How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STecoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Crew Cab Tradesman
Engine
3.0L Diesel
It being grayed out on the screen concerns me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
supposedly I do but I've been baffled on how to turn them on/off. It didn't get frosty last winter to need them so I didn't spend time trying to figure them out.

#5 on both pictures turns on your heated mirrors....

Attachments

• heated mirrors.jpg
    heated mirrors.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 80

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
#5 on both pictures turns on your heated mirrors....

ah-HA! I just checked truck. It does have the buttons and they do work and the one on the display is lit.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
This is what I'm used to seeing. Both work.
https://youtu.be/yMT2zC25UHQ

I don't know how the auto mode is supposed to work, but when you click "auto" the AC lights go out. AC still works. When I click the other buttons they work. I'll do a video later to show that. Again - I'm assuming that is how it is supposed to work.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know how the auto mode is supposed to work, but when you click "auto" the AC lights go out. AC still works. When I click the other buttons they work. I'll do a video later to show that. Again - I'm assuming that is how it is supposed to work.

If you watch the video that infotainment posted the AC light is on but then turns off when he switches to AUTO mode.... Maybe the light only comes on when the temp sensor indicates a need for the AC??? Need to verify with a OEM setup to verify I'd guess.

Or maybe it's off so that the damn thing isn't continuously blinking on/off all the time.....

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
If you watch the video that infotainment posted the AC light is on but then turns off when he switches to AUTO mode.... Maybe the light only comes on when the temp sensor indicates a need for the AC??? Need to verify with a OEM setup to verify I'd guess.

Or maybe it's off so that the damn thing isn't continuously blinking on/off all the time.....

that is true, the AC lights turn off. However the AC continues to work. The fan changes as needed but the light stays off until you put it back in auto mode. It would be nice to see what the factory versions do, but I'll bet they are the same.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's my understanding that the AC lights completely go off when in auto mode on all trucks whether factory equipped or converted.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's my understanding that the AC lights completely go off when in auto mode on all trucks whether factory equipped or converted.

Yes the AC light should be off. This is how all the trucks I have on my lot operate as well. The truck will determine the need for the a/c compressor based on temp requested. If you change the fan speed or take out of auto the light will illuminate. I have 4 laramies here on the lot 1500 and 2500 as well my fathers power wagon all operate this way.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So mine still shows 2 sliders. I shut it off/on a few times with 3-5 minutes in between a few times and still nothing. It was 104 degrees so I gave up til tomorrow.

Rut, your switch to single zone first try?

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
So mine still shows 2 sliders. I shut it off/on a few times with 3-5 minutes in between a few times and still nothing. It was 104 degrees so I gave up til tomorrow.

Rut, your switch to single zone first try?

it took me two tries for the second Genie. Be sure to wait 1-2 min after turning off the truck and opening the door after each flash

obdgenie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If you cycle the car on and off 2x with 1-2 min in between it will work no need to do the genie again. Radio needs to be reset and sometimes takes 2x to get it to.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the AC light should be off. This is how all the trucks I have on my lot operate as well. The truck will determine the need for the a/c compressor based on temp requested. If you change the fan speed or take out of auto the light will illuminate. I have 4 laramies here on the lot 1500 and 2500 as well my fathers power wagon all operate this way.

Correct. The A/C light doesn't indicate the compressor is running but rather that you manually requested A/C. You also won't have the front defrost light on even though it goes to defrost when you put it on auto in the winter.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there such a thing as waiting too long? I definitely waited more than two minutes earlier, and I just went out again after a couple of hours and it’s still in dual mode.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is there such a thing as waiting too long? I definitely waited more than two minutes earlier, and I just went out again after a couple of hours and it’s still in dual mode.

No. The truck will just stay in the current state until the next flash.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So am I ok plugging the #2 genie in a second time to try again?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam