How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Finally installed the console in my Express. Here is a run down for all who are interested in this mod.

I decided to keep it simple and cheap with just the basic console, map lights only.

Your going to need the following parts:

Console retainer: 55365119AC
6993-55365119ac-console-retainer.jpg

Overhead Console: 1PQ03BD1AA
6992-1pq03bd1aa-basic-console.jpg

3 pin connector pinout: 68064999AA
6991-68064999aa-3-pin-connector.jpg

**Remember, these parts are for the basic no frills console. If you want to add options you will need different consoles.

Garage Opener ONLY Console: 1PQ06BD1AA
Garage Door and Rear Slider Console: 1PQ09BD1AA
Sorry, I don't have the part numbers for the Sunroof control.

If you want to add the Compass Module: 56046062AC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
Start by removing the A-piller covers and sun visors. This will allow you to get the headliner down enough to get the retainer in. It is secured with the sun visor clips.
You will have to remove the two small black clip brackets. The retainer bracket replaces them.
6996-replace-retainer.jpg

Then remove the headlight switch panel and the left side panel. These just pop out. Behind these you will see a green connector. Removing the left side panel of the dash gives you all the access you will need for the next steps.
6994-green-plug.jpg

This plug is where the overhead light wires and constant power you need. The middle bottom three pins. Middle one of the three is where you need to tap.
6995-bottom-center-3.jpg

Black/Tan is ground
Yellow/white is overhead light (allows console to work with doors)
Yellow/Lt Blue is Map constant power (this is what you need to tap.
Just pop off the inner white retainer on the green plug and use one of the connectors with the pin-out kit and push it into the green plug. Then snap the white retainer back in.
6999-wiring.jpg

This is how you wire the pin-out for the console.
I tapped the stock overhead light wires at the base of the A-piller for ground and door/switch power. When you take it apart you see a good spot. Same Yellow/White and Black/Tan wires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
I made a harness and ran it up the A-piller taped along side the OH light wires and then along the inside front of the headliner. Be sure to tape it down to prevent any rattles.

Now the fun part, cutting the headliner.
I made a couple paper templates to help me judge how far to cut.
6997-template.jpg

Start with a small hole in the middle and work your way out slowly
Use the templates and keep test fitting as you go. Cut just enough. (sorry no pics, I was on a roll at this point)

Run your harness through the retainer, tape it down, plug it into the console and snap it in.
6998-installed.jpg

I removed the outer part of the console to make sure everything was lined up and run correctly.

Bolt everything together, step back and enjoy your new lights!
7000-console-complete.jpg

Last edited:

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing as I'm sure others will find value in these instructions.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Great writeup. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. The install looks factory.

D33k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the DIY, been wanting to do this but might add a compass or garage door clicker option as well.

express20122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
side show thanks for this write up i have been down the same road with wrong consoles just ordered another today and see it is the one you have so i finally can get this done with all of your info i am relieved. i was wondering do the wires that come in the kit go into the green connector then you add on or is the harness long enough to go from console to plug? also did you hook up the green led if so what do you tap for that? thanks again

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
My harness is about four feet of three wires twisted together with a drill. I spliced it to the three orange wires from the kit and snapped them into the console plug from the kit. The other end I tapped into the OH light for door power and ground and ran the constant power wire to the other kit wire I added to the green plug.

I'll pop off the A-Piller cover and get some pics of the harness if you want.

Decided not to run the LED for now.

express20122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes the more pictures the better went to pick up harness today wrong so i ordered the pin out kit you have listed i have been wanting to get this thing installed does the pin out kit come with plug to wire it i would like to hook up both lights so everything works were would i ta that into i suppose something with power when headlamps are on maybe headlamp switch i dont want to cut to much factory wiring can i get all lights working with the pin out kit i really appreciatte your help

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
what is the point of the led anyways? my consoles came in and i don't see a reason for that led with no option?

Khimson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you cut the hole, what type of tool/blade. Got any pictures of what it looks like after the hole was cut?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i used a snap knife. just cut in the center and work your way out. mine is in and works, just need to tap the constant and its done. got about 2 hrs in the total install
photo4-2.jpg

Last edited:

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
thanks! your instructions were spot on!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you know how much harder it would be to do the garage door opener. And thanks for the write up.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Sideshow

Sideshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Rubicon 2D
Engine
Pentastar
You would have to get the module and the plug kit then tap power.
The module is also backlit so you would need to tap into the headlight circuit. (If you want back lit buttons) there might be a pin-out in the green plug but I never tested for it.
I don't have the part number for the module but I remember it being like $160.
The console part numbers are on page 1.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Awesome thank you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members