How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But yea the $200 price for the genie is obvious taking advantage of being a monopoly and charging double the reasonable cost. Because where else can they go. I hate dishonest people and dishonest companys like that. That's not what the forums are supposed to be about.

Sorry you do not like our pricing, but we have no plans at the moment of changing it. Some of our Genies can do stuff the AE cant do so why should the price not reflect that?

we cant buy just the auto temp harness? What makes your conversion harnesses different that everybody else that they have made? You said we have to buy a whole new conversion harness too from you?

Our HVAC harness from the get go was designed to incorporate the ATC Temperature sensor, thus designing the pigtail for the sensor only to plug into our harness.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The corruption actually occurs in the body control module. The radio seems to read the vehicle brand to determine what logo and themes to display. You can connect to the Media center module and set the logo back to RAM and get the themes and logos back. As far as turning the setting back off, it seems to be a one way street. Once it's corrupted, there's no way to fix it with the AE tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. So if I understand correctly, I can turn the Ram theme back on using the AE tool. Is there any other side effects that remain? I'm not someone who frequently changes my theme (in my other vehicles, I pretty much set it and forget it), so if I can manually set the theme with the tool, that won't be a major issue for me. Just trying to figure out if there is anything else I need to be aware of.

I really appreciate the support of this forum. It has allowed me to personalize my truck and add features I wouldn't have otherwise had.

Nick

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. So if I understand correctly, I can turn the Ram theme back on using the AE tool. Is there any other side effects that remain? I'm not someone who frequently changes my theme (in my other vehicles, I pretty much set it and forget it), so if I can manually set the theme with the tool, that won't be a major issue for me. Just trying to figure out if there is anything else I need to be aware of.

I really appreciate the support of this forum. It has allowed me to personalize my truck and add features I wouldn't have otherwise had.

Nick
The Ramforum.com is awesome ! I certinly agree !

I change my themes pretty regular , but I do have a favorite that I'd be cool with all the time ( the Ram Head kinda greyed out ) you know the one ...my RA4 8.4NA a 15 model.

As for any other side effects ...M2Mods has only recently come out with this mod ...patients my friend . I believe time will answer your Q's ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nick

I Also added the code and lost my themes and my splash screen. I manually set it back using the media settings with my AE tool and everything is back to normal. I have my themes and my splash screen. I have had it for two or three months and I have seen no other I'll affects. Remember it does corrupt your vehicle brand in your settings. Using the Media settings is just another way of changing it back.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
So you have a work around to get the themes back? Any other issues you know of? I reeeaaally like the thought of ATC! :naughty:
Thanks again for the work you guys are doing :favorites13:

The corruption actually occurs in the body control module. The radio seems to read the vehicle brand to determine what logo and themes to display. You can connect to the Media center module and set the logo back to RAM and get the themes and logos back. As far as turning the setting back off, it seems to be a one way street. Once it's corrupted, there's no way to fix it with the AE tool.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I am a little confused here. My truck already has the 8.4n from the factory. Who makes the harness and where could I get one? Is from the M2 guys? I only ask as it mentions about plugging into their harness. I'll pay for the programmer from infotainment. Adding customtronix RAS and have already added heath seats and steering wheel.

As for the mod that was done to add the Auto button to an existing single zone panel. IS the temp dial a separate piece on the rear of the panel? If so I will play with that. It's been a while since I had mine off and looked at it.

Anyway, thanks for figuring this out and approciate any help.

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We are working with a member who has a 8.4 MTC from the factory now. We will most likely be offering an adapter cable in the near future for these trucks. If your interested in trying it out shoot me a pm.

As for the modification to the panel, I really can't answer that question as I didn't do it. CuylerTech said that @00R/T did it, so maybe he can comment.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
We are working with a member who has a 8.4 MTC from the factory now. We will most likely be offering an adapter cable in the near future for these trucks. If your interested in trying it out shoot me a pm.

