How To Install Amp Research Power Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CROD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had been in contact with AMP before the purchase. Just sent my problem to them to see if I can get some help. Maybe I'll call them directly and see. Doesn't help I'm kinda OCD and this bugs the crap out of me. I can't be the only one with this problem hopefully...:emotions122:

CROD

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had been in contact with AMP before the purchase. Just sent my problem to them to see if I can get some help. Maybe I'll call them directly and see. Doesn't help I'm kinda OCD and this bugs the crap out of me. I can't be the only one with this problem hopefully...:emotions122:

CROD

With the pinchweld before I installed the motor i jumped on the steps several times and never had a clearance issue.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello all. New to the forum. I have a late model 2015 1500 and I installed the 76139-01A a few weeks ago. Couldn't pass them up for the price I found them for. No crash bracket, but the holes were there for it. At first I was worried I needed the 76138 but if your truck was manufactured after June or July of 2015 and has the threaded holes for the crash bracket it will work. Initially I had issues with the pinch weld and ended up grinding it up until the steps would deploy. All seemed to be well until I noticed how aggressively the drivers side was retracting from an audible standpoint and feeling it as well. The passenger side is perfect and quiet other than the motor itself. The driver side step is making contact with the bottom of the gear housing on the idler. Somehow the foam wedges or stops are not stout enough to keep it from closing too far. I swapped motors from one side to another to see if maybe that was the issue but it didn't help. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having that issue and maybe knows a fix. Thx for any and all help

CROD

As far as the step folding in too aggressively I would
open the door
remove the fuse
remove the motor
make sure the step is bulled out all the way to the fully open position
reinstall motor and fuse and see if that clears things up.

CROD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Clearance not an issue at this point. I fixed that initially with a flap wheel. :893karatesmiley-thu
But I intend on swapping motors back to their original side and make sure the steps are all the way deployed. Which I'm positive I did by the book before but you never know. If that doesn't work then I'm assuming that the motor is off somehow.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have never heard anyone having this issue before. Something is not right or not correct arms.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Contact amp. They have great customer service.

Can you upload a quick vid of the problem?

CROD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I never updated my issues with the Amp Steps. It ended up being the torque sequence that I seen in a Silverado install video. Once I followed that correct sequence it solved my issue. Now with more than 4 years and 100k+ miles I’ve had zero issues. Other than the hard freeze 2021 we got here in Texas. One of the steps didn’t retract all the way. Just frozen and worked properly once temps got back to normal.