How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Great work tracking the problem down.
I'm curious how OBD Genie didn't catch this problem? They make no mention of having to add a humidity sensor.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great work tracking the problem down.
I'm curious how OBD Genie didn't catch this problem? They make no mention of having to add a humidity sensor.
OBD Genie simply jumped on the bandwagon when the mod was figured out by M2mods and others.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OBD Genie simply jumped on the bandwagon when the mod was figured out by M2mods and others.

I debating selling my set up, I have the harness from M2Mods, temp sensor and the OBD Genie(nothing has been installed) or wait till M2 comes up with a harness for the humidity sensor.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I debating selling my set up, I have the harness from M2Mods, temp sensor and the OBD Genie(nothing has been installed) or wait till M2 comes up with a harness for the humidity sensor.
I tested my system today under every possible parameter I could think of and it seems to function perfectly now. It is not hard hook up the humidity sensor and I'm sure whatever harness M2mods comes up with will be practical and easy to install. This is absolutely one of my favorite mods and you get spoiled to it really quick. You set your temperature where you want it and you forget about it. If you have remote start it automatically turns on your heater in the winter and your air conditioning in the summer. I mainly wanted to fix it because I can't stand when something doesn't function properly and I do like to run my vent sometimes in the springtime to save on wear and tear on the system. Highly recommend you keep your stuff and install the ATC mod I promise you won't regret it if you do.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just out of curiosity do the solar sensor faults still exist ?
The last time I checked the solar sensor faults were still present but sometimes it takes a while for them to go away. I will try to check again tomorrow

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I tested my system today under every possible parameter I could think of and it seems to function perfectly now. It is not hard hook up the humidity sensor and I'm sure whatever harness M2mods comes up with will be practical and easy to install.

If you were close enough I'd buy you a beer or two for all your testing and sharing the results. I'm the same way, I like things to work right, sort of why I was having second thoughts on installing.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you were close enough I'd buy you a beer or two for all your testing and sharing the results. I'm the same way, I like things to work right, sort of why I was having second thoughts on installing.
Lol it was definitely a group effort and a lot of behind-the-scenes communication back and forth. It just so happened that STecoD and I both had trucks that were affected so we could do the testing, that being said if I lived close enough I'd definitely take you up on it! Definitely do not hesitate to install it now. As I stated it works perfectly and it is extremely nice to have.

Devildog8791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All I have is the harness, but when they get this figured out, I'll get everything else and get it installed.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been wanting to do this mod for a while so once M2mods gets everything sorted out I'll be doing it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I got the new mirror harness installed today. It's kind of a pain to get it out but if you take your time it's doable. To anyone considering just replacing the mirror harness and pinning the ignition on run wire to the harness you'll need to disconnect the battery. Remove the end dash cover to access the harness so you can disconnect it. You can easily access it by simply opening the passenger side door and then gently pry the dash cover out and it should pop off. Also remove both sun visors plus the brackets that hold them. You will need to remove the driver and passenger side A-pillars as well. They are simple to remove. Just pop open the little bolt covers and remove the two 10 mm screws holding them in and just pull the covers straight off. You will also need to remove the passenger side B pillar which is a little bit more difficult. To remove it you need first move the seat foward to get access. Take the cover off the seat belt anchor by gently prying around the top and it easily pops off. Get the correct size Torx bit and remove the bolt. The seat belt bolt locktited in and it requires quite a bit of force to get it to break loose. Gently pry open the two bolt cover tabs near the grab handle and remove the two 10 mm bolts. You will need to remove the driver side kick plate and then remove the black trim piece on the bottom of the B-pillar by gently popping It off. You remove the upper B-pillar cover by gently prying on it near the bottom where you can see the retaining tabs hold it in. Once you pop the bottom loose simply pull out and down and it will slide out. Gently pull back the rubber molding on the headliner on the driver side to approximately the back of the driver's door and then gently Slide the headliner out on the passenger side of the rubber molding all of the way to the back of the back door so the headliner will hang down far enough to get in to the mirror harness. Be careful not to pull too hard on the headliner as you will crease it. Be gentle. Once you have the headliner down far enough you can see where the mirror harness connects to the inside of your roof you can access it with a pair of angle pliers to pop out the retaining tabs and then reinstall your new harness in the same mounting holes. To remove your rear view mirror simply turn it counter clockwise and it will pop off. I decided to install my sensor wedged between the headliner and the glass. It's not noticeable at all on the inside of the truck and you cannot see it from the outside of the truck at all. I am thinking it's most likely mounted approximately the same distance from the windshield as the factory setup so I am thinking it may actually have some functionality. I am sure M2mods will have a version that is much easier to install but this would also be an alternative. I drove the truck today and went through every function and every mode I cold think of and it seems to work exactly as it should. 0df8ab0428656f7de8d96386c731915d.jpg

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wow there is a lot of knowledge out there. Thanks all for your help, research and testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Wow. That's impressing.
Now I'm waiting for a harness.

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Unbelievable, I just went trough my box of spare parts and found the rear view mirror that I wanted to use for auto hi beam mod, an it looks like it has the plug for the humidity sensor:)
Now, I'm definitely doing this mod.

Thank you guys a LOT!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m waiting on the harness as well and the bugs worked out with flashing the 8.4 to accept ATC! Only step I have done is I have the temperature sensor installed and ready.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I’m waiting on the harness as well and the bugs worked out with flashing the 8.4 to accept ATC! Only step I have done is I have the temperature sensor installed and ready.

Don't you have a 13 ram?
If so there's nothing you need to wait for regarding adding the ATC Sensor since the humidity sensor issue only affects 14+ ram1500's (ie w/variable displacement compressor). All 2013 rams & all 2500/3500's have the fixed compressor.

M² Mods.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes my truck is a 2013 model. I think what I’m waiting for on the ATC is the bugs worked out on flashing the radio.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that we have the alphaOBD set up if you wanted to purchase the app it works fine to install the correct codes for the ATC. All you do is set the Dual Zone ATC control and then go back out then go back in and set the single zone ATC control and you're done. Ghost-Ram I was able to set his with the tool with zero issues. Also as Mpgrimm2 stated since your truck is a 2013 and does not have the variable rate compressor you don't need to install the humidity sensor or any of that wiring.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now that we have the alphaOBD set up if you wanted to purchase the app it works fine to install the correct codes for the ATC. All you do is set the Dual Zone ATC control and then go back out then go back in and set the single zone ATC control and you're done. Ghost-Ram I was able to set his with the tool with zero issues. Also as Mpgrimm2 stated since your truck is a 2013 and does not have the variable rate compressor you don't need to install the humidity sensor or any of that wiring.

I’m very interested. It doesn’t look iPhone or iPad friendly though unless I just overlooked it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963