How to: Fix Puddle Lights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After months of just creepin the site, I thought I should contribute something. So, after 3 months I finally managed to get my truck some room in the shop, and decided to fix my puddle lights. Mine, like many others, had become full of water and had gotten wrecked. I figured since I was doing it, I might as well tell you guys what i did in case anyone else wants to fix theirs as well. (Sorry, no pics)

To start, I ordered a set of COB led strips off of superbrightleds, as well as a set of 3" amber led strips from Wal-Mart.

Using instructions I found on another thread, I disassembled the mirror and took out the puddle light assembly. Can't find the link for the instructions on taking the mirrors apart. The puddle lights just pry apart with light force. Once open, there is a chromed plastic piece on top of a printed circuit board thing that the old LEDs are attached to. I ripped everything out. Once I had all the old garbage out, I cleaned out the water, mud, corrsosion and old glue off of both pieces. I then stuck on the puddle lights and signal lights onto the black plastic piece using the adhesive on the back of the lights. I then had to drill a hole in the back of the plastic piece to run the wires through as the stock connector pins were completely corroded. After that, I siliconed the two pieces of the puddle light back together, as well as around the hole I had drilled.

After reinstalling the assembly, I wired it back up to the stock wiring in the mirror. However, after almost an hour of messing around, I realized that the ground for the puddle/signals was not going to work. I'm no electrician, but something about it simply wouldn't power the lights. Therefore, I simply spliced into the ground wire of the heated mirrors. Since both the power and ground of the heated mirror were both black, I used a test light to test for the ground.

I then put everything back together, and I must say I am very pleased with the results! The puddle light is great to have after not having it, and it is much brighter than the stock one, and matches my led interior lights perfectly! The signal also works much better.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Any pics of the process, and after pics of them working?
Pics man!!!
or it didn't happen

OP
OP
T

tylerr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thoughts like "i should take pictures of this" don't occur to me until after I'm done. I could probably go take some of the finished product though

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah, pics would be great.

Mine work, although there two different color leds. But they still get water in them and I wold love to change them out with something brighter.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I plan to re-do mine very soon. Driver side is out and needs fixing.. I would also like to throw some in the Signaling lights part as a Full time running lamp.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Mine work, but if it's easy enough, it might be time to mod away on them! Then again, since the weather got cold in November, mines been put up.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

joshlvsl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I bought new ones from EBAY the part number is 68302825AA they are a mopar part, also the back side of it is completely sealed so I think they should last. You can also find them at 1A Auto

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought new ones from EBAY the part number is 68302825AA they are a mopar part, also the back side of it is completely sealed so I think they should last. You can also find them at 1A Auto

That part number is for the tow mirrors. I haven't found one for the regular mirrors yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk