How to install Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That breather comes with the kit. The Vararam unit doesnt have a spot to hook the factory hose back into the intake. They do that on purpose though because that breather is pumping hot air back into the intake which is bad for performance.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
matt have you heard of anyone using nitrous with this intake? im thinking a plate would probably be the only way to do it right

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yep, a plate system is the way to go. A plate system is better than the nozzle anyways, but there isnt a secure spot to mount a nozzle on the Vararam, so the plate is what you would need.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i wonder if the plate would push up the vararam too much? i guess the only way to know is to try it

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
All you would do is trim about 1" off the red coupler that attaches the Vararam to the TB. The plate is about 1" thick, so just measure that, and cut that amount off the small coupler.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That breather comes with the kit. The Vararam unit doesnt have a spot to hook the factory hose back into the intake. They do that on purpose though because that breather is pumping hot air back into the intake which is bad for performance.

Matt, will this effect the emissions? I look forward setting it up.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I have always run a breather filter on my trucks, and never had a shop tell me anything about it. That's probably 1 of those items where if you dont say anything about it, they wont even notice.

MWeir91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very interested in this intake, but I've got a 3" body lift. Does anyone know if making this kit fit be as simple as adding a 3" extension to the red silicone attachment? or would it be a lot more messing around?

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm very interested in this intake, but I've got a 3" body lift. Does anyone know if making this kit fit be as simple as adding a 3" extension to the red silicone attachment? or would it be a lot more messing around?

Not completely sure but I think that would fix it ad you would be able to run it fine but maybe Matt can see this and answer it for sure

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Matt is sending me a taller coupling to fit my 3" body lift.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Correct...anyone with a body lift just needs to get the correct length coupler to lift the filter tray high enough so that it seals off against the hood.

For anyone with a body lift that orders this intake, please put the size of your body lift in the order notes so that we know to include the proper coupler for your truck.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone proved or disproved the +30HP they talk about on their website? This is an interesting idea that I haven't seen until today.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I dont know where they get the 30hp number because a chassis dyno cant replicate how real air moves at highway speed.

As far as installation goes, that pic that shows the installation of the air temp sensor says lock nuts with a 10mm socket. Is that for the sensor or is that talking about the band clamp on the coupler?
Cause there wasnt anything like that for my Air temp sensor. Mine is just being hugged in place by the coupler

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some high speed fans at the dyno maybe? When i attempted to dyno mine back in April, there was a GTO doing his run with a Vararam and requested to have the fan in front of his car during his runs. I just assumed that was the reason

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Like said, unless you are able to duplicate the force of air while driving 70mph, you wont see 30hp on a dyno. The performance gains have been documented many times at the dragstrip with most trucks dropping .2-.4 off their 1/4 mile times depending on weather. That kind of gain at the track is equivalent of a 30hp increase. Vararam is so confident of this that they even offer a no questions asked guarantee. In the past year, we have sold upwards of 200 Vararam units, and only 2 have come back because customers said they didn't feel the difference. Both of these were also returned in the heat of summer where no cold air intake is going to perform to its full potential. Even with the Vararam forcing in ambient air, that air is still 95-100* here in the south. This intake, in the cooler months to come, is going to show some great gains for those of you that are running 1.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
** taking notes and printing thread out**** now im just saving my pennies :) cant wait to place that order with moes :)

blackedoutNinja

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
does the battery dis connect to re-learn also count for any CAI install??

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct...anyone with a body lift just needs to get the correct length coupler to lift the filter tray high enough so that it seals off against the hood.

For anyone with a body lift that orders this intake, please put the size of your body lift in the order notes so that we know to include the proper coupler for your truck.

I've messaged you and still haven't gotten a message back on how to order just the 3in coupler from your website, or from you, or whether i need to call to order this part.

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi
I finished my installation yesterday (Thanksgiving).

It was a simple process, and I've noticed it really 'opens' the engine compartment.

A little different 'end result' was accomplished by retaining most of the radiator 'cover'.

I simply cut out a portion of the aforementioned cover - allowing the upper radiator and condenser to be 'protected' from objects that might end up damaging these (ala dropped tools, which I am prone to do).

This does not, IMO, restrict air flow, or if so, minimally with no ill affects.

Nov2820132013DodgeRam1500VararamintakeIMG_0089EDIT_zps1926595a.jpg