How to aim your headlights - 4th Gen Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After dropping in MaxLux HID's into my lows (quad lamps) I noticed that it appeared the factory had set my lights for RHD!!! Left headlamp is about 6" higher than the right at 10'. Gonna have to adjust these bad larrys now that I know where the adjuster is.

My drop in fogs tend to bounce around over bumps a little, haven't been bothered enough to look yet lol

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how high they should be off from the ground at say 25 ft away? My truck is stock. My driver's side one is much higher than the passenger's side. It doesn't seem right to me.

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how high they should be off from the ground at say 25 ft away? My truck is stock. My driver's side one is much higher than the passenger's side. It doesn't seem right to me.

Isn't it supposed to be 2 inches lower every 25 feet. So measure it up close to a wall then back up 25 feet and set them 2 inches lower then your first measurement.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pass side should be lower than drivers side by about an inch at 10 feet. Set the pass side to just below level at 25, then pull up and bring the drivers down just below that.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm wondering if the holes for the adjusters are different on 2010's and the 13+. NO adjuster lining up in my whole. I guess I'm going to have to remove mine to adjust, because right now the light output is at the ground in front of the truck and mostly useless.

But I can visually see the adjustment hole doesn't line up if retrofiting 13+ onto an earlier one.

AdirondackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I installed HIDS from retroshop today! they're fantastic! I highly recommend them! The output in the stock projector housing is way better than the normal bulb, but after a drive tonight the right projector was a little lower than the left projector, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416100558.741166.jpg So, I went in and adjusted it and as I was twisting to get it level I heard a "Pop" and the projector fell all the way down, now it was pointing directly in front of the truck, so, stupidly, I went to the left projector and tried to adjust it and the same thing happened, it "popped".. So now both headlights are all the way down, but hey, at least they're level with each other! Lolol! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416100766.524802.jpg Anyway, how do I fix this, I really don't want to open the back of the projector with the HID kit in there but if I have to I will, can someone explain to me what I need to do to fix this... Lol, at least I have HIDS now... Hahaha!

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just the info I'm looking for, leveled my truck and need to set the lights right.

Figured something was wrong when traffic flashed a few times.

Crazy4info

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just the info I'm looking for, leveled my truck and need to set the lights right.

Figured something was wrong when traffic flashed a few times.

Just drove mine home after the level last night. Got flashed a few times. Time for me to do this as well.

Gregbj33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry for raising this thread from the dead but what are the normal increments for adjustment? Like 1/4turn or 3 turns at a time? just for general guidance...

Can anyone answer this? Id like to raise mine just a bit, will like 1/2 turn or 1 full turn make an adjustment?

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whoa!! theres an adjustment screw. on my 2015, the weird thing my lights bolt into is what I thought was the vertical adjustment... or do both work??

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to adjust mine ASAP, installed hids in December into my factory projectors and I thought I was good until a recent night road trip on a stretch of shared hwy. I got flashed 3-4 times out of maybe 60 cars I passed head one, felt like an ass.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Ok I got my lights aimed perfectly on low beam.....but when I switch to high beams the passenger side looks as if it is aimed at the ground..... What would be causing this with the dual headlight system?

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to do this too...but the one advantage of having the lights up higher now after my leveling kit is...even UNMARKED Police cars show up very well from a distance since they are often 2 toned and the POLICE is reflective paint LOL

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
When I get my 2016 2500 HD Laramie CC 4x4 Lwb. What head lamps do I need to put in it if I want LED Type?

freshane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Projector lights from factory are badly adjusted. Good info I'll have to use this once I get HIDs

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
finally, i need to do this cause i get flashed by 50% of the cars i pass out on these dark texas roads

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Adjusted mine today they look even in the garage but when I putlled out of the garage and backed up in the driveway the whole damn garage t was lit hope they are not too high. Will know when the Sun Goes Down.

I got my 7 millimeter with the extension ready but I did mine using a Phillips screwdriver

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Here's my method: be on a flat surface 25 feet from the wall. Turn on your headlights. Take a tape measure from the ground up and see where your lights are brightest a few inches from the bumper. Go to the wall and put a piece of masking tape 1-2 inches lower than the light height at the truck. Aim away until the brightest spot is lined up with the tape.

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Here's my method: be on a flat surface 25 feet from the wall. Turn on your headlights. Take a tape measure from the ground up and see where your lights are brightest a few inches from the bumper. Go to the wall and put a piece of masking tape 1-2 inches lower than the light height at the truck. Aim away until the brightest spot is lined up with the tape.

Will try that method, I went WAY to high. Heck, I could see bats in the trees when I took a spin at dark this evening. LOL