As for the modification to the panel, I really can't answer that question as I didn't do it. CuylerTech said that @00R/T did it, so maybe he can comment.

I've done it also, but requires a decent amount of SMD soldering/ unsoldering.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
As for the mod that was done to add the Auto button to an existing single zone panel. IS the temp dial a separate piece on the rear of the panel? If so I will play with that. It's been a while since I had mine off and looked at it.

I recently got my hands on some damaged ATC and MTC bezels and will be attempting the MTC with auto button combo in the future. We called SMD (surface mount device) repair "micro-min" in the Navy. It's all about the correct tools and patience, but still a PiTa.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently got my hands on some damaged ATC and MTC bezels and will be attempting the MTC with auto button combo in the future. We called SMD (surface mount device) repair "micro-min" in the Navy. It's all about the correct tools and patience, but still a PiTa.

SMD sucks so hard to replace and repair, but with stead hands and proper tools it makes life easier.

Wait, Im the guy with the factory setup trying to add auto!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, I'm the one who made the custom bezel. The PCBs are the same for both styles, so I was hoping the behavior was dictated by 0 ohm resistors or some other build option. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and instead it looks like the firmware is different.

Since the bezel we want is a subset of the functionality of the dual zone bezel, that's the one you want to start with.

I cut the traces for the temperature buttons and rerouted them so they'd be in the correct locations. Then I also had to swap the LEDs and the corresponding current limiting resistors so the buttons would light up the correct color. Finally, I reassembled everything using the temperature button overlay from a single zone bezel.

There aren't that many changes to make, but you have to be capable of reworking a PCB with very small SMD components. The resistors on the switches are 0603, I believe.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I'm the one who made the custom bezel. The PCBs are the same for both styles, so I was hoping the behavior was dictated by 0 ohm resistors or some other build option. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and instead it looks like the firmware is different.

Since the bezel we want is a subset of the functionality of the dual zone bezel, that's the one you want to start with.

I cut the traces for the temperature buttons and rerouted them so they'd be in the correct locations. Then I also had to swap the LEDs and the corresponding current limiting resistors so the buttons would light up the correct color. Finally, I reassembled everything using the temperature button overlay from a single zone bezel.

There aren't that many changes to make, but you have to be capable of reworking a PCB with very small SMD components. The resistors on the switches are 0603, I believe.
LOL !

Child's play. ..damn Embedded Software Engineers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wargz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those of us with the factory installed 8.4 with manual HVAC system,is the wiring is still the same?

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For those of us with the factory installed 8.4 with manual HVAC system,is the wiring is still the same?

It looks like the wiring is the same as those of us who has converted. The module also seems to be the same or cross reference. I have an ATC adapter harness on the way to WilliamS to try it out in a factory 8.4 MTC truck.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It looks like the wiring is the same as those of us who has converted. The module also seems to be the same or cross reference. I have an ATC adapter harness on the way to WilliamS to try it out in a factory 8.4 MTC truck.

Please let us know. That is what I am looking for.

00R/T - thanks for the info. I can do that re-wiring of the PCB as you mentioned but for me it's not really worth it. I am kind of used to using the display for certain functions from driving around my wife's Grand Cherokee. It doesn't have a lot of the hard buttons like the Ram so you have to use the display to set things.

One question I do have. Once you do the mod, are you able to change the temp through a voice command like in trucks that have the auto mode from the factory?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One question I do have. Once you do the mod, are you able to change the temp through a voice command like in trucks that have the auto mode from the factory?[/QUOTE]

Yes the voice commands work with the mod.

wargz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great, please let us know how that works out. Also Deereguy do you make the harnesses?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Great, please let us know how that works out. Also Deereguy do you make the harnesses?
Yes. DeereGuy and I (M² Mods) can make you an 8.4 conversion harness with ATC. See the M² Mods thread and/or pm me for details/contact info.

However, since you have a factory 8.4 w/o ATC that will be a different situation. We are awaiting feedback from one of our testers before we move forward with that option.

Last edited: