How to Add Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) to a Manual Temperature Control Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2014 Bighorn 2500 with the factory 8.4 Nav. Want to do the ATC upgrade. I believe that I need from reading this

1. Temp sensor
2. Harness
3. A way to program (I have the AlfaOBD)

I believe that I do NOT need the humidity harness and sensor. Am I correct?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Bighorn 2500 with the factory 8.4 Nav. Want to do the ATC upgrade. I believe that I need from reading this

1. Temp sensor
2. Harness
3. A way to program (I have the AlfaOBD)

I believe that I do NOT need the humidity harness and sensor. Am I correct?
You are correct. The 2500/3500 trucks do not require the Humidity Sensor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've read through this a few times and I am getting ready to order the parts, the harness is on the way. I just wanted to verify that the part numbers I found in here have not changed for a 2017
55111178AC Temp Sensor
55111389AF Humidity Sensor

Thanks!!

Mrmagoolin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did this mod and the harness was all ready in the truck. I ordered one and did not need it. Check for a small black four pin connector right by where the sensor goes. All I needed was the temp sensor. I have a 2014 Bighorn 2500 ccsb. Came with just single MTC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did this mod and the harness was all ready in the truck. I ordered one and did not need it. Check for a small black four pin connector right by where the sensor goes. All I needed was the temp sensor. I have a 2014 Bighorn 2500 ccsb. Came with just single MTC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I too have a 2014 2500 Bighorn and I see the black 4 pin connector behind the knee panel. All you did was add/connect the temp sensor and programmed with AlphaOBD to get the single zone ATC to work?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have a 2014 2500 Bighorn and I see the black 4 pin connector behind the knee panel. All you did was add/connect the temp sensor and programmed with AlphaOBD to get the single zone ATC to work?
Sorry not trying to hijack but yes. Since your truck is a 2500 the interior temp sensor is all you need plus the code. Make sure you set it to Dual Zone ATC first and make sure to code is set by checking your climate screen. Once the code is set to the Dual Zone you can then program the Single Zone ATC.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry not trying to hijack but yes. Since your truck is a 2500 the interior temp sensor is all you need plus the code. Make sure you set it to Dual Zone ATC first and make sure to code is set by checking your climate screen. Once the code is set to the Dual Zone you can then program the Single Zone ATC.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't used the AlphaOBD yet, just got my OBDLink MX today but have read a lot about it. So after I set the Dual Zone exit out and wait for it to set then go back and set Single Zone?

Also, to actually get Dual Zone to work I would need a new dash with the correct hvac/plenum?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply! I haven't used the AlphaOBD yet, just got my OBDLink MX today but have read a lot about it. So after I set the Dual Zone exit out and wait for it to set then go back and set Single Zone?

Also, to actually get Dual Zone to work I would need a new dash with the correct hvac/plenum?
Yes set the dual zone ATC and then the single zone ATC. To actually have the dual zone function you would need to replace the entire HVAC system.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes set the dual zone ATC and then the single zone ATC. To actually have the dual zone function you would need to replace the entire HVAC system.

Got it....thanks

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I changed mine to ATC I did the dual zone first then waited, and waited, and waited. I confirmed the change was done in the BCM and let it sit overnight. Still didn’t come up as dual zone ATC so I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. When I reconnected the battery and let everything start up the dual zone ATC showed up. Then I changed to single zone ATC and cycled the ignition and door. When I turned the key back on the system came up as single zone ATC. I have had no issues with it since.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Mpgrimm2
Are you guys still doing the circuit board upgrade for the single ATC?
I have a 2016 BigHorn CC 2500 CTD.
All wiring is in place and I've ordered the temp sensor. Have Alfa obd ready to go. I prefer to use my buttons over soft keys so want all of them to work correctly.
Thanks

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Mpgrimm2
Are you guys still doing the circuit board upgrade for the single ATC?
I have a 2016 BigHorn CC 2500 CTD.
All wiring is in place and I've ordered the temp sensor. Have Alfa obd ready to go. I prefer to use my buttons over soft keys so want all of them to work correctly.
Thanks
Yes. I will pm you my contact info shortly.

M² Mods.

cclark019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys just wondering if anyone else has this issue, I have added the temp sensor to my 2018 1500 Bighorn and used Alfa OBD to enable dual zone ATC then single zone ATC. However I still see the rear defrost button flashing at startup and have a code stored for the passenger side blend door. Is this normal?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys just wondering if anyone else has this issue, I have added the temp sensor to my 2018 1500 Bighorn and used Alfa OBD to enable dual zone ATC then single zone ATC. However I still see the rear defrost button flashing at startup and have a code stored for the passenger side blend door. Is this normal?

Thanks

I had that issue when I changed mine from MTC to single zone ATC. Use alfaobd to clear the code out of the HVAC module, wait a half hour and then try it again. The rear defrost shouldn't be flashing.

I found if I didn't let the truck sit for hours after I changed from Dual Zone ATC to Single Zone ATC it would throw that code and the modes wouldn't work right.

cclark019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that issue when I changed mine from MTC to single zone ATC. Use alfaobd to clear the code out of the HVAC module, wait a half hour and then try it again. The rear defrost shouldn't be flashing.

I found if I didn't let the truck sit for hours after I changed from Dual Zone ATC to Single Zone ATC it would throw that code and the modes wouldn't work right.

Thank you for the help. I guess I didn’t wait long enough between confit changes.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Silly question but what screws are you guys using to mount the temp sensor?