the Genie, the HVAC module in the dash.

The problem is that in order for the HVAC module to work in a truck that has been programmed for single zone ATC, that module must have previously been in a truck programmed for dual zone ATC.

The first way to accomplish this is to program your truck for dual ATC and then single ATC. This is what most of us with the AE have done, and what the two Genie solution should have done (except it incorrectly did dual MTC first and not ATC).

The second way is to swap modules with an ATC truck or plug yours into it for a key cycle or two and then remove it.

Well that makes some sense. So if you have the genie, just find a from the factory dual zone ATC truck to plug your HVAC module into first, correct? Then everything should work correctly?

By HVAC module you mean what you adjust the temps and fan with?

When I did my 8.4 upgrade I got a dual zone bezel/control in hope I’d be able to figure out the ATC someday.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well that makes some sense. So if you have the genie, just find a from the factory dual zone ATC truck to plug your HVAC module into first, correct? Then everything should work correctly?

By HVAC module you mean what you adjust the temps and fan with?

When I did my 8.4 upgrade I got a dual zone bezel/control in hope I’d be able to figure out the ATC someday.

Yes, that's what you need to do. By module I mean the module that lives in the dash. The factory one is mounted behind the glove box. If you converted from an RA1 or RA2 it'll depend on where you ended up mounting it (short vs long harness)

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that's what you need to do. By module I mean the module that lives in the dash. The factory one is mounted behind the glove box. If you converted from an RA1 or RA2 it'll depend on where you ended up mounting it (short vs long harness)

Ok, perfect, I mounted mine on the right side of the dash. Think I was a long harness.

To reiterate what R/T has said, is there anyone out there that could confirm this fix with there Genie and a factory ATC truck??

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I can get access to a truck, just don't have the Genie.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A module from a scrapped truck with ATC would work too, if you have a junkyard near you with one.

CDN WS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, so I opened my obdgenie package and it came with two genies with one labelled "use first and another stating "use second ". Is this an updated version or what they have been shipping from day one?

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updated, but from what I gather, the first one isnt programmed correctly, so it won't work until they fix it and send an updated "stage 1" genie.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, so I opened my obdgenie package and it came with two genies with one labelled "use first and another stating "use second ". Is this an updated version or what they have been shipping from day one?

The original was only one. You have something after they figured out they were wrong the first time.

But who knows if that will work.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wanna say I bought mine used, but cant be sure.

Even if you did, it's been "tainted" by your truck now. It can't be in an MTC truck in between or it will revert.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Even if you did, it's been "tainted" by your truck now. It can't be in an MTC truck in between or it will revert.

I received two as well the first one set at dual zone with both slides and rear controls. Picture attached. The second change to single zone something but nothing works on mine using the second genie. If you have AC that works I would suggest not using until they figure it out. I am still waiting for an answer. Anyone from infotainment listening?

@infotainment.com

d39542ea14de97b93f74191094a48a7b.jpg

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I received two as well the first one set at dual zone with both slides and rear controls. Picture attached. The second change to single zone something but nothing works on mine using the second genie. If you have AC that works I would suggest not using until they figure it out. I am still waiting for an answer. Anyone from infotainment listening?

@infotainment.com

d39542ea14de97b93f74191094a48a7b.jpg

Yeah, they struck out again with that. The first one should be "dual zone ATC", but you have "dual zone MTC + rear". The second one is probably right, but it's not going to matter unless they get you the right first one or your module is coming from an ATC truck.

obdgenie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hey guys

I think I figured it out today. We got a RAM in here to play with. I have everything working but this truck doesn’t have the Auto Temp Sensor. So AUTO doesn’t work but all the hard buttons and on the screen buttons work. Gonna get another truck in here in the morning with Auto Temp Sensor and then use this genie to flash it and hopefully we will be fully good on the ATC genie tomorrow. Thanks for your patients guys.